Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 07-19-2014, 08:48 AM
Junior Posting Member

Sam Moreton is on a distinguished road
Default Old 2 band EQ Circuit.

I have a 92 BT6 with the old style 2 band circuit without the mid knob, does anybody know what frequencies the bass and treble pots adjust? I know nothing about electronics but I assume they control a range/bell? of frequencies, just looking for some insight into what I'm boosting/cutting from the bass.

Thanks
Old 07-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool estimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Moreton View Post
I have a 92 BT6 with the old style 2 band circuit without the mid knob, does anybody know what frequencies the bass and treble pots adjust? I know nothing about electronics but I assume they control a range/bell? of frequencies, just looking for some insight into what I'm boosting/cutting from the bass.

Thanks
The Bass is a shelf filter. it boosts or cuts from 20-100 cycles and as it does that. if affects higher freq's. as well to a less degree called 'roll off'.

The Treble is a Peak filter and raises or lowers from about a 3500-4k center, up and down with a roll off as well. The higher treble affected as well, less and less as you go up as well as the lower treble as it reaches the mids at a lesser degree.

The bass bosted all up will roll off into the low mids but overpowered by the stronger bass freq being boosted. The treble rolls down to the higher mids.

Use your ears and forget the numbers. Violin, Cello and D.Bass pros go by sound, not numbers when the choose an instrument. Just make sure your amp can push out all that you give it to reproduce.
Old 07-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Junior Posting Member

Sam Moreton is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the detailed response, just wanted to make sure I wasn't cutting and boosting the same frequencies.