Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 09-11-2008, 12:11 PM
Junior Posting Member

Nick Skelton is on a distinguished road
Default Do it all bass.

I have been looking at a step up bass from the Wan bass I have been using for the past few years. Is the target of one bass to do Rabbath style solo studies, orchestral and jazz (Think old style sound) beyond what is reasonably possible or would I be better looking for perhaps a jazz / orchestral similar to the recently sold Franco German bass and sticking with the Wan for Rabbath stuff (it is currently set up for this with the endpin etc) until I can raise the funds for a Laborie or similar.
Advantage to the two bass solution, would be the Wan is a very good bass and is already drilled for the endpin, and when fitted with Corelli Fortes puts out a decent volume. Jazz / orchestral model could then be selected for a less upper mid , more low end tone.
Advantage to one bass solution. Retire before 75. One less bass to transport / maintain / carry upstairs every time I leave town in Hurricane season .
The question is can anyone reccomend a do it all bass that could be used for all the above purposes. I have been mulling this question for a while and the best thing I have seen online was probably Ken's now departed Loveri. I am open to new or used but would need to stick resolutely to <$30K for a good to go issue free bass (or <30K total for bass plus work). I guess the Loveri was considerably more than that and was of an age and value that I would not have drilled it for the endpin.
I am looking to visit some shops in October when I get back. (KSB, Gage, Kolstein, AES routing looking favorite), and realize that there is no substitute for playing a given bass, but having read Phil Maneri's threads to their succesful conclusion, I believe the maxim "plan the work and work the plan" holds true for musical instruments selection and purchase. I am still in the planning stage trying to select a reasonable target.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:07 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Ken's now departed Loveri??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Skelton View Post
I have been looking at a step up bass from the Wan bass I have been using for the past few years. Is the target of one bass to do Rabbath style solo studies, orchestral and jazz (Think old style sound) beyond what is reasonably possible or would I be better looking for perhaps a jazz / orchestral similar to the recently sold Franco German bass and sticking with the Wan for Rabbath stuff (it is currently set up for this with the endpin etc) until I can raise the funds for a Laborie or similar.
Advantage to the two bass solution, would be the Wan is a very good bass and is already drilled for the endpin, and when fitted with Corelli Fortes puts out a decent volume. Jazz / orchestral model could then be selected for a less upper mid , more low end tone.
Advantage to one bass solution. Retire before 75. One less bass to transport / maintain / carry upstairs every time I leave town in Hurricane season .
The question is can anyone recommend a do it all bass that could be used for all the above purposes. I have been mulling this question for a while and the best thing I have seen online was probably Ken's now departed Loveri. I am open to new or used but would need to stick resolutely to <$30K for a good to go issue free bass (or <30K total for bass plus work). I guess the Loveri was considerably more than that and was of an age and value that I would not have drilled it for the endpin.
I am looking to visit some shops in October when I get back. (KSB, Gage, Kolstein, AES routing looking favorite), and realize that there is no substitute for playing a given bass, but having read Phil Maneri's threads to their successful conclusion, I believe the maxim "plan the work and work the plan" holds true for musical instruments selection and purchase. I am still in the planning stage trying to select a reasonable target.
Oh, ok.. I see now that you realize the price might be over your under $30k budget. The listed price was actually 45k which was lower than I originally wanted but I was motivated to sell it quickly which I did as I have many many restoration bills coming from 4 or 5 different shops now doing work for me. Your assumption was correct but there are other Basses out there to consider, new and old!

Here is something to think about. Some of the Basses in some of the Shops as experienced by Phil have been previously repaired to less that 'perfect' workmanship to put it lightly. It is unfortunate but you will find this in some Shops, I just can't say publicly which ones.

AES is on the top of my 'good list' of places to go and I do enjoy the company myself when I get a visitor out here which is quite often actually. My suggestion would be that regardless of where you shop, do not buy until you can have a person like Arnold or Jeff look over the Bass if you are in the New York area. They are the best judges in my opinion and do not 'stock' Epoxy, Crazy Glue or Carpenter's glue for repairs when no one is looking!

A Bass may look fine from the outside or to the untrained eye but if repaired improperly, the cost to re-do is far greater than if it had be just left alone. I have this problem now with my Gemunder that came out of a New England shop but I don't know where it was repaired or attempted to be! It is FULL of Epoxy and wood puddy/filler inside and out. This 'stupid' inconsiderate type of practice will cost thousands of more dollars to get it re-repaired correctly.

So, when shopping for a new Bass, be careful what you do and where you go. Hearing only one or two horror stories is usually just the tip of the iceberg!

As far as how many Basses to own, there s always safety in numbers. Basses, good ones that is have beat the Stock Market over time in my opinion. Buying smart is always money well spent and well invested.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Thanks Ken

Thanks Ken
A look in my retirement portfolio vs the ongoing increase in quality double bass prices confirms the wisdom of the last paragraph, although there is risk associated with everything. My unhealthy obsession with Telecasters over the years has at least been a set of gaining assets.
T
Old 09-12-2008, 11:44 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Maybe need a new bass anyway.

As I sit here, 12,000 miles from home in sunny downtown Houston, on the 19th floor in Jakarata, watching Ike approach on the tracking charts, I hope my main bass rides out the storm OK. If you see a posting next week in the luthiers area on the correct proceedure for drying out a waterlogged bass, you know what happened.
Bass, house and buddies all checked out OK. Back to bass search!

Last edited by Nick Skelton; 09-15-2008 at 10:12 AM.