Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 03-27-2007, 04:23 PM
Junior Posting Member

Ron Lacey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Branstetter View Post
[snip]My favorite reference books for the "House Brands" is the 3 book set titled "Violin Identification and Price Guide published in originally in 1978 by Roy Ehrhardt of Heart of America Press.

[snip]Unfortunately, the first volume of the set is no longer in print.
Looks like only the second volume is now available and the copyright and page proofs are for sale at $50K. Probably won't be back in print unless someone buys the rights.
Old 04-07-2007, 09:52 PM
Posting Member

Bob Branstetter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Lacey View Post
Looks like only the second volume is now available and the copyright and page proofs are for sale at $50K. Probably won't be back in print unless someone buys the rights.
That's unfortunate. With the low profit margin in this type of books, I will be VERY surprised if anyone will pop $50,000 for a book that that hasn't been updated in 30 years. With Earsel Atchley, the person who supplied all the information in the books, gone, I doubt if there is anyone around who would want to tackle the job of updating the price/value of the instruments in the books. They might be a good books to buy (on eBay, or music book sellers) and hold for the future. I understand that the second volumes that is being sold are photocopies of the original rather than being made from the original (offset?) plates.

[added] If anyone is considering buying only one of these books, make sure you get volume I first. The other 2 volumes are really supplimental to the first.

Last edited by Bob Branstetter; 04-08-2007 at 10:12 AM.