Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 02-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chuck Cheesman is on a distinguished road
Default 1998 Burner???

Hi all,

I just introduced myself over in the intro.

I'm not a bass player but may be soon. Someone offered me a possible trade of a Burner for a 12-string guitar I have listed FS/FT in another forum. I'm looking for a good bass for recording.

I was told this is a 1998 Standard Burner. My old edition of the Blue Book makes me think this is actually a Custom.

http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/w...fcharli/bodie/

Assuming I make this trade, what might I expect from this bass. How does the tone compare to Fenders or Ernie Ball MM? And what might I need to use this in my home studio? DI or Amp? I'm a singer/songwriter... mostly acoustic.

Thanks so much for your help!

Chuck
Flagstaff, AZ
Old 02-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool Standard Burner??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Cheesman View Post
Hi all,

I just introduced myself over in the intro.

I'm not a bass player but may be soon. Someone offered me a possible trade of a Burner for a 12-string guitar I have listed FS/FT in another forum. I'm looking for a good bass for recording.

I was told this is a 1998 Standard Burner. My old edition of the Blue Book makes me think this is actually a Custom.

http://s734.photobucket.com/albums/w...fcharli/bodie/

Assuming I make this trade, what might I expect from this bass. How does the tone compare to Fenders or Ernie Ball MM? And what might I need to use this in my home studio? DI or Amp? I'm a singer/songwriter... mostly acoustic.

Thanks so much for your help!

Chuck
Flagstaff, AZ
That is a BSR 'B' model Burner, Custom Maple 4-string. Not at all a Standard which was only made in solid black then. Get the serial # so I can confirm the year for you. We shipped only about 10 of this exact model in late 1998, the year we introduced the BSR 'B' model.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Junior Posting Member

Thank you! I have a digital photo of the fretboard:

The numbers read 981605CM... the last number is obscured by a string. I'll try to get it from the seller. Here's the photo:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3455/...876c1e50_o.jpg

OK. I can see I'll need to learn to post photos here.

Last edited by Chuck Cheesman; 02-03-2009 at 03:14 PM. Reason: link to photo and mistake in number and I can't spell
Old 02-03-2009, 04:51 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool last #

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Cheesman View Post
Thank you! I have a digital photo of the fretboard:

The numbers read 981605CM... the last number is obscured by a string. I'll try to get it from the seller. Here's the photo:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3455/...876c1e50_o.jpg

OK. I can see I'll need to learn to post photos here.
The last # is a 4, =4-string but, the first #/Ltr. is a 'B' for BSR 'B'. Under the 'B' under the E-string and not shown either.

The serial number, date of completion and my signature are hand written on the inside of the back plate over the shielding foil. It should read as B981605CM4.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:43 PM
Junior Posting Member

Ken,

Thank you very much for the information regarding this instrument.

The fellow trading this bass was curious about what I'd learned about his bass, but even after seeing this thread and the fact that his bass is a different model he has agreed to the exchange. I probably still won't see the bass for at least a week.

I thought I was looking for a Music Man or a Fender bass. Obviously, I've got to try this thing out, but it looks much more interesting. I can't afford high end "boutique" instruments, but I've always managed to find affordable alternatives - like my Bourgeois JRA guitar - that retain some of the unique "mojo" of higher end instruments.

So I expect this will be fun!

And I'll be back back here after my new, old bass arrives.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:46 PM
Junior Posting Member

Oh... Thanks Tim as well! I don't know how accurate those numbers are, but they are just right for making our trade seem reasonable!
Old 02-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Standard?....Not.

This is not a standard Burner. This is a BSR-B: Custom Burner.

If the bass is in original excellent condition, I don't think you will be disappointed. My first Ken Smith Bass was a new Burner 6-String Standard (onyx black). It also happened to be THE LAST 6-String Burner to leave Ken's shop before they were discontinued. I still have that bass. It is because of this bass (i.e. quality, feel, sound, etc.) I stayed with Smith basses.

Depending on the condition of this bass, you should see a value in the neighborhood of $800.00 to a $1,000.00.