Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > KSD - Ken Smith Design

Old 02-19-2017, 01:44 PM
Junior Posting Member

Will Hanbury Jr is on a distinguished road
Default Any updates from anyone? And several questions

Hi everyone. I'm coming over from the Talkbass forum. Recently I purchased a KSD Proto J left handed sunburst. It is really a well made instrument. I like the electronics much more than the Fenders. The neck is gorgeous-- feels like it's 30 years old! In a very good way--like it's very broken in, very comfortable. It's easy to dial in a very low action.

Has anyone else been using these, and is the company even still in business? i see a couple on sale at Adirondack Guitars online, but never even hear of KSD anymore. To me it seems like such a pity because the product obviously was made with so much care and thought went into design.

My KSD is a lefty, but I restring my basses righty. Does anyone know if there's KSD distributor? I would like to buy an bass nut for my KSD.

I hope someone is reading this forum. Mr. Ken Smith, if you are reading this, please give the KSD line some attention and promote. You designed a SUPER product! I know you have no direct access to the actual basses, but a little bit of promotion would sell these excellent products!

Thank you for listening.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb

Ok, we do not make, promote, sell or service the KSD line. The D is for Design and that is what we do for this. D'Andrea USA is the company involved with this brand. I work for them as an 'on-call' designer when needed.

I don't think they are importing these at the moment but that might change in the future. In this slow economy, everything has declined so they stopped ordering them to be made in China.

The project started with a company called Brooklyn Gear, then buying from Korea. They turned it over to D'Andrea and with my blessings so it could continue.

I think some of this is explained in the KSD threads here.