Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Hybrid DB Strings

Old 04-09-2007, 02:49 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Sorry, I have never used the Weichs. I have used in the past the Reds but these far surpass them as Arco strings. The Pizz is closer to a fatter sounding Obligato type sound.
IMO (in my opinion) old weichs are very hard to beat as an all round string once they have settled down (2-3 weeks). I've spent countless dollars (NZ) trying different strings. the Weichs actually bow well. Ken, I'd love you to give them a try.
Richard
Old 04-09-2007, 04:01 AM
Posting Member

Robert Prowse is on a distinguished road
Default strings

Don't believe it ... Richard's probably just quoting brib!
Old 04-09-2007, 03:50 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
IMO (in my opinion) old weichs are very hard to beat as an all round string once they have settled down (2-3 weeks). I've spent countless dollars (NZ) trying different strings. the Weichs actually bow well. Ken, I'd love you to give them a try.
Richard
Richard, I have played ALL the Thomastic strings if you count trying them on other peoples Basses. The only good Orchestral string they make in my opinion is the new BelCantos which I just bought a Bass that has them so I will get to know them well. Some Orchestral players use the other Thomastic Weichs, Mittles and Solo as well as combinations of 2 or 3 types to balance out their Bass but this again is a minority. Pirastro from what I have heard is still the #1 Orchestral string choice in USA.

I think these new Eurosonics will take hold in time but their marketing is not that strong at the moment.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:06 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Richard, I have played ALL the Thomastic strings if you count trying them on other peoples Basses. The only good Orchestral string they make in my opinion is the new BelCantos which I just bought a Bass that has them so I will get to know them well. Some Orchestral players use the other Thomastic Weichs, Mittles and Solo as well as combinations of 2 or 3 types to balance out their Bass but this again is a minority. Pirastro from what I have heard is still the #1 Orchestral string choice in USA.

I think these new Eurosonics will take hold in time but their marketing is not that strong at the moment.
I am starting to get interested in these Eurosonics. A player told me not too long ago that the just retired principal of the NZSO was using Weichs in the orchestra. It is my impression though, as an outsider from the orchestral world, that Pirastro is the no 1 choice here too. Bowed Weichs and Mittles certainly have a crappy sound when they are new. For this reason the Eurosonics sound interesting.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up feel..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
I am starting to get interested in these Eurosonics. A player told me not too long ago that the just retired principal of the NZSO was using Weichs in the orchestra. It is my impression though, as an outsider from the orchestral world, that Pirastro is the no 1 choice here too. Bowed Weichs and Mittles certainly have a crappy sound when they are new. For this reason the Eurosonics sound interesting.
Under the fingers the Eurosonics feel fatter like Olivs and Eudoxas. Smooth and a hint of gut-like response. Hard to explain but I like them. Different strings but something worth trying to see if it's 'your flavor'.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:04 AM
Junior Posting Member

Daniel Yeabsley is on a distinguished road

I've ordered a set of these Eurosonics, should be arriving soon with my new New Standard Cleveland!
Old 05-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Thumbs up Ordered..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Yeabsley View Post
I've ordered a set of these Eurosonics, should be arriving soon with my new New Standard Cleveland!
Great, let us know how they work on your Bass. It would nice to hear other reviews than just my opinion.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:13 PM
Junior Posting Member

Daniel Yeabsley is on a distinguished road
Default New Eurosonic review

My New Standard Cleveland arrived last week, it came strung with Spiro Mittels. There was also a set of the new Eurosonic strings in the box.

The Spiros: I liked the E and A, big and growly and I could bow them alright.
The tension was a shock to me though! I've gotten used to the 1/2 gut setup on my Christopher flatback, and the Spiros in combination with the longer string length on the Cleveland felt like bridge cables.

The spiro G and D were boingy, I'm sure they would settle down in time- but this gave me an excuse to put on the Eurosonic G and D.
Euro G and D on the Cleveland: The tension is slightly lower than the Mittels. The sound is darker (less highs?) and rounder, less raw. They bow nicely and feel more civilised than the spiros.

This morning I tried the Eurosonic G and D on my 2 year old carved Christopher with a Mittel E and Innovation A. Nice!
-The tension has gone down significantly compared to the same strings on the Cleveland. Feels more like Weichs now. The sound is still civilised- and the attack and the bloom hang together.