Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Luthier's Corner

Old 03-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Junior Posting Member

Patrick Wasserman is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Patrick Wasserman
Default Loosening the endpin

On my Kolstein Fendt loosening the endpin has started to become very difficult. I change the height several times a day, so it's not like it's impossible, but it is more difficult than it should be. How should I go about making this a little looser, could I extend it all the way out then spray a little WD-40 on it? I feel like that would be a bad idea in many ways so I've come here to ask.

Thanks,
Patrick W.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:18 PM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road

It sounds like the endpin rod may be bent slightly. If the rod is removable, roll it across a flat surface. That will point out where the problem is located if it is bent. Straightening a bent rod is not all that easy and straightening it may not be possible. A visit to your local luthier is probably the best action. WD-40 is not the answer.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:15 PM
Junior Posting Member

I took it out and it is as straight as an arrow. Would it be possible for the unit it goes into (I want to say chuck?) isn't straight in and that is what is causing the problem? I would prefer not to take it to a luthier, it's a hassle being at school and it's not a huge deal right now.

Thanks,
Patrick
Old 03-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Wasserman View Post
I took it out and it is as straight as an arrow. Would it be possible for the unit it goes into (I want to say chuck?) isn't straight in and that is what is causing the problem? I would prefer not to take it to a luthier, it's a hassle being at school and it's not a huge deal right now.

Thanks,
Patrick
I'm not familiar with which endpins Kolstein is putting in their basses, so it's hard to do any kind of diagnosis without actually seeing it. Since you initially said that the endpin "has started to become very difficult", I assume that means that this condition isn't something that has been a problems since the bass was new. Is there anything else you can think of that may have changed recently? Have you used a wheel with this bass? Has the endpin socket ever gotten wet? (I'm grasping for straws!)
Old 03-27-2007, 11:52 PM
Junior Posting Member

I can't really remember it ever just sliding out with ease but I have noticed that it has gotten more difficult over time. I really can't think what may have changed, I use a wheel the Kolstein one that attaches to the case, it hasn't gotten wet at all. The only thing that concerns me a little is that I have bumped the endpin on the ground while carrying it a few times and this may have changed the angle that the whole endpin socket sits. It's visibly a little angled, but I didn't notice if that was something new or not.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Posting Member

If the endpin socket is cork lined, it may have swelled a bit which would make it tighter. Usually the cork wears or compresses a bit over time. I would be hesitant to do anything to the cork if that is the problem since it might lead to a bigger problem later. I had one on my own bass that started to rattle after years of use when the cork had worn to the point where the endpin rod was loose in the socket.

That's the only thing I can think of. Perhaps Arnold, Jeff or one of the other luthiers will joint in on this one. I'm out of ideas.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Posting Member

Brian Gencarelli is on a distinguished road

I would give the endpin rod a coating of wax. (Sometimes cork grease like clarinets use works well.) I use the Butcher's bowling alley wax. This won't affect the ability of the screw to stop the pin, just the ease of the pin sliding past the swollen cork.

Don't slather it on, and make sure the product doesn't contain silicone. Wipe off excess with your fingers and it should work well.

YMMV
Brian
Old 03-28-2007, 08:02 PM
Posting Member

That sounds like a reasonable solution to me. I've had customers who tried to sand the cork and the results were less than satisfactory.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:53 PM
Junior Posting Member

Okay, I'll try that tomorrow, there's a clarinetist here at school so I'll ask to borrow some and let you guys know how it goes.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Posting Member

JoeyNaeger is on a distinguished road

My teacher ended up replacing the endpin unit on his kolstein travel bass because he got fed up with it. I'm not sure if it's the same unit, but it was pretty massive with a 12 mm rod, and hard to move the endpin. He ended up putting in a Goetz instead and is much happier.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Posting Member

Michael Case is on a distinguished road

My end pin has loosened over time. There is no rattling, but every once in a while if I don't tighten the screw on the center of the notch the pin will shift down while playing. I used to fit really nice and I was able to feel when I got to the notch and tighten and forget it, but now it's not like that. Does this require a new end pin if I want to fix it?

Myspace
Old 04-02-2007, 09:46 AM
Posting Member

Flint Buchanan is on a distinguished road

Bob-

A little OT, but since I'm thinking of getting a wheel, why would you think a wheel would cause problems with the endpin adjuster?
Old 04-02-2007, 11:35 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Buchanan View Post
Bob-

A little OT, but since I'm thinking of getting a wheel, why would you think a wheel would cause problems with the endpin adjuster?
Some of them attach to the endpin and conceivably could have bent the rod.
Some endpins have a piece of metal between the rod and the screw that could have come loose or was damaged. I was trying to think of anything that Patrick could have done that damaged the endpin. At the time, I didn't know that the problem had been there from the beginning rather than being damaged.

I really don't have a problem with bass wheels as long as the shaft is (exactly) the same size as the endpin rod. I've been using one myself for years and only wish that I had started using one earlier in my life. It might have prevented some the lower back problems I have today.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:43 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Case View Post
My end pin has loosened over time. There is no rattling, but every once in a while if I don't tighten the screw on the center of the notch the pin will shift down while playing. I used to fit really nice and I was able to feel when I got to the notch and tighten and forget it, but now it's not like that. Does this require a new end pin if I want to fix it?
This is a fairly common problem with Gotz and ULSA endpins. The cork wears or compresses. I remember talking about this with David Wilson at Hammond Ashley a few years ago. He said he had a box full of old endpins that were in good shape except for the cork. As far as I've been able to determine, no one sells replacement cork inserts for the endpins. I've tried making my own from sheet cork and even wine bottle corks. They worked well enough to eliminate rattles, but I could never get back the original feel you are wanting. Unless you can find a source for the cork inserts and have the facilities for installing it, a new endpin may be your only choice available.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:06 PM
Posting Member

Michael Case is on a distinguished road

Cool, thanks for the info.

Myspace