Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 10-14-2009, 03:35 PM
Junior Posting Member

Cliff Davies is on a distinguished road
Default Finish Question

Hola forum,

In general (obviously each bass is unique in sound) is there a difference in sound between the dutch varnish and high gloss Catalyzed Lacquer finishes? Oh and first post!
Old 10-14-2009, 03:40 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Davies View Post
Hola forum,

In general (obviously each bass is unique in sound) is there a difference in sound between the dutch varnish and high gloss Catalyzed Lacquer finishes? Oh and first post!
I think there is. The only scientific way to know is re-finish the exact same bass after recording it with the old finish. Other that that, The Laq. models we make are different in other ways as well, not just the finish.

The Oil type finishes usually sound smoother and the Laq. brighter. Just slightly.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
....The Oil type finishes usually sound smoother and the Laq. brighter. Just slightly.
Yep. I play both and would agree with this. Asside from the slight sound difference, I love the feel of the oil finished bass: Very silky smooth to the touch.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:07 PM
Junior Posting Member

Cliff Davies is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Yep. I play both and would agree with this. Asside from the slight sound difference, I love the feel of the oil finished bass: Very silky smooth to the touch.
I agree, but as I'm about to invest in a BSR6EG I'd like for the top wood to show very well. Decisions decisions.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:15 PM
Senior Posting Member

Default I understand.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Davies View Post
I agree, but as I'm about to invest in a BSR6EG I'd like for the top wood to show very well. Decisions decisions.
I totally understand your dilemma. And yes, the Laq. finish will make that top stand out. The higher the grade the more it stands out: As in drop-dead beautiful! So, really the dilemma comes down to feel. But either way you go, you won't be disappointed.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:23 PM
Posting Member

Kirk P Brosius is on a distinguished road
Default finish

Hello all,

I have yet to see a KS bass which I don't really like! The first I actually touched was at Roxy Music in Denver. It was a neck-thru and it was BEEEYOUTIFUL!!!!! The strings seemed a bit close to the body but the look and feel were out of sight. So was the price!! $4600 for a bass??
SHEESH!!!

I spent a few months with a Modulus 5 and sold it because the 35" scale was causing pain in my left hand. You wouldn't think that one inch would matter, but it does. I found a BSR5MW on the web, in the Chicago area, and bought it. This was a huge "leap-of-faith" since I live in Western Colorado and cannot try high-end gear. The bass arrived in a week or so and within a week, the neck went completely whacky! The bass came from an area of 70% humidity to 6-12% and, with a couple of sessions with the Allen wrench, I was able to put her right.

The bass has the oil finish and I absolutely love the organic feel of the wood. Outdoor gigs, with a chance of precip, need to be dealt with as the drops will spot the finish. A few minutes with the "secret sauce" and some "elbow grease" will cure the outbreak of drop marks.

I can't comment on the diff in finishes on tone but, I'm happy with my KS!!!!

Later, Kirk
Old 10-16-2009, 08:45 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up Congrats!

Hey Kirk, you should upload a pic when you get a chance.