Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Music [DB] > Classical and Symphony Bass Playing

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2007, 01:47 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question Beethovans 3rd and 9th...

I play the 3rd next week and I play the 9th on May 5th. Do I put the 9th away and concentrate ONLY on the 3rd and then shed the 9th or work on the 9th as well over the next week?

I played the 9th about 35 years ago and don't remember a thing. The 3rd is no piece of cake but the 9th looks like a nightmare! I must do a good job next week as well so I was just wondering if anyone out there has been in my shoes before and might have some advice.

Don't take too long as I rehearse tonight and next Tuesday and play the 3rd on Wednesday. To make things worse, we are also playing the Russlan & Ludmilla Overture at about 600 mph as well as the Sibelius Violin Concerto with a guest Violinist from the Philly Orch (Paul Roby). That is the easiest of the three but not easy by any measure so I have my work cut out.

My main dilemma is the 9th and very little time to work on it. I was busy with the Mahler that I just did Saturday and the Conductor told me in the parking lot afterwards "way beyond my expectations" (as far as my little Solo went). He emailed me today and said "Your solo exceeded all expectations Friday night and was well above anything you did in rehearsals. Bravo! It was my personal highlight of the evening!". Actually it was 'fair' in my mind. I played it perfectly in every rehearsal except one which he happened to remember so anything was an improvement..lol

So as you can see, I am expected to pull it off as if I have nothing else to do in my life..lol