Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > German/Czech Shop Basses

Old 03-08-2012, 10:35 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Hofner Basses..

Having owned a 35 year old Hofner 5-String Double Bass for a couple of years now my curiosity has grown little by little about this company. A little over 2 years ago I was emailing back and forth with the Hofner company about the differences between a brand they made and their own. The one I have is from 1977. One person in the industry thought they were made by Wilfer. For what reasons I don't know. Maybe because both companies have been in the same area (Bubenreuth) since the end of WWII and because they are both made in the same style as well, the German Gamba shaped Round Back Bass.

Hofner replied that THEY make these basses and have no connection with the Wilfers. So, now I have it straight. Also, the internal and external construction details are slightly different between the Wilfers I have seen and this Hofner I have. So, if made by the same shop, some of those details would be closer if not exact with exception to the Label or brand.

I once asked a dealer friend of mine, "why do all the German Gamba basses look the same but are made by different makers and different periods?" or something to that effect. His reply, "it's the Germans. They get an idea and stick with it".

So, that's just another opinion. Today I asked Hofner via Email the same question, why do they look alike, Wilfers(Juzeks), Pfretzschners, Hofners, etc. His reply was "This is due to our common Franconian sense of style and aesthetics, simple as that".

The playability of this shape is one of the most comfortable you will find. My bass has more of an Eb neck than a D which I prefer to reach the upper notes transitioning into thumb position. Also, I moved the bridge up a bit from the F-notches and have it set at 41 1/4" now from its original 41 3/4" length. This is also more comfortable for me. If need be, I can move the bridge back down 1/2" and the heel will be closer to a D-neck in just a few minutes time. For now, I am at home with it as it's set.
In a day or so I will send him a picture of the Label in my 5er so he can try and look up what model it was in 1977 as the models now are slightly different.
I think the Beatles are to blame for the image of Hofner as manly a Guitar companywhen they have been making bowed string instruments for well over a century now.

I will be taking my Hofner 5er out this weekend (or at least tomorrows dress rehearsal) to play an Orchestra concert. With my Neuner gone now, I have to choose another 'work-horse' instrument or at least for Orchestra. Maybe, just maybe I can use the Hofner and not play any accidental double-stops in place of single notes.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up 5er in rotation..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I will be taking my Hofner 5er out this weekend (or at least tomorrows dress rehearsal) to play an Orchestra concert. With my Neuner gone now, I have to choose another 'work-horse' instrument or at least for Orchestra. Maybe, just maybe I can use the Hofner and not play any accidental double-stops in place of single notes.
Well, if anyone cares, I used the 5er on Saturday as well. It was better than expected as the low end of this bass is better on stage than I thought from just testing it in the office. I was playing next to a full sized Pollmann Maggini model (looks more Panormoish to me) and was worried I might not have enough power to compete. On the break, the 3rd bassist commented how deep and plush as well as powerful the Low B-string notes were as I did take a few notes down the octave to smooth out the passage. I was happily surprised to hear that I was cutting thru the bigger bass between us. Tomorrow, I have a Beethoven rehearsal and will take it out again. I think the more I play it, the easier it becomes to play with the tighter spacing and extra string.

The key things in playing a 5er so far as compared to a 4-string is remembering the A is in the middle and the B is the lowest string. Also, I have to reach over a bit more for the G.

I think the few hours of play the bass had this weekend was maybe more than it had the past 35 years. It feels like it's just opening up after being asleep for the past 3 1/2 decades.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool 1971 catalog

I just got this link from Hofner in Germany, their 1971 catalog. My bass was the 5-9 model.

http://www.hofner-guitars.com/galler...ogue-1971.html