Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Jazz/Pizz

Old 12-11-2008, 11:23 PM
Posting Member

Adrian Juras is on a distinguished road

I had to dig up this thread(since I have just joined partially), because this subject has been something I have really been on the fence about throughout my playing from almost the start. There is NOTHING like the sound of a bass with gut strings across the board, into a mic. I don't think you can get either the sound or more importantly the "feel" or same pulse with steel strings. The response is totally different. However, there is something to be said for the clean, sustaining, and lyrical quality of steel strings in the upper register for soloing. I don't know... sometimes I can tolerate playing with gut strings and no amp, but when the leader calls over for me to turn up, or we have a noisy crowd, it can be a drag.
Old 06-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Junior Posting Member

Andreas Henningsson is on a distinguished road

So, now I've played guts for a while and I love it! Feels like I'm home. The only problem right now is that I got a regular Chorda E on and it's damn thick... I like the sound of it (well the sound I can get...) but I have to practice more with it. I understand why your special Chorda is lighter in gauge, Carlos! Before I got the Chorda I had a Garbo E which blends great with the guts, but it's just not gut...
Old 06-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

Oh but come on, Andreas. You're just not man enough to play that thick E! People have played spun gut for many hundreds of years. It's nothing to be ashamed about. But don't put your Garbo back before I can come over and test drive your chorda.
Old 06-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Junior Posting Member

Andreas Henningsson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Larsson View Post
Oh but come on, Andreas. You're just not man enough to play that thick E! People have played spun gut for many hundreds of years. It's nothing to be ashamed about. But don't put your Garbo back before I can come over and test drive your chorda.
Don't you worry Joel! A thinner wound gut E is on its way! But I will keep the Chorda for a while. It's starting sound and feel pretty good.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road
Default video from aquila gut string "factory"

here is a great video from the aquila string factory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_Cwe...e=channel_page

very interesting: they talk about a small village in italy where many great stringmaker-families come from: d´addario, pirastro, savarez, la bella, galli etc.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Wink well..

I have since tried them and moved on (the Carlos set!). I played Gut in High School and should have left it at that. For the playing I do which these days is mostly Orchestral, I prefer steels like Flexocor or Belcantos, period!

As a matter of fact, I got this Hawkes Bass recently (Carlos knows the bass.. lol) and the first thing I did was take the Guts off and put on some Flexocors.

So if Gut strings rock that's just fine. I don't play Rock!
Old 01-10-2010, 04:36 PM
Senior Posting Member

Calvin Marks is on a distinguished road

I agree that there is a special sound and feel of playing on real gut strings. I'm talking about plain gut BTW not wound gut like Eudoxa or Oliv. If you're playing jazz then I couldn't imagine playing on anything but gut but for orchestral playing plain gut just doesn't work.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvin Marks View Post
I agree that there is a special sound and feel of playing on real gut strings. I'm talking about plain gut BTW not wound gut like Eudoxa or Oliv. If you're playing jazz then I couldn't imagine playing on anything but gut but for orchestral playing plain gut just doesn't work.
Really? If you played Jazz and had to push a Band or Big Band or played solos you would see soon why Ray Brown, Milt Hinton, Sam Jones and just about every player I have known CHANGED to Steels..

Audibly, the Guts are too slow and they make you play harder to hear yourself. I see no need at all to play guts at all unless you are playing period music. Even then, any good old bass with bowing steels will sound just about as good in my opinion.

I have played Vivaldi, Bach, Hayden and Mozart concerts mainly with one Bass and two Cellos (Chamber-like) and they loved my sound. Bowing Steels all the way with an old English or Italian bass. No one mentioned after first hearing me that I needed Gut, NO one!

Is that Period enough or we need to go earlier?

Maybe you Gut seekers just need an Older bass, you think?
Old 01-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Posting Member

Phil Maneri is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post

Maybe you Gut seekers just need an Older bass, you think?
Hah! That's funny. And probably true I think. That's what I needed.

Phil Maneri
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
Fifth Avenue Fret Shop
Columbus, OH USA
Old 01-20-2010, 10:36 PM
Posting Member

Nathan Parker is on a distinguished road

Well, in contrast to the latest consensus that has been formed, gut is where it's at for me.

Ken was generous enough to trade me his broken in set of Carlos Henriquez Pirastro Chorda strings for a broken in set of Spirocores. I don't know if I will ever go back. I've switched to the regular Chorda's now, but might go back to the C.H. diameters, as that regular Chorda E string is quite the monster. Great sound, but it ain't easy to play.

The things I really enjoy about gut strings is the tone and the feel. The sound is so unique and it seems to be impossible to replicate. It is very warm and full to my ears, but it also has a blunt and un-complex quality that I like very much. It's almost as if the bass is more akin to a timpani than a violin or cello. And, the feel and tension are quite the delight. Pizzicato, there seems to be a larger palate of tonal color, which can be changed by variations in right hand position and pulling technique. Lastly, the lower tension allows me to raise the string height and still play without pain, which means more volume for me. I have taken to playing without an amp lately, so that is definitely a help.

I know there are downsides to the gut strings, but for me and my needs, the pros outweigh the cons.

Last edited by Nathan Parker; 01-20-2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: spelling maybe. italian words are hard
Old 01-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool well,

I think in some styles and for some players they work best. I had a set of Labella gut in a bass a few years ago and they were fun for pizz on the bass I had them on but after one Orchestra rehearsal they came off. They just didn't blend well.

I like all things bass to be smooth. Gut to me under my ear just isn't!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:58 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I like all things bass to be smooth. Gut to me under my ear just isn't!
Is that just a gut feeling Ken?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:38 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Default ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
Is that just a gut feeling Ken?
No, it's in the ear!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:

I have played Vivaldi, Bach, Hayden and Mozart concerts mainly with one Bass and two Cellos (Chamber-like) and they loved my sound. Bowing Steels all the way with an old English or Italian bass. No one mentioned after first hearing me that I needed Gut, NO one!
?
Ken, there's a difference between playing Baroque and Classical music in a modern settings versus in a period setting - completely different context. There's no such thing as period music without gut strings, just like there's no such thing as modern orchestral music without metal strings (I consider Olivs and Eudoxa to be metal strings). Metal isn't better than Gut, they're just different and one may not be appropriate for certain types of music...If you showed up to a TRUE period gig with metal strings you'd be asked to leave.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:00 PM
Senior Posting Member

I should also mention that gut is way easier on the left hand as they're much lower in tension and softer so you don't have to press down as hard.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:09 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up ok..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Stark View Post
Ken, there's a difference between playing Baroque and Classical music in a modern settings versus in a period setting - completely different context. There's no such thing as period music without gut strings, just like there's no such thing as modern orchestral music without metal strings (I consider Olivs and Eudoxa to be metal strings). Metal isn't better than Gut, they're just different and one may not be appropriate for certain types of music...If you showed up to a TRUE period gig with metal strings you'd be asked to leave.
Thank's for the lesson old timer..
Old 01-23-2010, 02:15 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Thank's for the lesson old timer..
Playing experience has nothing to do with age - wisdom does, and that is why I'm not wise yet! I speak zee truth!

I'm not suggesting we all try and replicate the same sound as Domenico Dragonetti, we can leave that up to John Feeney .

But in all seriousness, gut strings do "rock", and they're definitely under appreciated. Unfortunately I think their high price is the biggest deterrent for most serious players.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Default oh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Stark View Post
I should also mention that gut is way easier on the left hand as they're much lower in tension and softer so you don't have to press down as hard.
Well I did play on Guts all thru High school but what do I know?

Aside from all this 'purity' talk, if you are trying to play bass professionally today for the most part, Gut's will not get you there. Even with a better bass, you need the best strings to match that your Bass actually likes.

Just my opinion ..
Old 01-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Well I did play on Guts all thru High school but what do I know?

Aside from all this 'purity' talk, if you are trying to play bass professionally today for the most part, Gut's will not get you there. Even with a better bass, you need the best strings to match that your Bass actually likes.

Just my opinion ..
Guts in a modern orchestra today? No, that will not work and would be silly to attempt. Though, there are many orchestral players that use wrapped guts like Olivs or Eudoxas...These don't sound anything like "real" gut but they have a really nice sound.

I do a lot of playing with baroque groups so I have several sets of oiled up sheep gut strings to put on...I also play with a lot of modern groups so I have a lot of metal strings...Different music, different context.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:46 PM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road

So what we REALLY need is two instruments! One for your regular gigs, and one that will make those hardcore baroque people call you up. You know, the ones sneering at anything newer than C.P.E. Bach, and at anything spun other than possibly the E string. Period music is becoming all the rage, it seems, and those baroque guys simply won't call you if you don't have the right gear. Then, it can be a really crappy bass, and sound sh1t when you play—at least you'll be playing on Gut, and they'll be satisfied. Maybe you can even purchase the cheapt 'baroque' bow you can find, and they'll be all fired up.
(Sometimes, I get the feeling that what these guys really do want to hear is a bit of rock'n'roll attitude, and they couldn't care less about the tonal quality. I kind of sympathize with that. )

Anyways, that's what it's like in Scandinavia. You go all-in, or you're not in. Of course, the orchestras still do classical symphonies and the occasional Baroque mass, and maybe the leader will try to impose some supposedly old style phrasing on the reluctant musicians brought up in the 20th century, maybe they'll even go as far as to change the E string of the violins to gut... but here we're talking project or freelance type ensembles specialized in period playing, and—as a freelancer—any gig is a gig you don't want to miss, so you better stand and deliver.

Edit: Oops, Calvin managed to sneak in a reply while I was writing, basically saying the same thing but with fewer words... I'l learn to express myself more concisely, and next it'll be me who posts first!!