Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-06-2009, 01:05 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Confirmed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Sypher View Post
Charlie Haden has a confirmed Vuillaume right? Incredible that I can't find any photos of it on the web. Bass Player magazine did an article on Charlie about 15 years ago and had a nice photo of the bass on it's side.
I don't know all of who made what for Vuillaume but he employed many makers for Violins, Cellos, Basses and Bows as well. With his business and traveling I doubt that he made much of anything all by himself.

How do you confirm who made a bass if there were reportedly 3, 4, or 5 different makers that over time made these for him? If my Mougenot didn't have a label inside it would be attributed to Vuillaume as well. It has the same FFs as found on other Basses with his mark. Mougenot worked for and took over the shop of his brother Nicholas F. Vuillaume who reportedly made basses for JB when he worked with him before moving to Brussels.

So, is the Haden Bass a Vuillaume 'ordered' 'made' 'shop' 'contracted' bass or a bass made totally by the hand of JB? I have no idea. Also, at one time in France the 'Guilds' were in power in the violin field so Varnish, Scrolls and violin making were done by separate certified craftspeople.