Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 11-30-2012, 06:27 PM
Posting Member

Adam Linz is on a distinguished road
Default Chambers bass

I had always heard that Chambers took his big German Bass out of the back of a car , supposedly with Doug Watkins who was his cousin, and that the bass belonged to a player in one of the New York symphonies. The player tracked down his bass to Paul at a gig, but after hearing him play decided that he should keep it. Paul was a huge junkie and I guess his bass ended up in the pawn shop too many times. The other rumor is that Paul put that ladyhead on the bass himself. He literally sawed off the top of the scroll and glued her in? Maybe. Anyways Ken do you have any info on the whereabouts of Mr Chambers bass? Seems like such an important part of bass history and also I'm wondering if anyone else has heard these tales or is someone just blowing smoke up my ass? Best, Adam Linz
Old 11-30-2012, 10:41 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Linz View Post
I had always heard that Chambers took his big German Bass out of the back of a car , supposedly with Doug Watkins who was his cousin, and that the bass belonged to a player in one of the New York symphonies. The player tracked down his bass to Paul at a gig, but after hearing him play decided that he should keep it. Paul was a huge junkie and I guess his bass ended up in the pawn shop too many times. The other rumor is that Paul put that ladyhead on the bass himself. He literally sawed off the top of the scroll and glued her in? Maybe. Anyways Ken do you have any info on the whereabouts of Mr Chambers bass? Seems like such an important part of bass history and also I'm wondering if anyone else has heard these tales or is someone just blowing smoke up my ass? Best, Adam Linz
I heard some of that story not long ago but I have no idea if it is true or not. Also, I have no idea where the bass is. Back on those days, this was NOT the level of a bass that was in the Symphonies. They had plenty of Italian basses to go around and some English as well. Anything is possible though.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Junior Posting Member

Stefano Senni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Stefano Senni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The outer linings on the other bass look to be flush with the ribs. Different than on Paul's bass. It was called English (I think?) 42 years ago when I saw it. I really don't know what it is but regardless, it's a different style bass aside from the gamba shape than Paul's bass is. It could be German or Austrian as well. The gear plates do not fit all that well so I doubt those are the original gears as well. In either case, the are both nice basses.
Funny...It seems this bass was for sale at Lemur's a while ago ... and claimed to be French, I wonder why...the label is surely not enough to say so

http://shelf3d.com/Muqb2GbEXTU#Lemur%20Music%20SOLD%20Claude%20Boivin %20French%20Bass%20"Lady%20Bass"
Old 07-24-2013, 01:19 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano Senni View Post
Funny...It seems this bass was for sale at Lemur's a while ago ... and claimed to be French, I wonder why...the label is surely not enough to say so

http://shelf3d.com/Muqb2GbEXTU#Lemur%20Music%20SOLD%20Claude%20Boivin %20French%20Bass%20"Lady%20Bass"
Stefano, the Bass in that Link is not French. Some of what the shop advertises is incorrect by either date, origin or both. Not uncommon at all. Ignorance is bliss when you are the one collecting the money!

The label in the bass is a new faked copy from a book. The bass is Germanic. The outer linings are 100% German/Saxon in style. The bass is a 19th century instrument. A French bass from the 18th century would have a flat back and if an angle break would be there, it would be a copy of a viol d'gamba. I have seen pics of one small Boivin violone and it had violin corners. This bass is in no way French or from the 18th century as he claims.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:05 PM
Junior Posting Member

Stefano Senni is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Stefano Senni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Stefano, the Bass in that Link is not French. Some of what the shop advertises is incorrect by either date, origin or both. Not uncommon at all. Ignorance is bliss when you are the one collecting the money!

The label in the bass is a new faked copy from a book. The bass is Germanic. The outer linings are 100% German/Saxon in style. The bass is a 19th century instrument. A French bass from the 18th century would have a flat back and if an angle break would be there, it would be a copy of a viol d'gamba. I have seen pics of one small Boivin violone and it had violin corners. This bass is in no way French or from the 18th century as he claims.
Ken, I'm with you 100%.