Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This New Bass > German/Czech Shop Basses

Old 09-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Posting Member

Brian Glassman is on a distinguished road
Default Care to venture an opinion on origin?

Ken, not sure if you saw my question about origin the the integral bass bar thread so I'm posting it here.

I've been told German perhaps 1920's and there is a small stamp/imprint in the lower bout rib near the end pin that reads GERMANY.

It used to have typical individual hat-peg style tuners.

http://picasaweb.google.com/10778581..._03caQxLqZzwE#

Thnx, BG
Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up origin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Glassman View Post
Ken, not sure if you saw my question about origin the the integral bass bar thread so I'm posting it here.

I've been told German perhaps 1920's and there is a small stamp/imprint in the lower bout rib near the end pin that reads GERMANY.

It used to have typical individual hat-peg style tuners.

http://picasaweb.google.com/10778581..._03caQxLqZzwE#

Thnx, BG
Oh, ok. I didn't think there was any question on that at all in your last thread. The period seems right, between the two wars. The scroll button to me suggests The German/Bohemian border area and shop made. The button being hand carved as it looks slightly off center.

On the integral bar area, don't look so deep on that factor alone. This is something done for hundreds or years. I have even seen it on an Italian bass once. It's a shortcut that needs to be corrected before it causes self damage. If the bar wasn't important, why did they leave a chunk of wood pretending it had one? Over time, the pressure from the bridge will move the wood to sink or crack. One good thing maybe is that with an integral bar, there is no 'spring' in it. A bar well fitted with no spring set across the grain slightly and towards the outer lower bout will help spread the sound better across the top while supporting it. From what I have seen, 'springing' the bar only creates tension in the top that will eventually cause it to sink or implode. I see nothing at all good about a bar being 'sprung in'.

Your 1920s German origin seems spot on.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Posting Member

Brian Glassman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Oh, ok. I didn't think there was any question on that at all in your last thread. The period seems right, between the two wars. The scroll button to me suggests The German/Bohemian border area and shop made. The button being hand carved as it looks slightly off center.

On the integral bar area, don't look so deep on that factor alone. This is something done for hundreds or years. I have even seen it on an Italian bass once. It's a shortcut that needs to be corrected before it causes self damage. If the bar wasn't important, why did they leave a chunk of wood pretending it had one? Over time, the pressure from the bridge will move the wood to sink or crack. One good thing maybe is that with an integral bar, there is no 'spring' in it. A bar well fitted with no spring set across the grain slightly and towards the outer lower bout will help spread the sound better across the top while supporting it. From what I have seen, 'springing' the bar only creates tension in the top that will eventually cause it to sink or implode. I see nothing at all good about a bar being 'sprung in'.

Your 1920s German origin seems spot on.
Hey Ken, Thanks so much for your expert opinion. Much appreciated. I've long noticed the off center button carving as well. Interesting that that may tie it to the German/ Bohemian border area.

In regards to the bass bar I think for the time being I'll leave well enough alone as the top has some healthy arch to it and there doesn't seem to be any sign of sinkage or cracks in that area. I've had this bass for almost 25 years and it's been a great Jazz+ workhorse. It's tone is nice and punchy w/ some growl and not w/o some complexity. Since it's new FB and CF rod it's pretty loud as well for a 3/4. It of course does not have the lush gravitas and response of my Prescott gamba, but it's more mid-rangey character is useful for cutting thru large and louder Jazz ensembles or bad acoustics.

My In-laws live in Broomall. One of these days when I'm out there I'll try to make it over to Perkasie w/ a bass or 2. All the best, BG
Old 09-22-2010, 05:02 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Glassman View Post
My In-laws live in Broomall. One of these days when I'm out there I'll try to make it over to Perkasie w/ a bass or 2. All the best, BG
Ok, sounds all good.