Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Classical/Arco

Old 02-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Junior Posting Member

Mike Cox is on a distinguished road
Default Thomastik Bel Canto Strings

Does anybody have any info on the playability/sound of Thomastik Bel Canto Strings?
Old 02-03-2007, 08:15 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool T-Bells..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Cox View Post
Does anybody have any info on the playability/sound of Thomastik Bel Canto Strings?
I played these on a few Basses up at Arnolds and they were nice. Not as sweet as Flexocors on some Basses I have played but thicker sounding and better Bowing than any other string I have played from Thomastic which include a few of the Spirocore gauges and the Superflexibles.

Since they are in the same range price wise as the other Bowing strings, I would give them a shot if I haven't found my string yet.

Arnold seems to like them as do many others that have discussed it over on TB but the reviews were mixed as well. I think the Bass and the playing style has a lot to do with it as well not to mention the Bow you use and how well you use it!
Old 02-04-2007, 02:04 PM
Posting Member

Nick Hart is on a distinguished road

Belcanto's work the best on new basses. That is the consensus from a lot of people. They aren't as heavy a tension as many of the bowing strings and have a lot more spin to them, so on newer basses (such as mine) that really need caressing to be played, they sound great. Also there is virtually no break in time. These things are great right out of the package.

In the studio here, everybody with a new bass has them and the sound has improved 10 fold, because of the lighter tension and because of the ease of playability. The kids with older basses don't use them but a couple have use the E (which is a great string) and Mr. Laszlo just started using the E and A on his Ruggieri.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:11 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question Just new Basses?

How do they work on old Italian and English Basses from 100-300 years old? I doubt they would make a bowing string that doesn't work well on them.

In fact, lighter tensioned strings is just what is needed on many older and distressed Basses. It is usually the New Basses that need heavier strings to vibrate and break in the fresh wood.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:16 PM
Posting Member

Nick Hart is on a distinguished road

The problem with a lot of new basses is that they have a lot of wolfs and need consistent vibrations put on them in order to open up and create a good sound. If you have a very heavy string, with less spin, the vibrations aren't consistent.

I had Original Flexocores and a Heavy Helicore E and they just had no spin. The sound was very dead, but with the Belcantos, my bass sounds much better than it ever has.

Hey Ken, I'm pretty sure we can put some plastic strings on those 100-300 year old Italians and they will probably sound amazing.

One kid here has a old Italian attributed to Montagnana, and he has four different strings across the board. And Mr. Laszlo has 4 different strings on his Ruggieri. When you're in that situation, it's all about preference, and hopefully I'll be there some day.
Old 02-07-2007, 01:08 PM
Junior Posting Member

Charles Arms is on a distinguished road

I am using them right now. I would compare the tone to Flexcor in terms of depth and color. However, they are easier to start and more supple under the left hand.

My bass is a new hybrid. It sounds better bowed than it ever has.