Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 09-11-2010, 10:43 AM
Junior Posting Member

Jess Ting is on a distinguished road
Default error uploading jpgs

Hi Mike. I'm trying to post photos of a bass. When I click the upload button I get the error msg "Error 500 - Internal server error".

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

Thanks.

Jess Ting
Old 09-11-2010, 01:39 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Wink Well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess Ting View Post
Hi Mike. I'm trying to post photos of a bass. When I click the upload button I get the error msg "Error 500 - Internal server error".

Thanks.

Jess Ting
Well, it could be you are trying to upload a file of an unacceptable format.

The best way to display photos is to use a free service like Photobucket. You can upload your photo's there and then utilize links, etc., from Photobucket to post your photo's on Forums, eMail, etc.

Old 09-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Also....

Quote:

Thanks.

Jess Ting
Also, here's a Tutorial Mike posted here on the Forum back in '07 that may be helpful for you:

http://www.smithbassforums.com/showt...=9654#post9654

After you click on the above link, you may have to scroll to the top of the thread and begin with Mike's No. 1 post.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road

It really is more functional to just host your photos someplace else, all together, and then link to them when you want to post on a forum or whatever. Flickr is nice, but if you use it a lot it costs like $20 a year; Picasa (Google's service) is free I think, but probably has some other limitations. Either one is easy to use and then you have control over your photos.

Also, depending on what software you use to manage photos on your computer, you can often upload right to these services from that software. I use iPhoto (in macOS) for my day-to-day photo stuff and it works great for this.
Old 09-12-2010, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Mike Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Thanks.

Jess Ting
I've received this response before and I'm not exactly sure as to why at the moment. I will look into it again and see if anything looks out of the ordinary. For 99.9% of users (including myself) uploading/attaching images has always worked.

I'll post back if I find anything new, and hopefully a fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
It really is more functional to just host your photos someplace else, all together, and then link to them when you want to post on a forum or whatever. Flickr is nice, but if you use it a lot it costs like $20 a year; Picasa (Google's service) is free I think, but probably has some other limitations. Either one is easy to use and then you have control over your photos.

Also, depending on what software you use to manage photos on your computer, you can often upload right to these services from that software. I use iPhoto (in macOS) for my day-to-day photo stuff and it works great for this.
I agree that hosting your images on an online service is probably your best bet, especially if you want to be able to manage/access the image in any other way in the future. I offer the upload attachments feature for those who don't necessarily want their pictures (or mp3s and other media) hosted by other services for whatever reason, which I respect.

If your having any issues/suggestions with either this or the main site, either pm or email me and I'll get back to you on that.

Can't find something on the main page or the forum? Try our new KSB Site Search.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:06 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road
Cool

For the record - images and text that are uploaded to this site - as with other forums etc. - can still be captured by anyone who comes across the page, via screen-capture...

There's no aspect to uploading photos here here that makes them more secure, exclusive, etc. than Google or anyplace else.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road

For the record, I have had problems posting pics here. Sometimes it takes me 3 or 4 tries before my photo will finally upload.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:14 AM
Administrator

Mike Smith is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
For the record - images and text that are uploaded to this site - as with other forums etc. - can still be captured by anyone who comes across the page, via screen-capture...

There's no aspect to uploading photos here here that makes them more secure, exclusive, etc. than Google or anyplace else.
Yes that's true. I wasn't guaranteeing that it would be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hochberg View Post
For the record, I have had problems posting pics here. Sometimes it takes me 3 or 4 tries before my photo will finally upload.
And okay, hopefully by this weekend I'll have a chance to track this down and see what the issue is. I've had a few users contact me in the past about such problems and it could just be some weird bug in the forum software. It's usually a little more difficult to figure out these '500' error responses because its just the generic server error message, nothing specific about it.

Again, I'll post back with my findings. Thanks for the feedback!

If your having any issues/suggestions with either this or the main site, either pm or email me and I'll get back to you on that.

Can't find something on the main page or the forum? Try our new KSB Site Search.