Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Strings

Old 07-23-2007, 12:56 PM
Junior Posting Member

Amit Shtriker is on a distinguished road
Default Taper Core set question

Following forum members' suggestion, I decided to try a new set of taper core mediums for my 4 string bass (I also remember that when I got my Smith, with a Smith set, it sounded even more "rude" and responsive than now).

However, apart from the problem that the music store only had a 5 string set (which I had to buy and give the 5th string to a friend of mine, who's a 5 string player), I see that unlike stated by KS, only the A and E strings are Taper Core, and the D string is a regular .063 string. And another thing, it looks like a regular round wound 4 string set, and there is an additional printing in blue that says "TAPER CORE" on top and "5 STRING" on bottom.

Is it normal, and will I have the same result of this set even though the D string is not a taper core one? Tomorrow my bass is going to be set up with these strings, so I hope there is nothing wrong with this set..
Old 07-23-2007, 01:30 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Tapered 'D' story..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit Shtriker View Post
Following forum members' suggestion, I decided to try a new set of taper core mediums for my 4 string bass (I also remember that when I got my Smith, with a Smith set, it sounded even more "rude" and responsive than now).

However, apart from the problem that the music store only had a 5 string set (which I had to buy and give the 5th string to a friend of mine, who's a 5 string player), I see that unlike stated by KS, only the A and E strings are Taper Core, and the D string is a regular .063 string. And another thing, it looks like a regular round wound 4 string set, and there is an additional printing in blue that says "TAPER CORE" on top and "5 STRING" on bottom.

Is it normal, and will I have the same result of this set even though the D string is not a taper core one? Tomorrow my bass is going to be set up with these strings, so I hope there is nothing wrong with this set..
About 2 years ago we started 'fading out' the Tapered 'D' in those sets. The D is no longer Tapered but some sets out there may still have a Tapered 'D' that are in store stock. We still have some Burner .060s that are Tapered left in stock for the Burner 'light' Tapered sets and will use them up and then switch to non-tapered when they are gone.

On the Labels when we recently ran short of Multi-string Labels due to the Printer delivering late, we used the 4-string Roundwound Medium Labels in stock and stamped in blue ink Tapercore and 5-string or 6-string as needed. Currently we have thousands of these 4-string labels so we will continue to use them up. Not to worry, it's the same set with some slight changes only!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:34 PM
Junior Posting Member

Amit Shtriker is on a distinguished road

So I see that everything is fine with this Taper Core set
Thanks Ken!
Old 08-01-2007, 04:38 PM
Posting Member

Dennis Michaels is on a distinguished road

I think you'll be happy with them.
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Tone matters so play the best through the best.