Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Woods, Electronics, & Components

Old 12-14-2009, 08:53 PM
Posting Member

Tom Albano is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Tom Albano
Default Body sizes?

Hello, how do the size of the actual bodies differ, Im talking about the standard BSR shape. Specifically, is the 6 string body larger than the 5 string?
Also is this the same for the earlier Burner Series as well or are they based on a different template being the difference in string spacing?
thanks
- Tom
Old 12-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool BSR Sizes....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Albano View Post
Hello, how do the size of the actual bodies differ, Im talking about the standard BSR shape. Specifically, is the 6 string body larger than the 5 string?
- Tom
The BSR6 body is the same shape as the BSR5, with the difference being in the size. The BSR6, while the shape is the same, is slightly larger than the 5 to account for the fact that it has a wider fretboard.

Whether you are interested in a Smith 6 or 5, I wouldn't let "body size" factor into that decision. The Smith 6 plays really nicely, so, really it's a matter of whether you need a 6 or a 5. Either way, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Yes...

Quote:
....Also is this the same for the earlier Burner Series as well or are they based on a different template being the difference in string spacing?
thanks
- Tom
The burner bodies are more like the BT body shape. And yes, a Burner 6 body would be slightly larger than the Burner 5. Again, both are very nice playing basses; whether 5 or 6 string.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 12-14-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:23 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
The BSR6 body is the same shape as the BSR5, with the difference being in the size. The BSR6, while the shape is the same, is slightly larger than the 5 to account for the fact that it has a wider fretboard.

Whether you are interested in a Smith 6 or 5, I wouldn't let "body size" factor into that decision. The Smith 6 plays really nicely, so, really it's a matter of whether you need a 6 or a 5. Either way, I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
Hi the reason I ask.... I picked up a BSRJ 5 string (B-G)... Im most likely going to go for another 5 to string E-C with light strings or just maybe go for a 6. Im not sure at this point ... I am thinking more along the lines of going for a Burner this time.

Anyway I am around 5'6 the BSR 5 string size is great I have no issues at all with it (and I am sensitive to that kind of thing, not my height the size of the body ) it seems like the 6 stringers I see in photos are BIG. again I know its hard to tell from pics.....

anyway ...

Last edited by Tom Albano; 12-14-2009 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Burner....

Quote:
Hi the reason I ask.... I picked up a BSRJ 5 string (B-G)... Im most likely going to go for another 5 to string E-C with light strings or just maybe go for a 6. Im not sure at this point ... I am thinking more along the lines of going for a Burner this time.
The Burner 5 or 6 is nice. I've had both. I still have the last Burner 6 (Onyx Black) that Ken made. Bought it new in '99. It was my first Smith and my go-to bass for a couple of years. I still have that bass and it is still in excellent to mint condition in original case, etc. I took it out of the case a few days ago, after several years of case storage and the set-up had not changed. Neck straight and solid as ever. Even the tuning was on! You would probably find either very comfortable to play.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Well.....

Quote:
....Anyway I am around 5'6 the BSR 5 string size is great I have no issues at all with it (and I am sensitive to that kind of thing) it seems like the 6 stringers I see in photos are BIG. again I know its hard to tell from pics.....
anyway ...
Well, you won't know until you put one in your hands and play it. I would encourage you to do that, if you can. Don't be fooled by pics. Again the Smith BSR6 may have a slightly wider fretboard at the nut and bridge, with the string spacing at 18mm (like the 5), you'd be surprised just how comfortable it is to play.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Posting Member

Do you like the 2 band EQ on the Burners? From what Ive heard of them ... sound samples and you tube I know not the best way to judge but.... they sounded very nice.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:41 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Well, you won't know until you put one in your hands and play it. I would encourage you to do that, if you can. Don't be fooled by pics. Again the Smith BSR6 may have a slightly wider fretboard at the nut and bridge, with the string spacing at 18mm (like the 5), you'd be surprised just how comfortable it is to play.
if its only a matter of the fretboard being wider that would be ideal for me, Im concerned about the body being wider, I really like the 5 strings. I can take a look at Sam Ash in NYC they sometimes have Smith basses hanging on the wall
Old 12-14-2009, 09:48 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool EQ?

Quote:
Do you like the 2 band EQ on the Burners? From what Ive heard of them ... sound samples and you tube I know not the best way to judge but.... they sounded very nice.
I like the 2-band EQ, but prefer the 3-band. Why? Because the 3-band has the Mid control. The Mid's are where you are able to dial-in your tone in the mix: For live playing, I would'nt be without that. Oh, and yeah, much better to hear the bass played through a quality amplifer and cab!

Old 12-14-2009, 09:54 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
if its only a matter of the fretboard being wider that would be ideal for me, Im concerned about the body being wider, I really like the 5 strings...
Well, again, until you put one in your hands and play it, you won't know.

Old 12-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb 5-6..

The way we build here (not the Burners) the size/width of a bass is determined by the Neck, NOT the Body. Even if it's a bolt-on, the center block or neck running thru the center is what makes it wider or not. The body wings on all BSR models are the same and universal to go on any model, 4, 5, 6 or 7 string. The BT models have the same deal going with the BT wings.

The Burners are basically the same principal as well being that the continuation of the neck determines how wide the bass is overall.

On a BSR or BT wide model we make the 5-wide in 19mm spacing with 10mm nut spacing instead of 9-18mm spacing. The wide model 5-string Bass will be 4mm wider overall then the normal 9-18mm model. A 6-wide will be 5 mm wider between the 18-19mm model as well.

http://www.kensmithbasses.com/options.html .. Scroll down for spacings. The Wide model is not listed there, sorry.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 12-15-2009 at 12:01 AM. Reason: clarification..
Old 12-14-2009, 09:58 PM
Senior Posting Member

Default Well....

Quote:
...I can take a look at Sam Ash in NYC they sometimes have Smith basses hanging on the wall
Well, the only potential problem with that is this: If you do find one to "test drive", you may have to deal with a really bad set-up and/or dead strings due to many customers playing it. The ideal situation would be to locate the bass and "test drive" that bass where it is set-up for you and your playing style. On the other hand, if you are familiar with set-ups and know what to look for, you could find something nice, take it home, slap some fresh strings on it and set it up for you and be good to go!

Old 12-14-2009, 10:02 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
The way we build here (not the Burners) the size/width of a bass is determined by the Neck, NOT the Body. Even if it's a bolt-on, the center block or neck running thru the center is what makes it wider or not. The body wings on all BSR models are the same and universal to go on any model, 4, 5, 6 or 7 string. The BT models have the same deal going with the BT wings.

The Burners are basically the same principal as well being that the continuation of the neck determines how wide the bass is overall.

On a Bass or BT is we make a 5 in 19mm spacing with 10mm nut instead of 9-18mm. The bass will be 4mm wider overall. A 6-wide will be 5 mm wider.
Hello, Am I understanding this correctly, basically a 6 string is 5mm wider than a 5 string? or rather the center block on a 6 is 5mm wider than a 5 string?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:04 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Well, the only potential problem with that is this: If you do find one to "test drive", you may have to deal with a really bad set-up and/or dead strings due to many customers playing it. The ideal situation would be to locate the bass and "test drive" that bass where it is set-up for you and your playing style. On the other hand, if you are familiar with set-ups and know what to look for, you could find something nice, take it home, slap some fresh strings on it and set it up for you and be good to go!
I hear what you are saying....Ive been playing for a long time, I set-up my own basses usually, I solder from time to time. Even if the bass has a horrible setup as long as there are no major issues I think I would be able to tell overall how the bass and I would get along.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:07 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up Great!

Quote:
I hear what you are saying....Ive been playing for a long time, I set-up my own basses usually, I solder from time to time. Even if the bass has a horrible setup as long as there are no major issues I think I would be able to tell overall how the bass and I would get along.
That's a good thing!

Old 12-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Exclamation Sam Ash?

Quote:
if its only a matter of the fretboard being wider that would be ideal for me, Im concerned about the body being wider, I really like the 5 strings. I can take a look at Sam Ash in NYC they sometimes have Smith basses hanging on the wall
It has been YEARS since we sold 'anything' to Sam Ash. I doubt any of the basses of ours there is New. If by chance it is, it is old with dead or replaced strings and out of set-up as we know it.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb No!..

Quote:
Hello, Am I understanding this correctly, basically a 6 string is 5mm wider than a 5 string? or rather the center block on a 6 is 5mm wider than a 5 string?
No! I was telling you that a 19mm model is wider than an 18mm bass by 1mm per string.

Between a 5-string and a 6-string if they are both our standard 18mm then the 6-string is one string wider which is 18mm at the bridge end and 9 mm at the nut end. One string wider end to end.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
No! I was telling you that a 19mm model is wider than an 18mm bass by 1mm per string.

Between a 5-string and a 6-string if they are both our standard 18mm then the 6-string is one string wider which is 18mm at the bridge end and 9 mm at the nut end. One string wider end to end.
I get it ... Thinking about it now it seems pretty obvious. Just work with the actual spacing.

thanks Ken
Old 12-15-2009, 09:47 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool yes.. and..

Quote:
I get it ... Thinking about it now it seems pretty obvious. Just work with the actual spacing.

thanks Ken
The space outside the strings I call the overhang. That is the room from each outer string to the edge of the fingerboard. That measurement is about the same for all of the basses so yes, it's the spacing PLUS the overhang that makes up the overall width.