Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Amps, etc. [BG]

Old 08-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Posting Member

Don Edge is on a distinguished road

There are endless possibilities as to getting you where you need to be, soundwise. I would encourage you to pursue a better bass set-up vs. what you have. In the end, you have to be satisfied with your set-up and sound, outside of all the varying and subjective advice you may receive, including mine. All I can do is answer your questions and offer advice based on my experience.

True, I can honestly say that I don't think it is my bass but my set-up. Everything I have ever used in the churches has been trash but I made it work and it sounded good once I was done. Last Sunday I adjusted the entire time I was playing because it never sounded right.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:08 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Edge View Post
I found out it is a 4 ohm cab. They were discounting the 8 ohm cabs pretty good. So what is better for where I am playing, the XST or XLT, if only one is going to be used? I found them at Sam Ash Music on-line cheaper at 8 ohm. Bassemporium was all about how loud you could play. That is why they liked the 4 ohm.
I would start with the 210XST(8) based on what you've shared thus far. The 210XST will provide incredible tight low-end, great mid response, and clear/crisp highs (30hz-14khz; 103 SPL; 500W power handling). What's not to like about that?

The 4 ohm cabinet WILL pull more power from the amp, this is true. HOWEVER, that does not mean you will have more coverage. There is a difference. This is why I suggest staying with 8 ohm cabinets.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:14 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
The 210XST will provide incredible tight low-end, great mid response, and clear/crisp highs (30-14k). The 4 ohm cabinet will pull more power from the amp. HOWEVER, that does not mean you will have more coverage. There is a difference. This is why I suggest staying with 8 ohm cabinets. I would start with the 210XST(8) based on what you've shared thus far.
That is what I thought. I will stay with the 8 ohm. I really need to go somewhere and play this thing so I can hear it. I need to take a trip. The wife gave me the ok for the head and one cab. That is a good start. Thanks for the help, advice and sharing. It took a good part of your day. Thanks to you, also, Dave. It will be interesting to hear what my bass sounds like through this.

Don
Old 08-25-2009, 03:20 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
That is what I thought. I will stay with the 8 ohm. I really need to go somewhere and play this thing so I can hear it. I need to take a trip. The wife gave me the ok for the head and one cab. That is a good start. Thanks for the help, advice and sharing. It took a good part of your day. Thanks to you, also, Dave. It will be interesting to hear what my bass sounds like through this.

Don
Not a problem and your welcome. Keep us posted. And yes, take your bass (with fresh strings) with you when you try out that set-up. I think you will be impressed.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:27 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool

Quote:

Don
One more thing about the 4 ohm cabinets. I'm not knocking them; they serve a purpose and are fine. I'm just ensuring you know that you do recognize better coverage potential sticking with the 8 ohm cabs.

For example:

4 - 8 ohm cabs: 2 ohm load on amp.
2 - 8 ohm cabs: 4 ohm load on amp.
2 - 4 ohm cabs: 2 ohm load on amp.

There are other variations of the above set-ups, however, just make certain you know what your amp can handle. You don't want to burn an amp up by using the wrong speaker configuration. And, obviously, the room size, with or without FOH support, will determine which set-up will best meet your needs in the end.

Again, either the WT-405 or WT-550 will handle a load down to 2 ohms with no problem.

Old 08-25-2009, 03:36 PM
Posting Member

Found a store doing closeouts. Trying to make a deal now.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:37 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up Great!

Quote:
Found a store doing closeouts. Trying to make a deal now.
Great! Let us know what you decide to go with or if you have any other questions.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:11 PM
Posting Member

Is $1600 for the WT-405 and 210XST and good price. The WT-405 I found out is a display. They have two and both are displays, not new in-box. Should I jump on this?
Old 08-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Senior Posting Member

Question Couple questions...

Quote:
Is $1600 for the WT-405 and 210XST and good price. The WT-405 I found out is a display. They have two and both are displays, not new in-box. Should I jump on this?
Well, it's not a great price considering these are floor/display models. That's only about 30% off of list: Typical discount in this case.

A few questions:

1. Who are you buying from?
2. What's are the dates on the back of the amp heads?
3. Will you get the factory warranty on both head and cabinet (I believe it's 2 years on warranty)?
4. Is the cabinet new or also a display model?

I would try and work the price down a bit. Maybe offer them $1,200. out the door. Particularly if the amp and cab are both floor/display models with full warranty. You just don't know what kind of use or mis-use has occured with this equipment.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:56 PM
Posting Member

The cab is new in-box. What kind of date am I looking for? I will be going there tomorrow to look at it and play it. I will be playing a floor model cab. I will try to work the price some more. I agree with you. They told me they can't sell the Eden stuff because it is too high end. Tim, sending you PM.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool

Quote:
The cab is new in-box. What kind of date am I looking for? I will be going there tomorrow to look at it and play it. I will be playing a floor model cab. I will try to work the price some more. I agree with you. They told me they can't sell the Eden stuff because it is too high end. Tim, sending you PM.

There is a date written on the back of each head. This indicates when the head was built.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:01 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
[/indent]There is a date written on the back of each head. This indicates when the head was built.
I will look at it. I suspect it will not be too recent since they are both on close out. I was told people in NY look at computers to see what has been there and then decide what to closeout. This sounds to me as if they have been there a while.
Old 08-25-2009, 05:10 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool

Quote:

Quote:
I will look at it. I suspect it will not be too recent since they are both on close out. I was told people in NY look at computers to see what has been there and then decide what to closeout. This sounds to me as if they have been there a while.
Well, then they should also be willing to deal. $1,600.00 is too much. I think you can do better.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Posting Member

Then in that case...no deal by them, no buy by me. Maybe we can discuss some other options later, if they won't deal. I know there are other options, that are not quite as expensive. I can stick with cab but maybe change the head.
Old 08-25-2009, 06:30 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Then in that case...no deal by them, no buy by me. Maybe we can discuss some other options later, if they won't deal. I know there are other options, that are not quite as expensive. I can stick with cab but maybe change the head.
Well, if they don't deal, there are others that will. I would encourage you to stay with that set-up as a set.