Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 05-17-2013, 12:41 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb ISB Rochester, June 2013

I will be displaying at the ISB in June, less than 3 weeks from now.

I plan on having about 6 premium double basses on display and a few nice bows.

I will be in room 404. Please come and visit.
Old 05-18-2013, 10:43 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Good to know; thank you!

Old 05-21-2013, 10:28 AM
Junior Posting Member

Robert J Spear is on a distinguished road

Greetings, Ken, All-- Stop down and see me at my humble booth in room 120. Look for Singing Woods Violin Shop. You'll be amazed! You'll be terrified! But you won't be bored!
Old 05-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert J Spear View Post
Greetings, Ken, All-- Stop down and see me at my humble booth in room 120. Look for Singing Woods Violin Shop. You'll be amazed! You'll be terrified! But you won't be bored!
Terrified? Probably not unless you walk in my room with Tools..!!!!

I will be bringing (as of this date);

The Panormo school bass
The JB Allen bass
The J.T. Hart bass
The Mougenot bass
The Marconcini school bass
The Bollbach Lion bass

Robert, my booth will be a partial lesson in Bass history as well as a class in Restoration study. Two basses here were restored by Arnold Schnitzer, two restored by Robbie McIntosh, one restored by and one made by Jeff Bollbach. These are 3 of the top Luthiers around today doing 'violin grade' level restoration work. Re-restoring basses that were previously done to a lesser degree is a huge challenge when trying to correct and erase some of yesteryear's work and bring the instruments back into its original state but modified to today's standards as 4-string basses as well. Three of the basses listed above were born/made as 3-string basses. Two them still retain their original 3 gears and plates with thoughtful modifications to add the 4th string.

So Robert, you will not be bored in room 404. I can promise you that!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:43 PM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

I so wish I could be there... however, we are in exams that week and I can't get out.

Wish all the best to everyone and maybe next time!

Brian
Old 05-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Junior Posting Member

Robert J Spear is on a distinguished road

Hi, Ken-- There will certainly be no overlap! I think the oldest bass in my booth will still be a 21st-century instrument. Unfortunately, my assistant will not be able to be with me the entire time, so I'll be running my booth solo. That will greatly impact my ability to visit other booths and annoy their owners, but I will do my best. After all, what are friends for? I will definitely try to get up to the fourth floor first of all.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Terrified? Probably not unless you walk in my room with Tools..!!!!

I will be bringing (as of this date);

The Panormo school bass
The JB Allen bass
The J.T. Hart bass
The Mougenot bass
The Marconcini school bass
The Bollbach Lion bass

Robert, my booth will be a partial lesson in Bass history as well as a class in Restoration study. Two basses here were restored by Arnold Schnitzer, two restored by Robbie McIntosh, one restored by and one made by Jeff Bollbach. These are 3 of the top Luthiers around today doing 'violin grade' level restoration work. Re-restoring basses that were previously done to a lesser degree is a huge challenge when trying to correct and erase some of yesteryear's work and bring the instruments back into its original state but modified to today's standards as 4-string basses as well. Three of the basses listed above were born/made as 3-string basses. Two them still retain their original 3 gears and plates with thoughtful modifications to add the 4th string.

So Robert, you will not be bored in room 404. I can promise you that!
I think I just drooled on my keyboard...

Old 05-22-2013, 12:31 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Swanson View Post
I think I just drooled on my keyboard...
Keyboards I don't have. lol.. Basses I do.

The Bollbach was picked for a master Class and Solo recital by Leon Bosh last year after trying all of the other basses here in my shop including the Hart and Marconcini basses. The Bollback just projected better tuned up a step 'with' orchestra Bell Cantos on each bass. Leon mentioned he was using Original Flat Chromes Orchestra gauge and tuning them up a step. When I tuned up the Bel's on each bass, I was pleasantly surprised how well they worked up a step. The Bollbach currently has Permanents on it. I tuned them up the other day and they sound and fell great in solo tuning as well.

My basses that are going to the show have a good mix of strings on them as well. Bollbach/Perm's, Hart/Bel's, Marconcini/Evah Weichs, JB Allen/Flex 92s, Panormo/Jargar Dolce, Mougenot/Flex 92s w/Stark E/C.

If any serious shoppers have suggestions for other string types they would be interested in trying on a bass, let me know and maybe I can bring some extra sets from what I have in stock.

I have other varieties of strings I use on some basses here that are not going to the show as well. The old Bohemian Lion/Flexocor Deluxe, Prague Laske/Passione, Kreutzer/Bel's w/Flex Stark E/C and Bel's as well on my Old Tirol.

So, I do try various type of strings here., I also have some Spiro Weichs as well as Helicores in both reg., solo and Ext. e/c sets.

I tried tuning the Evah Weichs up to solo on the Marconcini and they work fine as well being a soft set to begin with.

There is also a possibility that I will have a few more basses at the booth fresh out of repair/set-up from one of my Luthiers is he can make the trip up. I think my booth space is rated comfortably for 10 basses. That might be my number for this show.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb ISB Rochester, June 2013

Update from last years ISB's display of basses I brought..

JB Allen - SOLD

J.T. Hart - SOLD

Bollbach Lion - SOLD

Hofner 5er - SOLD

Panormo copy - SOLD

Uebelavailable

Mario Bandini - SOLD

G.Mougenot - SOLD

Marconcini school ..still available..

Panormo school ..still available..

Being that these were all special one-of-a-kind basses with full restorations and/or modifications, batting 500 in less than a year is a good average I think. I have also sold several others basses in this same period that were not at the show or that were never listed on the website or forum either.

*Prices on some of these basses have been adjusted to reflect current market conditions.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 08-24-2016 at 08:27 PM. Reason: - SOLD