Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 11-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Yeah, baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Smith View Post
Well here it is my new rig set-up, after talking with Dennis and Tim I sold all of my Ampeg gear purchased David Eden's equipment starting with the WT550 Bass Head supported by a 410XLT and 115XLT cabinet both cabs are 8 ohms but parallel linked together my impedance is 4 ohms.

Yeah, baby!

Still waitin on that report Al!

Old 11-04-2007, 07:28 PM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Absolutely Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Yeah, baby!

Still waitin on that report Al!
Tim as usual you are "The Man" the suggestions you gave were right on the money!!! I love the sound I'm creating with barely any adjustments what so ever. It like listening to a brand new Smith. When your right your right I loved my Ampeg rig, but honestly my new rig brings my sound to a new level.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Yep

Quote:
Tim as usual you are "The Man" the suggestions you gave were right on the money!!! I love the sound I'm creating with barely any adjustments what so ever. It like listening to a brand new Smith. When your right your right I loved my Ampeg rig, but honestly my new rig brings my sound to a new level.
Well, that is exactly what I expected to hear from you. Congrats and enjoy! Remember, you can take the load down to 2-Ohms and get an add'l output of 250W !!! You may not need it, but you can.

Also, when you don't need to use the cab's, you'll have to try using the 550 as a DI sometime. The soundman will love you!

Old 11-10-2007, 05:53 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool BT5 Elite Meets Eden

Here's a shot of my new traveling rig, David Eden 410XLT CAB - WT-550 Bass head and my Ken Smith BT5 EG Elite made in 2001
Old 11-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Here's a shot of my new traveling rig, David Eden 410XLT CAB - WT-550 Bass head and my Ken Smith BT5 EG Elite made in 2001

A dynamite set up, Brother Al! Congrats!! My first new Eden acquisition will most likely be the D210XST. I'm working on it now...
Old 11-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Go 4 the 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
A dynamite set up, Brother Al! Congrats!! My first new Eden acquisition will most likely be the D210XST. I'm working on it now...
Ronson great to hear from you my brother, are you sure the 210 will handle the venue your currently in? I know travel wise it's light and easy to transport but I think you might want to reconsider and go for the 410 as it will afford you the ability to handle much bigger venues when you venture out to other places of worship. Just something to think about ultimately you know your own needs.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Eden 210XST

Quote:
Ronson great to hear from you my brother, are you sure the 210 will handle the venue your currently in? I know travel wise it's light and easy to transport but I think you might want to reconsider and go for the 410 as it will afford you the ability to handle much bigger venues when you venture out to other places of worship. Just something to think about ultimately you know your own needs.
The Eden 210XST is (IMO) THE best 210 Cab. on the market. At 500W at 8-Ohms, it can flat bring it! I would encourage you to get it Ronson. Then later, if you need to add another Cab., then definately get the 410XST or 410XLT. Particularly, if you match them with the WT-550 (I highly recommend this amp)! The WT-550 will give you 500W at 4-Ohms and 750W at 2-Ohms. Then, you will have all the flexibility you'll most likely ever need.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up Done Deal

Quote:
The Eden 210XST is (IMO) THE best 210 Cab. on the market. At 500W at 8-Ohms, it can flat bring it! I would encourage you to get it Ronson. Then later, if you need to add another Cab., then definitely get the 410XST or 410XLT. Particularly, if you match them with the WT-550 (I highly recommend this amp)! The WT-550 will give you 500W at 4-Ohms and 750W at 2-Ohms. Then, you will have all the flexibility you'll most likely ever need.
Well if Tim say's it what's pop-in I guess you have to go with it. Tim definitely knows what he's talking about.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:54 PM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Smile MP3 sound clips of you Ken Smith with the Eden setup

Tim & Al - is it possbile for you to record a few sound clips what your bass sounds like - with the DE setup. Some ideas are:

DE with the front pickup
DE with the back pickup
DE with both pickups
DE with your favoriite tone
DE for Fingerstyle
DE for Thumping (or slapping as it is called now)

That would really make this thread - exciting to say the least
Old 11-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rhodes View Post
Tim & Al - is it possbile for you to record a few sound clips what your bass sounds like - with the DE setup. Some ideas are:

DE with the front pickup
DE with the back pickup
DE with both pickups
DE with your favoriite tone
DE for Fingerstyle
DE for Thumping (or slapping as it is called now)

That would really make this thread - exciting to say the least
Chris,

With Mike Smith's help, I started a thread about 5 months ago under "Music [BG]" : "Member Bass Clips". There is an upload filesize limitation (for obvious reasons) of, I believe, 5MB. I chose a short 30 sec. clip for this reason.

My clip is just a flat recording of my Smith Cocobolo 5EG. The link below will take you to the thread and my clip (as well as others).

http://www.smithbassforums.com/showthread.php?t=367

I am assuming that "DE" means David Eden. As far as getting a mix from my Eden Set-up??? Maybe some day when I have more time.

Realistically, trying to provide a sample sound clip of a DE set-up compressed down to an .mp3 would not be the best representation of the DE sound. If you really want to hear a DE set-up: Listen to it in a live situation. That way you can REALLY hear how good these rigs sound and I am sure you won't be disappointed. Especially with a properly set-up Smith Bass.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 11-12-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
The Eden 210XST is (IMO) THE best 210 Cab. on the market. At 500W at 8-Ohms, it can flat bring it! I would encourage you to get it Ronson. Then later, if you need to add another Cab., then definately get the 410XST or 410XLT. Particularly, if you match them with the WT-550 (I highly recommend this amp)! The WT-550 will give you 500W at 4-Ohms and 750W at 2-Ohms. Then, you will have all the flexibility you'll most likely ever need.
Al & Tim, I appreciate all the valuable info, and please keep it flowing, will ya?

Tim, I believe you are right on with your assessment. Going on your reccomendation and all the research I've done, the Eden D210XLT or XST are clear top choices for the money. And, check this out: I ran into a guy who, instead of running the very fine 410 cab choice runs two 210's instead (both 4 ohm cabs)! He says to me "Ron, I sold myself on this setup a while ago, If I need to push more air, I just make two trips and load the two lighter 210's instead of my 410. I leave my 410 cab at the church, and save my back!" For me, that made sense!

Plus, you get to take that WT550 down to a 2 ohm load (750 watts) with the two cabs, and really push some air! I'm really thinking about this, guys.

Al, I'm leaning toward the XST, as it pushes a bit more "low end" which I absolutely adore. And, I think I might be done with 8 ohm cabs for a while.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Love That Bottom!

Hey I ain't mad at ya my brother, there is nothing like a fat bottom to get the funk pop-in. Every player searches for that ultimate sound they conceptually create in their respective ear. You know I was an Ampeg man for ever, but I got to admit the sounds I'm creating with just a tweak of the "DE" controls is off the hook.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:17 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool 210xst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
Al & Tim, I appreciate all the valuable info, and please keep it flowing, will ya?

Tim, I believe you are right on with your assessment. Going on your reccomendation and all the research I've done, the Eden D210XLT or XST are clear top choices for the money. And, check this out: I ran into a guy who, instead of running the very fine 410 cab choice runs two 210's instead (both 4 ohm cabs)! He says to me "Ron, I sold myself on this setup a while ago, If I need to push more air, I just make two trips and load the two lighter 210's instead of my 410. I leave my 410 cab at the church, and save my back!" For me, that made sense!

Plus, you get to take that WT550 down to a 2 ohm load (750 watts) with the two cabs, and really push some air! I'm really thinking about this, guys.

Al, I'm leaning toward the XST, as it pushes a bit more "low end" which I absolutely adore. And, I think I might be done with 8 ohm cabs for a while.
I can see doin 2x210XST's, and yes, the XST's do shine a tad more on the bottom end. Choice of load (2, 4, or 8 Ohm) on the amp is obviously a choice, and only you can make it. 2 4-Ohm 210XST's will work great with the 550. Just keep in mind: Pushing air is key. You just have to decide how much air you will want and/or need to push. BTW, the 410 Cabs roll very nicely on wheels, LOL!

And Al, don't even second guess your choice of cabs (i.e. XST vs. XLT) here. What you have is also smokin!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 11-13-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:12 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
I can see doin 2x210XST's, and yes, the XST's do shine a tad more on the bottom end. Choice of load (2, 4, or 8 Ohm) on the amp is obviously a choice, and only you can make it. 2 4-Ohm 210XST's will work great with the 550. Just keep in mind: Pushing air is key. You just have to decide how much air you will want and/or need. BTW, the 410 Cabs roll very nicely on wheels, LOL!

And Al, don't even second guess your choice of cabs (i.e. XST vs. XLT) here. What you have is also smokin!

Ditto to Al, Tim. Al, you've some beautiful stuff, man! I have two frends of mine here in the Alamo City with the same set up as you, and they sound fabulous!

Tim, I also am going to try to unload my Traveler Plus so that I can get into a WT550, so wish me well. Brother Al, good "lookin' out" on the internet for those deals, bro! Please keep 'em comin' as time permits...
Old 11-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Junior Posting Member

Laurent Vergnac is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
Hello all Ken Smith bass players. My question for all you talented bass players is what kind of amps do yall play your basses out of? I for one have an Eden head, with a Goliath III cab.
I use a SWR SM 500 into a 410 Mesa Boogie Diesel Cab (8ohm) to play my BSR6GN. It sounds pretty accurate for the money. Not the greatest sound though.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Heavy Weight Contender!

This is no "JOKE" this set-up is serious if your faint at heart don't try it, because your gonna LOVE it. Thanks Tim absolutely the BEST sounding rig I have ever owned. Expensive but worth every penny.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool I have no doubt.

Al,

I have no doubt.

Having a good idea of what you wanted to hear; this is a Great choice you've made.

My first Eden rig was an 8-Ohm 410XLT and 115XLT. I used the WT-800 to drive them (I used Bridged Mono (800W+) to push both speakers.

Enjoy!

Old 11-15-2007, 11:53 AM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

I'll repost the pic of mine just to illustrate heavy weight contender status..

That puppy is a back breaker, but man it sounds sweet.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 11-15-2007, 12:39 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Here it is....

Ok, Ok, I've been asked several times to show my rig. So, sorry for the delay. Here it is:

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p...n/DSCF0050.jpg

Sound? Power? Punch? Tone? Coverage?........Simply put: Devastating.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 12-10-2007 at 08:53 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:56 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Yep, that looks like a painful back as well. Well done!!

My band's site:
Delusional Mind