Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Music [DB] > Member Bass Clips [DB]

Old 08-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Junior Posting Member

Andrew Festa is on a distinguished road
Default Me playing the Vanhal Concerto

A little introduction first. My name is Andrew I'm 15 and I've been playing bass for about 1 1/2 years. I just started on the 1st movement of the Vanhal not too long ago, and would like to know what you think of it so far.

I'm sorry for the bad recording quality and the metronome ticks. I may post one tomorrow without the metronome.

Also sorry for the mistakes in the cadenza I just started it about a week or two ago so it's not great yet.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=741340

Also around december I'll be posting a clip of the whole concerto from my recital.

Thanks for listening
Old 08-23-2007, 03:31 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 1 1/2 years?

Andrew, for 1 1/2 years of playing that is awesome!

Please put some additional information in your profile or at least do it here. Tell us first who your teacher is. The Bass you play, Bow, Strings, Rosin and for this recording, if you are tuned up in Solo F#-A, please state it so.

For the time you have been playing your vibrato is great. Nice and subtle and with control. On the intonation issue, this will come in time. I did hear a few notes out of tune in the beginning in the lower parts of the Bass so this is easily fixable. Practice it slower and do more scales in that area to get better with your particular Bass and string spacing/length. Please also tell us the string length on your bass and any thing else about your set-up. I can easily see you making it to Curtis in a few years the way you're going so keep up the good work.
Old 08-23-2007, 08:35 AM
Brian Ross

I'll just throw in a second here for what Ken said. For your age and the amount of time you've been playing, that is incredibly impressive. Great work.

Sound like you're playing an edition written in C major in solo tuning so it sounds in D major. Which edition is it? Its a little different from the way that I've played it.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Junior Posting Member

Thanks Ken!

At the moment my teacher is Dr. Shaolan Lee at the American School of Double Bass, but soon I'm going to be studying with Dr. Mark Mortan. I play on a Shen SB100 Bass with an upton german bow, Solo tuned Helocore strings and a mixture of random cello rosin and Jade solo bass rosin.

I'm playing from the the Hoffmeister edition in C major with solo tuning.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:50 AM
Senior Posting Member

David Powell is on a distinguished road

Not perfect but quite impressive. I've been trying to bow for about four years and you play circles around me already. Keep up the good work.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:30 PM
Senior Posting Member

stan haskins is on a distinguished road
Default Vanhal - good!

Really excellent, especially for your second year of playing.

One thing that struck me in the first movement is how "stiff" the trills sound. Try taking the trills as a separate exercise. You can practice trilling slowly as part of your warmup, gradually increasing the tempo until the trills get easier.

Keep up the good work!
Old 08-31-2007, 06:33 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan haskins View Post
Really excellent, especially for your second year of playing.

One thing that struck me in the first movement is how "stiff" the trills sound. Try taking the trills as a separate exercise. You can practice trilling slowly as part of your warmup, gradually increasing the tempo until the trills get easier.

Keep up the good work!
Thanks. Trilling has been a problem for me. I'll try doing what you said and report back soon.

Thanks again
Old 10-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Junior Posting Member

Hello everyone.

I recently recorded the 2nd movement of the Vanhal concerto with MIDI orchestra. It's not the greatest but it will work.

Do any of you have sugestions to make it a better performance? I'd like to get this piece as good sounding as I can.

In the next week or two I'll have the first and 3rd movements up as well, and maybe the 2nd with the cadenza added.

So just tell me what you think

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=741340