Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > KSD - Ken Smith Design

Old 02-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Junior Posting Member

Malachi Ashanti is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Ksd 6 string

I recently picked this bass up, and I must say I was and still am very pleased with this unit. It is heavy but I am ok with heavy basses. I sounds great in both passive and active. Very articulate and warm in finger style and slap. I really don't see a need to change anything on this bass at all, unless you just want something more to add. It is a monster as it is.

Ken, I know you don't get too involved in conversations about these KSD because they are sold by Brooklyngear, and I know you just advise them on the design etc, but I must say I think it is too bad that you don't, because your ideas for this bass is outstanding. I know you have plenty of work with your Ken Smith basses, I have owned a few of them also, but I wish you did make a jazz bass copy made and serviced by you. If the KSD is an indication of just how great a Fender copy Jazz made by you would be, it would be well worth it IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KSDv70nat6string2.jpg
Views:	1412
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	846  
Old 02-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi Ashanti View Post
I recently picked this bass up, and I must say I was and still am very pleased with this unit. It is heavy but I am ok with heavy basses. I sounds great in both passive and active. Very articulate and warm in finger style and slap. I really don't see a need to change anything on this bass at all, unless you just want something more to add. It is a monster as it is.

Ken, I know you don't get too involved in conversations about these KSD because they are sold by Brooklyngear, and I know you just advise them on the design etc, but I must say I think it is too bad that you don't, because your ideas for this bass is outstanding. I know you have plenty of work with your Ken Smith basses, I have owned a few of them also, but I wish you did make a jazz bass copy made and serviced by you. If the KSD is an indication of just how great a Fender copy Jazz made by you would be, it would be well worth it IMO.
Thanks for the compliments. In this Fender cloning business I try to stay as far away as possible from it. Helping Brooklyn Gear with the designs of the KSD models is about as close as I want to get to anything Fender-like.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:28 PM
Junior Posting Member

Malachi Ashanti is on a distinguished road
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Thanks for the compliments. In this Fender cloning business I try to stay as far away as possible from it. Helping Brooklyn Gear with the designs of the KSD models is about as close as I want to get to anything Fender-like.

Understood, you are doing quite well in what you produce at your shop.

Just wishful thinking.