Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 11-15-2021, 02:16 AM
Junior Posting Member

Anthony Baker is on a distinguished road
Default Electronics - "NEW" Smith B.M.T. 3-Band EQ 18-volt Circuit?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and starting to learn a lot more about Ken Smith basses. My understanding is that new, recent Ken Smith basses come with a 3-band EQ with a 18-volt circuit.

I'm curious about when did the new circuit come out, and how it compares to older 9-volt circuits.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:47 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Baker View Post
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and starting to learn a lot more about Ken Smith basses. My understanding is that new, recent Ken Smith basses come with a 3-band EQ with a 18-volt circuit.

I'm curious about when did the new circuit come out, and how it compares to older 9-volt circuits.

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

The current circuit came out in 2004, so quite some time ago. The 3 differences are, 1-stronger pots, 2-uses 2 batteries for 18v so drain is slower. Also head room for distortion is higher but there was not problem with the 8v on the HR but it;s just there. and 3-the internal DIP switch which can alter the center frequency for each band. The two best combinations to my ear are the old or the new settings. The new default setting in my opinion work best but, the switch is there if you wanna change it Usually I get calls how to go back to how it was made when the loose the instructions.. lol..
Old 11-15-2021, 11:52 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The current circuit came out in 2004, so quite some time ago. The 3 differences are, 1-stronger pots, 2-uses 2 batteries for 18v so drain is slower. Also head room for distortion is higher but there was not problem with the 8v on the HR but it;s just there. and 3-the internal DIP switch which can alter the center frequency for each band. The two best combinations to my ear are the old or the new settings. The new default setting in my opinion work best but, the switch is there if you wanna change it Usually I get calls how to go back to how it was made when the loose the instructions.. lol..
Thank you Ken for the detailed information. It’s just incredible that we are able to ask questions and get answers directly from you. I’m falling in love with your basses quickly!

I know there’s people that love vintage instruments and old, aged wood is awesome, but I like newer instruments with all the improvements. The new black tiger elite ones look incredible!
Old 11-16-2021, 02:01 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Baker View Post
Thank you Ken for the detailed information. It’s just incredible that we are able to ask questions and get answers directly from you. I’m falling in love with your basses quickly!

I know there’s people that love vintage instruments and old, aged wood is awesome, but I like newer instruments with all the improvements. The new black tiger elite ones look incredible!

All basses we make are still made with old wood.
Old 11-16-2021, 09:20 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
All basses we make are still made with old wood.
That makes me think that getting a new Black Tiger Elite would be as good as any of the older Ken Smith basses then...makes me very happy to think that!

Chasing down the only Black Tiger Elite 5 in Japan right now

Tags
18-volt, 3-band eq, circuit