Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Music [DB] > General Double Bass Music and Playing

Old 01-20-2011, 07:43 PM
Posting Member

Dave Martin is on a distinguished road
Default Holding your bass

I realize that this is below the elementary level for you guys, but the Niels Orstead Pederson videos (and the other jazz and classical bass videos I watched for the next couple of hours) lead me to ask if there's a generally accepted angle for holding a double bass while standing. The bluegrass and country guys I grew up watching pretty much let the side of the bass rest against them at a 90 degree angle, while the jazz and classical guys in the videos tend to keep it more so that a rear corner of the bass points towards them (call it a 45 degree angle). I see the need to keep it closer to 45 degrees for arco work (for unfettered access to the low strings), but since my work is primarily pizzicato, I haven't really thought about this sort of thing at all. But watching the videos makes me think that perhaps I should...

And while I'm thinking about it, where do you guys place your right thumb when playing pizz? On the side of the fingerboard? Undrneath the fingerboard? Floating in no particular place?

Sorry for the simple questions; I blame whoever posted the link to the Pedersen video...
Old 01-20-2011, 09:07 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
Sorry for the simple questions; I blame whoever posted the link to the Pedersen video...
Sorry, that was me.
The main thing about standing with the bass is balance and being able to reach the entire fingerboard. Personally, my left knee touches the back of the bass and the corner of the bass sort of rests on my hip bone. The balance is important for moving quickly around the bass. I also like how Edgar Meyer stands - sometimes it looks like the flat side of the bass is resting against him. I've tried that approach a lot and I really like it.
Hey, I'm just a guy from Wainuiomata but, for what they're worth, these are my off the cuff thoughts.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb humm

Depends on the bass, its girth, width and length, how you hold it, your technique, the height you use and the balance point of your own body.

Only a good teacher can guide you 1 on 1 during your lessons what 'might' work best for you. Then, practical use and hours on end will adjust itself. As time goes on, you will change dozens of times. Watch 100 guys and see 100 ways. If they drop the bass, don't use that way! lol
Old 01-21-2011, 01:02 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Depends on the bass, its girth, width and length, how you hold it, your technique, the height you use and the balance point of your own body.

Only a good teacher can guide you 1 on 1 during your lessons what 'might' work best for you. Then, practical use and hours on end will adjust itself. As time goes on, you will change dozens of times. Watch 100 guys and see 100 ways. If they drop the bass, don't use that way! lol
Yep, okay, that's pretty spot on.
Don't let my agreeing with you go to your head though.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:40 AM
Posting Member

Dave Martin is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies so far - this is one of those things that I've never thought about until all of a sudden I'm thinking about it...

But the way I stand and hold the bass changes all the time, apparently; sometimes (I was paying attention during this evening's show) the instrument is essentially vertical and it may (or may not be actually touching me. Other times, I find that I'm leaning into the instrument or I'm letting it lean into me. The fact that I'm singing a lot in this production changes things a bit, too, since I need to be able to get to the mic. Since I'll be pretty much on the road until the beginning of March, I'll either start to obsess about the instrument's position - or pretty much forget about it and maybe remember when the tour ends...
Old 01-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bin Hire is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
Thanks for the replies so far - this is one of those things that I've never thought about until all of a sudden I'm thinking about it...

But the way I stand and hold the bass changes all the time, apparently; sometimes (I was paying attention during this evening's show) the instrument is essentially vertical and it may (or may not be actually touching me. Other times, I find that I'm leaning into the instrument or I'm letting it lean into me. The fact that I'm singing a lot in this production changes things a bit, too, since I need to be able to get to the mic. Since I'll be pretty much on the road until the beginning of March, I'll either start to obsess about the instrument's position - or pretty much forget about it and maybe remember when the tour ends...
Dave, on the gig do what works. Do your practice at home. If you try things at home, and they work out, you'll incorporate them on the gig when you are ready.