Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > Italian Bass School

Old 02-28-2009, 02:40 AM
Senior Posting Member

Joel Larsson is on a distinguished road
Default I've slapped on the world's most expensive bass!

Last night, Dan Styffe (solo bass player in Oslo Phil, and teacher at the Uni there) was in town to perform a quite new piece by Fredrik Högberg, called "From the First Base." Great performance, and a real cool piece, but what REALLY made my day was that I got to hold Bottesini's Gasparo da Salo in my hand, AND, I got to play some slapping on it!

I feel like twice the man from before.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:06 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question Bottesini's Gasparo da Salo???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Larsson View Post
Last night, Dan Styffe (solo bass player in Oslo Phil, and teacher at the Uni there) was in town to perform a quite new piece by Fredrik Högberg, called "From the First Base." Great performance, and a real cool piece, but what REALLY made my day was that I got to hold Bottesini's Gasparo da Salo in my hand, AND, I got to play some slapping on it!

I feel like twice the man from before.
Ah, Bottesini played a bass by Carlo Antonio Testore. Dragonetti was the one who played the d'Salo.

The Testore is a dark colored bass with sloped shoulders and was maybe a large 3/4 or 7/8th by todays standards. The d'Salo is a medium golden brown color and quite broad and long. It will feel more like a large 7/8ths or 4/4 in size.

So, which bass did you play? The d'Salo or the Testore?

Old 02-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Junior Posting Member

Andreas Henningsson is on a distinguished road

That's just insane... Did it have guts?

Speaking of guts, how's my old Gamut doing?
Old 02-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Senior Posting Member

I thought it was strange, too. I know Bottesini is associated mostly with his Testore... (I actually think he had two.)
But, the people I talked to beforehand were positive it was once owned by Bottesini. And I refuse to believe that some fellow bass players would mistake Dragonetti for Bottesini. Plus, isn't Dragonetti's da Salo still i that monastery? Or, maybe he had several? I know the monastery bass was restored in 2007 - it's the one on your photo, right? - but I believe it was returned to the monastery after the restoration. Stupid as I am, I forgot to ask Mr. Styffe about this particular bass' history. It is dated to 1575, though. And it really is a Gasparo da Salo, and is the bass currently insured to the greatest amount of money.
Thomas Martin's online Bottesini biography mentions that Bottesini showed great interest in the makings of da Salo... maybe this one had been in Bottesini's possession during a brief period, too.

No guts! It is used for solo playing these days... and Styffe is known for having a knack for modern stuff... so, definitely no guts.
And, four strings, converted or original I don't know.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up humm, well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Larsson View Post
I thought it was strange, too. I know Bottesini is associated mostly with his Testore... (I actually think he had two.)
But, the people I talked to beforehand were positive it was once owned by Bottesini. And I refuse to believe that some fellow bass players would mistake Dragonetti for Bottesini. Plus, isn't Dragonetti's da Salo still i that monastery? Or, maybe he had several? I know the monastery bass was restored in 2007 - it's the one on your photo, right? - but I believe it was returned to the monastery after the restoration. Stupid as I am, I forgot to ask Mr. Styffe about this particular bass' history. It is dated to 1575, though. And it really is a Gasparo da Salo, and is the bass currently insured to the greatest amount of money.
Thomas Martin's online Bottesini biography mentions that Bottesini showed great interest in the makings of da Salo... maybe this one had been in Bottesini's possession during a brief period, too.

No guts! It is used for solo playing these days... and Styffe is known for having a knack for modern stuff... so, definitely no guts.
And, four strings, converted or original I don't know.
Well, it would be nice to see pictures of it. Also, The Dragonetti Bass is in the San Marco Church still but does go out for exhibition and loan on occasion. On the d'Salo strings, it is believed to have been a 6-string originally or that's what I read somewhere.

Also in the Henley book under the instruments he made #13 described as a bass belonged to Bottesini (my bad) of 3-strings. There are 7 DBs described in Henley and one smaller bass Viol. I was not aware of that many d'Salo's. Perhaps some of them have since been disproven, or maybe not.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Senior Posting Member

Ah, so my friends were right after all. This particular instrument was bought as an investment by a subdivision of a Norwegian bank, and is now supposed to be played worldwide, I think. This was only its third flight trip I believe, Styffe was a bit concerned that something would happen sometime. He stored it in one of Rabbath Jr's flight cases. I think, if I'm allowed to read between the lines, that he would like to have it stationed somewhere in an orchestra or ensemble, hinting towards four of the Oslo Phil's basses that had gotten quite demolished on tour despite the flight case storage as he was.

My five cent is that it would probably come better to its right in an ensemble. It had this huge, warm, resonant sound which would be a bliss to have backing up a symphony. It didn't project very well - but isn't this typical for old, matured basses? Huge sound that fills the hall with fundament, but too smooth and nice to cut through... it rather backs things up.

But as long as the foundation's regulations forces Styffe to take it one the road, I think he is quite happy to do so. It would take quite the veteran not to get excited every time he touches a da Salo. It was in stunning condition, too. It's nice to see an instrument that apparently has been treated with due respect from day one... and this particular day one was a long time ago!!
Old 03-19-2009, 09:17 PM
Junior Posting Member

Brandon Tuomikoski is on a distinguished road
Default De Salo violin

http://cgi.ebay.com/Full-Sized-Violi...QQcmdZViewItem

Is this anything to do with the De salo bass?

Looks like a beautiful violin. Too bad I dont play it anymore