Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 05-09-2012, 10:21 AM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road
Default The feel of my bass constantly changes

I love the sound of my bass but I never know how it's going to feel. Sometimes nice and loose, and sometimes very tight, like last night when I felt like I was pulling on coat hangers. I haven't determined a weather related pattern to it's instability and am wondering if something in it's construction could be contributing to this? It has a new fingerboard and is set up well.

Any ideas?
Old 05-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
I love the sound of my bass but I never know how it's going to feel. Sometimes nice and loose, and sometimes very tight, like last night when I felt like I was pulling on coat hangers. I haven't determined a weather related pattern to it's instability and am wondering if something in it's construction could be contributing to this? It has a new fingerboard and is set up well.

Any ideas?
Sounds like weather change related movement. What bass is this? Measure the height under the strings at the end of the fingerboard. It will vary most between the middle of winter and the middle of summer.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Posting Member

This is the older czech shop bass. The strings did feel higher last night. I'm sure you're right about the weather. Do you think the sound post going from tighter to looser could have something to do with this?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:42 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Default SP?

Quote:
This is the older czech shop bass. The strings did feel higher last night. I'm sure you're right about the weather. Do you think the sound post going from tighter to looser could have something to do with this?
Maybe so. If the Top and/or the Back swells just slightly, the Post becomes shorter in relation and will not be as optimum. Many basses use winter and summer posts and bridges in parts of the world. We use bridge adjusters here and complain the rest of the time about the feel. Take it to a good bass Luthier and have your bass adjusted. See him again before the winter as well.
Old 05-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Posting Member

Yes, I change posts with the seasons and this is the transition period now. I only have long term experience with my two basses, and this one seems to be much more sensitive and changeable than my other bass.

Ken, you've owned so many basses, have you found some to be more unpredictable than others in this way?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:16 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Red face

Quote:
Yes, I change posts with the seasons and this is the transition period now. I only have long term experience with my two basses, and this one seems to be much more sensitive and changeable than my other bass.

Ken, you've owned so many basses, have you found some to be more unpredictable than others in this way?
Like women!