Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 09-25-2010, 04:24 PM
Junior Posting Member

Brian Hewett is on a distinguished road
Default Eden and Epifani works for me

I've been using an Eden WT800C with an Epifani UL2 4x10 for the last couple of years since getting back into playing professionally. This setup works very well for me and I've been very happy. In the Early 90's I used SWR equipment and it was great stuff and actually helped my playing quite a lot because the amps and cabinets were so clean that I could suddenly hear EVERYTHING I was doing. Before then I was used to playing through junk which was essentially hiding some bad faults. So, the SWR equipment was great for my playing but I find that the Eden amp is a bit warmer which I like a lot and it's just as clean and punchy as the SWR stuff. I can generally leave the EQ settings quite flat on the amp and can simply dial in many different sounds using my Smith bass EQ controls and varying the the way I pluck the strings by either shifting the location of my right hand or changing the the angle of attack or changing the strength of the attack or putting more or less meat of the finger into the attack or combinations of all the above.
The Epifani cabinet has a great smooth sound in all frequencies and for me it really shows off the beautiful sound of the Smith very well, at least to the best of my fingers abilities to make it sound as good as it can. I have another 4x10 cabinet of the same power rating as a backup cabinet although I don't like to have to play through it because the sound is not nearly as lively as the Epifani. It's more dull sounding and the highs and mids more harsh sounding to me. I'm open to trying other amplification equipment out there but there isn't much in my area in stock to try.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Junior Posting Member

Justin Long is on a distinguished road
WW Electracoustic Ultra
2 1x12 Bergantino Cabs

and sometimes i pull out the big daddy SWR Megoliath that normally just sits in the music room in my house..
Old 12-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Junior Posting Member

Ronald Skinner is on a distinguished road

I currenty using a Markbass 112 combo with a GK 112 Ext. cab for gigs. At church I'm using a MAckie1400i poweramp with a Dr.Bass 310 cab which really sound awesome.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols

I have been trying to find an amp to replace my Eden stuff, but nothing out there right now sounds good to me.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:13 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Question Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
I have been trying to find an amp to replace my Eden stuff, but nothing out there right now sounds good to me.
Why? What is your current Eden set-up (i.e. which amp and which cabinet)?

Old 07-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Posting Member

frederic vidal is on a distinguished road

My rig consists of :

Ampeg classic tubes head
Ampeg 8x10 cab
Avalon U5
Boss GT10B effect

At home and for small gigs

Markbass jeff berlin combo.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:43 AM
Junior Posting Member

Steven Freitas is on a distinguished road

SWR Headlite
SWR Amplite
Eden D210XST 8
Eden VSeries210 8
Boss Effects Pedalboard

Old standby

SWR original Redhead
Alesis Quadraverb rackmount
Ampeg single 15 extension cabinet
Old 08-01-2011, 10:15 AM
Posting Member

Scott Pope is on a distinguished road

Carvin. No, don't laugh -- really! It's great! I've been playing Carvin since @ 1993 when I was single and had all the cash to get whatever I wanted, and after trying literally everything out there, what worked best for me was a PB300 head through a variety of cabs over the years with Carvin drivers, and an SWR Triad cab for most of that time.

Fast forward to present: needed to get rid of the weight of the cab and get a rig I can run both EB & DB through. And now, with wife & son, limited budget, of course.

Where to go: back to Carvin. Their new MB12 with a 1X12 + 1X6.5 + tweeter is the most neutral sounding amp I have ever played through. Just plug in and go, with minimal tweaking necessary. When I need that bottom 1/2 octave, I put it on top of a homemade ported 1X15 loaded with - you guessed it - a Carvin driver from @ 15 years ago that I used to use with the PB300. For price/performance, it beats all of the better known names and the "boutique" amps hands down.

Everyone on both the EB and DB side of the bands I play in are all really impressed with its clarity, tone and presence. For me, it is very easy to use, intuitive, has the best usable contour curve I've ever used that really brings out the character of instruments, not just some engineer's idea of slap tone, and very versatile, with two parametrics. It also has all the features we've all come to expect from an amp, including onboard compression and a really clean and quiet XLR line out. No, it doesn't have an fx loop, but I've never used one on bass, anyway.

Save yourself several hundred dollars on your next amp purchase and look into an MB12.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Junior Posting Member

Steven Freitas is on a distinguished road

Nah, some of the Carvin stuff ain't that bad. Got a couple
of friends of mine running the power amps for PA use.
Pretty reliable. I know how it goes with family and such.
Getting my dream bass is 25+ years in the making. Still
saving up for it. LOL
Old 11-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Junior Posting Member

Richard Pearson is on a distinguished road

Since I just recently acquired CR5, heres a pic of my rig. My 2 Fearful cabs, and a LMII. I want to replace the LM with a pre/power amp setup to utilize the headroom I can get with these cabs. Plus I get a little distortion in the mids from that amp. The cabs are awesome with this bass, I highly recommend. They are very clear and articulate, perfect for the Ken Smith. A guy on Squawkbass designed them, and posted the plans for everyone to share, then he started his own forum site, with all the info. They are designed for the Eminnence 3015LF and 3012LF woofers, and utilize a 6" mid driver to cover everything above 700hz(don't quote me on that), plus you can add a high freq driver to get sizzle. They are LOUD, and light with the 15/6 weighing about 52lbs and the 12/6/1 about 10 pounds lighter. Anyway, I use this setup in a gigging cover band, but hope to break into the local jazz/funk scene eventually.

Old 11-02-2011, 04:53 PM
Posting Member

Lou Laurenti is on a distinguished road
Default Epifani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmund Nichols View Post
Hello all Ken Smith bass players. My question for all you talented bass players is what kind of amps do yall play your basses out of? I for one have an Eden head, with a Goliath III cab.

I play out of Epifani there the best and you can see them or purchse them at basssouthwest.com
Old 11-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Junior Posting Member

Dirk Blarinckx is on a distinguished road

Head :
EBS XD 750 Fafner II

cabs:
Hevos Powerset (2x10 + 1x15)
Hevos is a Dutch company. They design and build High Tech Amps and cabs!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	stacksmall.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	2293  
Old 11-28-2011, 09:54 AM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up Smith top....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirk Blarinckx View Post
Head :
EBS XD 750 Fafner II

cabs:
Hevos Powerset (2x10 + 1x15)
Hevos is a Dutch company. They design and build High Tech Amps and cabs!
Nice rig.

Wow....noticed the Smith top. Rare but great looking top on your Smith. What top wood is that? Looks like and reminds me of the Flamed Redwood that was used on the 20th. Ann. Models.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:12 AM
Junior Posting Member

Dirk Blarinckx is on a distinguished road

That is correct Tim! It's a KSA-5 20th anniversary in Flamed redwood!
its a Wonderfull bass! :-)

Dirk
Old 11-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Posting Member

Allan Todd is on a distinguished road
Default eden navigator

Has anyone here used an Eden navigator wp100 with their smith bass ?
I've been offered one & I have a behringer ep4000 power amp that I could use with it through an Eden 4x10 xlt cab,
I'm just wondering what kind of tone the nav would produce compared with my trace Elliot ah600smx,
Old 11-29-2011, 10:55 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Todd View Post
Has anyone here used an Eden navigator wp100 with their smith bass ?
Yes.

If you have a chance to pick up an Eden Navigator, I'd encourage you to grab it! You'll never need another pre-amp. The Navigator is awesome and the features are endless. And with your Eden 410XLT combined with a quality power-amp driving it; you should be VERY happy with that set-up.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Senior Posting Member

Question Comparison?

Quote:
I've been offered one & I have a behringer ep4000 power amp that I could use with it through an Eden 4x10 xlt cab,
I'm just wondering what kind of tone the nav would produce compared with my trace Elliot ah600smx,
Sorry, I can't provide a comparison of your Behringer or Trace Elliot gear. Again, a quality amp is VERY important . Just make sure you know what you are pushing into your 410XLT cabinet !

Old 11-29-2011, 11:06 AM
Senior Posting Member

Question 410xlt

Quote:
....I have a behringer ep4000 power amp that I could use with it through an Eden 4x10 xlt cab,
Is your 410XLT an 8 or 4 ohm cabinet?

Old 11-29-2011, 11:17 AM
Posting Member

Allan Todd is on a distinguished road

Thanks for that Tim, my cab is 8ohm, I sometimes run two of these cabs & my trace head will only run down to 4 ohms hence two 8ohm cabs, will the impedance make a difference Tim?
Old 11-29-2011, 11:42 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Thanks for that Tim, my cab is 8ohm, I sometimes run two of these cabs & my trace head will only run down to 4 ohms hence two 8ohm cabs, will the impedance make a difference Tim?
You will get way more coverage with 2 x 8 ohm cabinets as opposed to one (for sure). Whether you need 1 or 2 cabinets can only be determined by you and the area you are trying to cover (with or w/o FOH support).

My concern was more you being aware of your cabinets rating and power handling ability. The D410XLT(8) is rated to handle 700W. If, for example, you have a quality power amp that can pump out, say, 1000W or more at 8 ohms, you really need to be careful as to not overpower and damage your speakers: In this case, you'd have to trust your ears that your cabinet was not being over-powered. Make sense?