Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 08-20-2014, 10:27 AM
Junior Posting Member

Alex Meadow is on a distinguished road
Default Fake Ken Smith on Ebay?

Hi all. I just wanted to make everyone aware of what I think is a fake Ken Smith being sold on Ebay. I'm not an expert on Smith basses, but I'm a big enough fan of them to know this one is beyond fishy. It looks like some parts from the KSD basses were added to parts crafted specifically to trick potential buyers as to the provenance of the bass. I don't know if the seller himself knows that he has a fake on his hands...otherwise he wouldn't be showing certain aspects as clearly as he is.

Take a look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ken-Smith-US...item2a42441cd1
Old 08-20-2014, 08:46 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Exclamation yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Meadow View Post
Hi all. I just wanted to make everyone aware of what I think is a fake Ken Smith being sold on Ebay. I'm not an expert on Smith basses, but I'm a big enough fan of them to know this one is beyond fishy. It looks like some parts from the KSD basses were added to parts crafted specifically to trick potential buyers as to the provenance of the bass. I don't know if the seller himself knows that he has a fake on his hands...otherwise he wouldn't be showing certain aspects as clearly as he is.

Take a look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ken-Smith-US...item2a42441cd1
Not a Smith bass and the Bridge and TR Cap and Logo is FAKE as well. The KSD producers are not involved but this is a modified KSD that someone tried to make it into a Smith bass. This is the 2nd time I have seen something like this. The last time was a year or so ago.

Last edited by Ken Smith; 08-21-2014 at 02:23 PM. Reason: More information found. KSD with modified parts to look real.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:06 AM
Junior Posting Member

Terry Takahashi is on a distinguished road
Default Good catch!

Good catch! but sold for 2k USD. I agree, it didn't seem like there was any intent to mislead.

Also, shouldn't the SN be stamped into fingerboard? Where's the SN on the comparably-shaped KSDs?