Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Music [DB] > General Double Bass Music and Playing

Old 02-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road
Default David Grossman

Anybody out there who does not know David's work is in for a big, pleasant surprise. As a teenager, David played and toured with the great jazz pianist Marcus Roberts. Before graduating Juilliard, he became a member of the NY Philharmonic's bass section. David has two new CD's out; "Bass of Both Worlds". One is a jazz record of mostly David's originals for rhythm section and three horns. The other is a record of classical works for solo bass with piano. To say David is equally at home in jazz or classical music is an understatement. Oh, I almost forgot--in school David was a key member of the jazz group. On Piano!!!! Anyway, to check out soundclips of his CD's, and to order, go to www.davidjgrossman.com .

No we are not related.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Chops...

Arnold, thx for posting this. I went on the 'site and listened to all the clip samples. That guy has some serious chops. On the classical clips, he was unbelievable with speed, accuracy and intonation high high up in thumb position on the 'G'. Thoroughly impressive. Again, thanks for the 'heads up'!
Old 02-28-2007, 03:29 PM
Posting Member

Nick Hart is on a distinguished road

David Grossman is a great player, great teacher, and all around great guy. His CDs are excellent, and he is even more amazing to listen to in person. I've been fortunate enough to go to a couple of his recitals and play in some masterclasses for him, and wow is all that can be said.

David Grossman has something incredibly rare, that everybody should listen to him for. He is one of the few orchestral players that isn't just a solid player but a musician and an artist. This is very rare for people who have gone as far as he did in the orchestra world. His musicality is amazing, and his knowledge is unmatched. But then again, when you take a composition, jazz piano, classical piano, jazz bass, and classical bass less every week through high school, that makes one hell of a musician.

Anybody who hasn't heard his CDs - buy them...If you haven't heard him play - next recital he gives go to it, and if there ever is a masterclass by him attend it and play in it if you can. I guarantee it will change you as a bassist and a musician.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

Whenever I see David I ask him if he's working on his conducting chops. He has the talent and intellect to run a major symphony orchestra, not only be playing in the back row. Usually he just smiles and says "not yet".
Old 03-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Senior Posting Member

stan haskins is on a distinguished road

Wow. Those recordings are great.

Is he using solo tuning on the Janacek?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:30 PM
Senior Posting Member

Matthew Tucker is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to Matthew Tucker

The Marcus Roberts CD "Time and Cir***stance" is just fantastic, I've been looking for more recordings of David ever since I first put that CD in my deck.