Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 08-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Posting Member

Don Edge is on a distinguished road
Default Amp volume question

Is there an amp head that has the ability to turn the volume up in order to bring the level inside the unit up so the bass sound will improve yet have a volume level adjust that will enable you to still adjust it so it is not playing at max or the extreme level the amp is actually set at? I know this is strange question but there is a reason.

Don
Old 08-24-2009, 04:44 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Question Reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Edge View Post
Is there an amp head that has the ability to turn the volume up in order to bring the level inside the unit up so the bass sound will improve yet have a volume level adjust that will enable you to still adjust it so it is not playing at max or the extreme level the amp is actually set at? I know this is strange question but there is a reason.

Don
What's the reason?

Old 08-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Arrow ??

Quote:

Don
If you are referring to master volume and gain volume I have learned that the Master MUST be higher than the Gain or the sound will be distorted. If Master is on 7, then put gain on 5. Raise the master before you raise the gain. Equal at the most between the two but keep the gain under the master volume for the most part for the cleanest sound.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arrow Or......

Or, if you are trying to control spikes in volume while you are playing, compression is an option and there are heads out there that include compression in the chain. Some better than others.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:23 PM
Posting Member

Dave Martin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
If you are referring to master volume and gain volume I have learned that the Master MUST be higher than the Gain or the sound will be distorted. If Master is on 7, then put gain on 5. Raise the master before you raise the gain. Equal at the most between the two but keep the gain under the master volume for the most part for the cleanest sound.
Yes and no, Ken - your approach is correct if the desired sound is clean - and this isn'l always the case. Personally, I tend to run the master volume (on my SWR and Eden amps somewhere around 75% (and the imput level around 20% or 25% so that I can keep the sound as clean as possible. But for some gigs, I'll reverse that so that the input stage is at 75% or 80% and the master volume is at 20% or 25% so that the bass sound is pretty distorted but the actual stage volume is still under control. (I also either turn down or disable the tweeter that some idiot designer decided to add to most bass amps, but that's another discussion.)

Lesser amounts of distortion are achieved by balancing input and master volumes.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:30 AM
Senior Posting Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
Yes and no, Ken - your approach is correct if the desired sound is clean - and this isn'l always the case. Personally, I tend to run the master volume (on my SWR and Eden amps somewhere around 75% (and the imput level around 20% or 25% so that I can keep the sound as clean as possible. But for some gigs, I'll reverse that so that the input stage is at 75% or 80% and the master volume is at 20% or 25% so that the bass sound is pretty distorted but the actual stage volume is still under control. (I also either turn down or disable the tweeter that some idiot designer decided to add to most bass amps, but that's another discussion.)

Lesser amounts of distortion are achieved by balancing input and master volumes.
Dave, are you using a "passive" or "active" bass with these settings?

Old 08-25-2009, 08:55 AM
Posting Member

Don Edge is on a distinguished road

The reason is the church I play in is stating I am too loud. Well the Fender Rumble 100, although not the best amp, sounds best at 3/4 volume with my bass at least past 1/2 volume. They had me so low the other day I mine as well be playing my old washburn with dead strings. I was trying to get the sound, attack, brightness, tone, without having to have the volume at that level. I turned the amp down and bass WAY up. It still sounds good but the volume issues are still there. I realize there are optimum levels that speakers really should be to sound the best. I don't think they do.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Senior Posting Member

Question Ahhh.......

Quote:
The reason is the church I play in is stating I am too loud. Well the Fender Rumble 100, although not the best amp, sounds best at 3/4 volume with my bass at least past 1/2 volume. They had me so low the other day I mine as well be playing my old washburn with dead strings. I was trying to get the sound, attack, brightness, tone, without having to have the volume at that level. I turned the amp down and bass WAY up. It still sounds good but the volume issues are still there. I realize there are optimum levels that speakers really should be to sound the best. I don't think they do.
Don, this is typical for most churches. Will need MUCH more information from you.

Tell us about your overall church worship team set-up:

1. What are the instruments, vocals, sound system, being used?
2. If the church has a good sound system, are you fortunate enough to have someone qualified running that sound system?
3. How big is the room?
4. Are you using monitors and if so, what kind/type?
5. If you have a drummer, is the drummer playing an acoustic or electronic set?
6. If you have a drummer and he is playing an acoustic set, is he behind a shield?
7. What size bass speaker are you using in your bass amp?
8. Does your bass amp have an XLR Output?
9. Etc.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 08-25-2009 at 10:23 AM.