Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Amps, etc. [DB]

Old 06-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Bag in the Wings...

A year ago I talked with TKL about their high end Deluxe Bag and where the handles are placed. they made me a sample and it was fairly nice. Also, I don't like the feel of the heavier outer Codura material even though it is better than what is found on the Mooradian and Bobelock Cases which I have owned both. I have asked TKL to make me some samples in a smoother feel type Nylon outer and I will also make the case in a few sizes. Currently the 4/4 is actually a 7/8ths and would not fit either my Prescott or large Olde English Bass. I will make a 3/4 to fit old and modern shouldered Basses combined, a 7/8ths with a little extra room for an Extension and a true 4/4 Bag for Basses with bouts up to 30" and height of 78-80" internally. I will not make every size Bag possible but the main two and a third for those larger Orchestral Basses.

The goal is a light weight, well padded cover with the handles in the right place. Also, TKL has the best zippers I have found on all the cases including the two I mentioned as well as the Kolstein bags I have had, the JR bag with the wheels from eastern Europe which is also sold by Gollihur and might be the same that Upton sells as it looks about the same to me.

I actually sprained my hand/thumb area putting on a heavy case last month and luckily had a lighter Bow to use that week and a softer feeling smaller 3/4 bass for the concert. I have never before hurt myself putting a cover on before that in my 40+ years of Bass.

We need a good case that can be carried and put on easily with the handles in the right place and for a fair price. We don't need one bullet or bat proof with rear wheel drive!

This is a current goal of mine. When they come available, I will make the announcement here on the forum as well as my Website. It will be a KSB Bag made for and designed by me.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:35 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Ken, did anything come of this (good) idea?

I like my old Reunion Blues bag ok, but I often have to use other horrid cases and wonder why someone doesn't make a simple, lightweight bag without all the extra armor, padding, handles, straps, etc... Just some good cushion around the edges, a decent handle or two in the RIGHT place, and rings to hook on a good strap!

Oh, and waterproof would be nice - last I checked basses don't need to breath and my when it rains, my bag gains weight by the second and takes at least a day to dry...
Old 05-24-2010, 11:44 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Unhappy well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
Ken, did anything come of this (good) idea?

I like my old Reunion Blues bag ok, but I often have to use other horrid cases and wonder why someone doesn't make a simple, lightweight bag without all the extra armor, padding, handles, straps, etc... Just some good cushion around the edges, a decent handle or two in the RIGHT place, and rings to hook on a good strap!

Oh, and waterproof would be nice - last I checked basses don't need to breath and my when it rains, my bag gains weight by the second and takes at least a day to dry...
Some how they misplaced the Bag I marked up and just recently contacted me to try it again. I feel bad that I spoke too soon.
Old 05-24-2010, 12:42 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

Hey, I think we all appreciate the effort; I look forward to whatever you come up with.