Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 09-07-2010, 01:35 PM
Junior Posting Member

Henry Roberson is on a distinguished road
Default Ramp?

I've been mostly playing my Ken Smith BT6 for the past couple of years and one thing that I've found could improve its playability FOR ME is a ramp. The goal is to even out my attack by limiting over-travel of my plucking fingers from the bridge pickup to just beyond the neck pickup, leaving some space for thumb-style funk.

Does anyone have experience with a finger ramp for Smith BT6 style basses? Pre-fabricated, custom, I don't mind as long as it's functional and doesn't detract from the bass' character.

Thanks Smith Players...
Old 09-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Posting Member

Anton Hasias is on a distinguished road

Hi Henry,

I find the ramp very helpful for the fretless bass.(thanks to the master mind of Gary Willis).
Considering the use of the ramp with fretted basses I never liked it even if, as I saw to several other brands and talk web sites, it's considered "hot" or "hype" (the following sheep syndrome to my opinion - sorry).
Anyway if it works well for you for the BT6, then you have to use it for sure and take full advantage of the improvement of your tone of course.
I think that asking the local luthier to have it done is more inspired and cheap, opposed to the over, over priced handmade ramps made by some very prestigious brands.

Best regards
Old 09-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Junior Posting Member

Henry Roberson is on a distinguished road

Anton Hasias, thanks for the response. I'm not a fan of randomly modding my instruments in the name of the latest new thing, especially not "Junior." I'm still not completely sold on it if it involves drilling and so on.

I will definitely consider your advice and again thanks.
Old 09-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Junior Posting Member

Ben Rose is on a distinguished road

Henry,

You do not have to drill into the instrument. The ramp on my fretted bass is pressure fit between the two pickups. The ramp on my fretless is attached with a double sided tape (since it has only 1 pickup). I would not use the tape option with a gloss finish, and would be very selective of the adhesive type if you go that route. Another thing to consider is that over time, exposure to light will change the color of your instrument, but the area under the ramp will change less because it is not exposed to light. This won't look so hot if the ramp is removed.

In any rate, you could certainly experiment with it for relatively little cost. It is, after all, just a block of wood. Not too hard to make. You could even glue a little bit of cloth to the bottom and sides to ensure you don't scratch a lovely Smith while you're installing it between the pickups.

If you like the feeling of playing with your fingers over the pickups, then give it a shot. I have been using a ramp since 2000 (thanks to the master mind of Gary Willis as Anton said). Unlike Anton, I like it for both fretted and fretless basses, although on the fretted I leave a gap between the neck pickup and the end of the fingerboard. To my suprise, it also helps when playing with a pick. To each his own.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols

What is the purpose of the RAMP? I just found out about them, but don't really know the purpose they serve.
Old 10-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
What is the purpose of the RAMP? I just found out about them, but don't really know the purpose they serve.
Generally speaking, if you are a fingerstyle player, it helps with your speed. Your fingers are limited to "digging in" at the top of the ramp, thus, you are able to reduce finger drag over the strings as you play.

I personally don't subscribe to the "ramp". I think you can accomplish the same technique without it. However, I do see the logic behind the use of it.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:18 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb speed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Generally speaking, if you are a fingerstyle player, it helps with your speed. Your fingers are limited to "digging in" at the top of the ramp, thus, you are able to reduce finger drag over the strings as you play.

I personally don't subscribe to the "ramp". I think you can accomplish the same technique without it. However, I do see the logic behind the use of it.
Stanley Clarke, Jaco or even Bill Dickens didn't use ramps except for driving a car up a hill.. lol

You know guys that play faster then them with the right notes? And, is faster than them necessary?
Old 10-20-2012, 01:23 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
....You know guys that play faster then them with the right notes? And, is faster than them necessary?
With the exception of Jeff Berlin, no, but that doesn't mitigate the intended purpose behind the use of the ramp. Some players need all the help they can get, lol.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 10-20-2012 at 01:39 PM.