Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 12-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Mark Bass - LM II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rhodes View Post
I used the Mark Bass head, LMKII, + Bag End 4x10 cabinet + Ken Smith BMT G 6-string bass. I had more than enough power with the LMKII running 300 watts with an 8Ohmn load from the cabinet.

I do understand one of the "requirements" is for a USA model - however - do not overlook the Itailian made amp - that only weighs 6.5 pounds.

The Smith tone was shining brightly with this amp. I ran it almost flat with little EQ for a full rich tone that the other band memebers noticed in a positive way.

In conclusion, do not overlook this model - a lot of players are converting.
Just picked up a Mark Bass LM II:

At a little over 6 Lbs, the LM II can flat bring it! This was my initial 30 minute LM II test-drive:

I ran the LM II into my Eden 212XLT(8) and 410XLT(8) Cab's. With EQ flat and Gain set at around 9 O'Clock to spark the Limiter.....(that is, with my Smith set flat and volume maxed); set VLE and VPF filters Off initially; turn up Master (somewhere around noon for starters) to get what I wanted out of the Cabs. Then, experimented with the VLE and VPF Filters. For starters, I adjusted the VPF Filter to around noon or so (I think this Filter is key to dialing in a great tone). The VPF Filter adds the highs needed for definition, shape, and clarity. The VLE Filter cuts Mids and I didn't care for that initially, so, after a few adjustments, I opted to leave it Off as it is the Mids where Bass gets it's definition and ability to "cut" through the mix. The results with my Smith BT5EG were very impressive: Very tight bass response with cutting mids with highs that sweetened up the total mix. I found that with the LM II, I didn't need to adjust EQ much beyond Flat, if any. With the LM II EQ set Flat, the EQ adjustments from my Smith gave me all the control I needed.

Overall, the LM II is a great Bass Amp and I would certainly recommend it to anyone wanting a 6.5 lb amp delivering a tight and punchy 500W at 4-Ohms. I don't think any bassist would be disappointed.

As a comparison of power, tone, and the ability to drive the Cabs, I A/B'd the LM II with my Eden WT-550. At 4-Ohms the comparison is more "apples-to-apples" as both amps deliver 500W. Set flat, I noticed similarities in tone, power and the ability to drive 2 8-ohm Cabs and get it done!

Again, the LM II is VERY impressive and was right there with the WT-550, but this would be where the comparison ended as there is simply more flexibility and options with the WT-550. While the WT-550 is heavier (20 lbs), it does have a few more VERY nice features. For example: A tube Pre-amp, Semi-Parametric EQ, Compression and an option to reach 750W at 2-Ohms (just to name a few). This is a big deal! Particularly, when it comes to using multiple Cabs to push the air needed to get it done. This is where the WT-550 is superior to the LM II, BUT, considering the weight, power, tone, ease of use, and price of the LM II; this is an amp that is getting some attention for obvious reasons. I think as these amps get more exposure and continue to invade the market (as we are beginning to see through Guitar Center), Eden will see some competition from Mark Bass.

Finally.......For me, all things being equal, the LM II will most likely be a keeper and a quality Bass Amp I think any bass player owes it to himself to try out.

Additionally, in a closer comparison, as far as size-to-size, weight-to-weight, dollar-to-dollar, power-to-power, tone-to-tone comparison's go, I would choose the compact 3.8 lb. Eden WTX-260 over the LM II due to the even-more compact size. With the tone, power to drive Cabs at 4-Ohms, and incredible DI w/DI Level Control (among other nice options), the Eden WTX-260 is one you don't want to overlook. Try it and see.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:18 PM
Junior Posting Member

Nakia Green Sr. is on a distinguished road

What are your thoughts on the Epifani gear? Ultra-light and powerful
Old 01-26-2008, 04:31 AM
Junior Posting Member

IanMcElroy is on a distinguished road
Default Really?

I'm surprised no one has said anything about the GK MB15012. That thing is cheap as hell, light, and sounds great. (In its price range) GK had a reliability issue a few years back but have really turned things around since then.

Another one is the Acoustic Image. That thing kills for electric and upright bass and is only 20lbs. If you want you can get the extension cab for louder gigs and it will still be under 40lbs. It sells for about $1050.00 and they have great warranty service. Made in the USA.

Ampeg has a great little cheap 112 but it wouldn't be very good at gigs because of the low power. Ampeg was sold to Loud Tech. and is now made in Vietnam.

Markbass has a great 112 combo that is everything you are looking for but it is made in Italy. I own some and it is great. It sells for around $1000 as well.

SWR is now made in Mexico. That was for an earlier post.

Epifani will blow you F'in socks off. It is light, it is awesome, and it is expensive!!! It is made in NYC. I own some as well and I hug it before I go to bed I like it so much. The only things wrong is it's getting up there in the weight, (48lbs) and the price.

I had some issues with some Eden gear so I stay very far away from them now. If you want to know why you can PM me. I'm not going into it here but if you want know I'll tell you.

The GK is everywhere so parts aren't an issue and the Acoustic Image is made in North Carolina. If you want cheaper I would go with one of those two. The Acoustic image is the better of the two and worth the extra $200 for the features and the fact it can be used with your upright as well.

I'm going to go hug my Epifani and go to bed.

Last edited by IanMcElroy; 01-26-2008 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Forgot to mention a company / misspelled get.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:18 AM
Junior Posting Member

Michael Harrison Jr. is on a distinguished road

I have the seperate cab and head units of http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...Amp?sku=482535
and love them. Not sure of the total weight on it, but the cab is very easy to carry in my opinion. Hell of a lot easier than the Peavy 115S I used to lug around (or did it lug me around >.> )

I'll be honest, the sound is a lot better and louder than I would have expected for the price. I bought it mostly as a very small venue, personal monitor kinda rig. It turned out so well I've used it with no issues in larger theaters.
Old 01-28-2008, 12:39 AM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Ken Smith Bass + LMKII = Superior Tone

Ive been playing my Ken Smith Basses a lot more lately. Especially since I got a LMKII + Bag End Speakers. What a difference for my Smith Basses. So much so - I changed the setup on my basses to a much faster action. IMO - the LMKII excels at converting quick riffs/phrases to the speakers.

I hope this makes sense - but the LMKII sounds quicker to my ear.

Also, with the price just under $600 for 500 watts at 4 ohms - its kind of tough to beat. I travel with my LMKII in a laptop case bag - with all the cables for amp - and a tuner.

One of the requirements at the start of this thread was "something light". The LMKII is 6.5 lbs.

The LMKII is made in Italy. So I have no clue as to how the service will be if something breaks. I have noticed that this amp does NOT get hot. Even when pushed hard for extended period of time. ...but still this amp has not been tested by me during the heat of the summer - outside with no shade.

I must also note - Tim B. has been thinking about the WT550 in a big way. I cannot wait to try one.

So my two-cents is... Ken Smith bass + LMKII = Superior Tone & Portability - the price point seems to be reasonable.

I am trading an ampeg sp210 (76lbs @220 watts) for my second LMKII this week

I saw a photo of a GK MB500. Similar to the LMKII - and made in the USA (I think made in the USA).

Here is the link to it: http://www.ernieball.com/forums/musi...namm-pics.html
Old 01-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Thinking about it?

Hey Chris,

I agree, the LMII is definately a nice amp and I do like it.

Oh, BTW, I haven't been thinking about a WT-550; I've been using the WT-550 for the last 3 years + and now have two of them. Truly wasn't much to think about though. With the right cab set-up, just plug in your Smith bass, let it work and be wowed! Really is a no-brainer.

Don't forget about the Eden WTX-260; a 3.5lb amp worth it's weight in gold.

BTW, just received my new Eden WT-1205 today. Oh my! But that's another topic and another thread start.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 01-28-2008 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Anyone tried the Markbass CMD-102P? It's a combo with 2-10's, weighs 44 lbs. Also, who sells those?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Who sells?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
Anyone tried the Markbass CMD-102P? It's a combo with 2-10's, weighs 44 lbs. Also, who sells those?
Check with Guitar Center. It appears they have become, at least initially, a major distributor for Mark Bass in the U.S.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:41 PM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Markbass Combo 2x10

Tim is right,

GC sells Markbass products here in the USA. The Markbass Combo 102P has a LMKII built into it. You can remove it. JUST FYI. It is very light for a combo.

I just traded my ampeg sp210 for a second LMKII - so one is home always ready for me

http://www.crjazz.com/gear/
Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Oh, and BTW.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Check with Guitar Center. It appears they have become, at least initially, a major distributor for Mark Bass in the U.S.
Oh, and BTW, Guitar Center does provide waranty service for Mark Bass here within the U.S.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Junior Posting Member

Fred DelSignore is on a distinguished road

There are several lightweight amps.

Genz Benz just came out with a couple of small combos. One of them is only 13 lbs (300 watt head and 8 inch speaker). They also have a 10" version that weighs 18 lbs. www.GenzBenz.com

Also, Henriksen has a small combo amp that is supposedly very much like the old Polytone amps. I believe Bob G sells them.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:04 AM
Junior Posting Member

Fred DelSignore is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
I have tried the LMII head with the 2x10 cab and it sounded fine with EB but don't know how it would be with URB. Guitar Center is the exclusive dealer in US.

I also have a Genz Benz NeoPak that can be set clean for URB and it sounds very good through an Epi UL110 cab with my URB.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road
Smile

I picked up a Roland Bass Cube 100 and I'm pretty amazed. The sound is way bigger than the amp's small size and 37 lbs. I played with drums and two guitars recently and the amp was totally adequate. The effects are fun, too. Got it for $399 and free shipping. It was a store return with full warrantee.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:17 PM
Junior Posting Member

IanMcElroy is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Amendment!!

The GK MB150s112 sounds like poop with a Ken Smith.

Sorry for ever mentioning it.
Old 02-26-2008, 07:29 PM
Junior Posting Member

Clay Upton is on a distinguished road
Default An Extravagant Solution...

So this is a pricey option, but I am absolutely in love with my Bergantino IP112, which is an HT112 cabinet (Jim's custom Eminence 12" and proprietary tweeter) coupled with an onboard 500W digital power amp (1000W w/extension cab) complete with cabinet tuning DSP and compression. The whole enchilada weighs 42 lbs and the volume is insane. I also have an HT112 extension cabinet which adds up to a 1000W mini stack from hell.

What's great is that different basses and preamps shape the sound as they're supposed to, without interference from the amp. My Sadowsky p-bass with flatwounds sounds equally at home through this rig as does my Smith, even though the two sounds are very different.

I think the only downside is the price...about $1900 for the IP112 and another $600 for the HT112 extension.

If bang for the buck is the order of the day, I vote for the new SWR 1x12 Working Pro combo. At $550, it's got everything you could ask for, including a side mounted input if you wanted to feed an line level source like a monitor mix and blend it with your bass). The tilt back cabinet makes it a bit bulky to transport, but it sounds good and it's relatively cheap.
Old 02-26-2008, 09:16 PM
Junior Posting Member

Craig Courtney is on a distinguished road
Default Mesa Walkabout

There are a couple of 12" versions of the Mesa Walkabout on E-bay with
some of the warranty still left on one of them.
This thing is a little 40 lb. plus animal.

The amp is 300w with a 12" speaker and an attenuated bass
tweeter for that high end snap.
Both are front loaded.
It also has an 8" passive radiator on the bottom which gives
quite a bit of low end for such a small amp.

I just sold a 15" version of this amp for under a grand.
The warranty is transferrable and I'm sure you could score one
off of those 12" models for under a grand.

The 15" version I had was a monster and could do everything
I needed it to do.
It weighed about 60 lbs.

I just graduated to a 4x10 Mesa rig and the only reason I sold the
combo is so I could bolster my Ken Smith 5 string fund.
Those little Walkabouts are worth looking into.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:33 PM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 - 210T

Folks,

I just tried this combo out this week, and I must tell you, for my needs, I was impressed!

I was originally looking very intently at the Mesa Walkabout Scout 12" when the salesman ("Bear" is his name), who is a HUGE Mesa Boogie fan, sugested I try this new rig that had just shipped to the store. I hooked up my Smith...

I was floored.

The amp is held in a "saddle" that's attached to the nice-sounding 210 cab w/compression tweeter (frankly, the permanently-attached saddle was the only slightly goofy thing I found on it). You can loosen to big thumb screws on each side of the saddle, take the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 amp out (it sports a tube preamp), and use it with any other cab you want. The whole thing (amp and cab) only weighs about 44 pounds. Pretty cool!

The BIG thing that got me going? The power of the easy-to-use amp. It only weighs 3.5 pounds, but pumps out a generous 375 watts at 8 ohms, and, get this - 600 watts at 4 ohms! Bear hooked up a 12" extension cab, and the smooth but powerful volume nearly knocked me off my stool!

I had really been interested in an Eden WTX 260 for portability, but for about the same money the WTX only delivers 175 watts at 8 ohms and 300 watts at 4 ohms.

Folks, I think I'm going to take the Genz Benz plunge. Check this gear out if you can. Any comments?
Old 04-04-2008, 04:33 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb neck is all black?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramon ramos View Post
God bless you, and I know He has Pastor R.C Hall. this is Bro Ramon from Refuge Temple of C.O.O.L.J.C in San Diego,CA. I was just looking up the Smith Forum's when I ran across your post. I also was looking around for a new Rig and I was also considering the Genz-Benz,Mesa-Boogie name's. my most impressed feature on the Benz was it's size, it's very portable. this was at guitar center, I asked the salesman is the 600 Watts rms! or when it peak's will the mosfet's signal split in half, I'm not sure if it had 4 or 2 Preamp's but iv'e alway's though that the signal is divided by 2 only giving half it's output in reality??maybe I'm wrong if so let me know.the Salesman goes on to say as the bassist in any venue, you must have as much wattage as you can afford??. so I held off and sometime later go online and ran across the name Carvin in San Diego with their new BX1200 Rig dual mono block this thing is a monster!! if you haven't already bought your new amp check this carvin out it is loud and clean 1200 watts,with all the bell's and whistle's included.I get to run my two 10's w horn driver on the high signal out and my bottom end come's out signal 2 to my carvin 18'' enclosure I use the recommended speakon cable's for a high current signal. well the head only cost me $649 but I guess if I could have afford it I would have gotten the best Genz-Benz they make and only because of my belief in wattage.Pastor Hall may I ask what are you currently using to send your anointed riff's up to heaven on your Smith 5, it's beautiful it look's like a Black Tiger 5?. I own a basic model BSR6M-Walnut but the back of the neck is all black? was this an option on smith's it's a 99' model
well Pastor I'm running out of space here lol :] keep holding it down, we all know the Spirit dwelleth in the low end. keep praising his name
Never. Someone must have painted it, not us. Sorry.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:12 AM
Junior Posting Member

ramon ramos is on a distinguished road
Default oh noooooooooo????????

ken thank's for catching that part on my post, i was kinda hoping someone would read it. i bought my smith online and well i thought that it was in original condition. i don't regret buying it ken, i love the neck profile!! it's theee best in the buisness. i just want to take the time now and let other smith owner's know to never,ever alter your smith, it just slash's it's value. thank's again ken
Old 05-13-2008, 05:00 PM
Junior Posting Member

Scott Reed is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
Folks,

I just tried this combo out this week, and I must tell you, for my needs, I was impressed!

I was originally looking very intently at the Mesa Walkabout Scout 12" when the salesman ("Bear" is his name), who is a HUGE Mesa Boogie fan, sugested I try this new rig that had just shipped to the store. I hooked up my Smith...

I was floored.

The amp is held in a "saddle" that's attached to the nice-sounding 210 cab w/compression tweeter (frankly, the permanently-attached saddle was the only slightly goofy thing I found on it). You can loosen to big thumb screws on each side of the saddle, take the Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 amp out (it sports a tube preamp), and use it with any other cab you want. The whole thing (amp and cab) only weighs about 44 pounds. Pretty cool!

The BIG thing that got me going? The power of the easy-to-use amp. It only weighs 3.5 pounds, but pumps out a generous 375 watts at 8 ohms, and, get this - 600 watts at 4 ohms! Bear hooked up a 12" extension cab, and the smooth but powerful volume nearly knocked me off my stool!

I had really been interested in an Eden WTX 260 for portability, but for about the same money the WTX only delivers 175 watts at 8 ohms and 300 watts at 4 ohms.

Folks, I think I'm going to take the Genz Benz plunge. Check this gear out if you can. Any comments?
+100

I've have been playing Mesa gear for years. I currently use an mPulse 600 (with a variety of Powerhouse cabs) but have been searching for an ultra-light rig for small gigs and sessions.

I was at Washington Music Center yesterday (Picking up my new BSR5MSG!!!!!! pics coming soon) and demo'd this small Genz Benz with the 1 x 12". It completely blew me away. Not only was it ultra-light, the volume and tone blew me away. It was crystal clear, tight and loud.

I'm a little afraid of Class D amps right now... too many horror stories and bad designs. I think I will let it mature a little before I buy one... but I will end up buying one.