Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Double Bass Talk in General

Old 09-11-2008, 07:19 PM
Posting Member

Abe Gumroyan is on a distinguished road
Default Dr. Art Davis' Instruments

Hi Fellas,

Just wanted to let you guys know if you are ever in the greater Los Angeles area you should visit Los Angeles Bassworks owned by Lisa Gass. Lisa is an amazing luthier and a great person. While in her shop last month getting some tonal adjustments done, I was wandering around in her shop and she pointed to 2 AMAZING basses. One was a John Lotte and the other was an absolutley gorgeous Gagliano. Both of these instruments were owned by the late great bassist Dr. Art Davis. They were on consignment by Dr. Davis' son. The Lotte was Davis' jazz bass, great sounding instrument, warm thump, growl for days. The Gagliano was his arco bass. This bass played like "buttah". I think I played the Gagliano for a good hour. The low notes on this basses were earth shaking. probably the most earth shattering low c i've ever heard or played ... that is until I play Mr. Smith's Storioni someday god willing .
A trip to see these historic basses from a very historic bass icon was a special treat.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool The Basses..

Abe, do you mean 'Lott' as in the English maker John Lott (J.F. Lott Sr.) or Lotte (spelling) the later English Bow maker?

I met Art briefly in the mid 1970s and it was a pleasure. I never saw him play or worked in a section with him in the Studio so I know I missed out on seeing him play his great Basses. He had just written a Book and I had just earlier authored two double Album sets for Music Minus One. I don't know how we got in touch with each other but we met downtown in the Village at a College Campus building (NYU?) where I think he was teaching and exchanged gifts with each other (his Book and my MMOs). He was one of the nicest people I had met in the Bass world.

I will say this though to all who read this. I have met many great players and people in general over my lifetime and when they pass, I think of what more I could have done to know them better or learn more from them. When an opportunity presents itself, don't pass it up so easily. This is something you regret most when you read their R.I.P. somewhere!

Abe, my Cornerless attr. Storioni will not be playable any time soon for comparison as it is just going under the knife up at Arnold's. When it is all done up some year or so from now, it will proudly be displayed here on the Forum. This will be my main Orchestral Bass as originally planned.
Old 09-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Posting Member

Abe Gumroyan is on a distinguished road

Ken,

It is John Lott, circa 1810. My apologies, not to be confused with Roger Lotte hehe. Wonderful bass, I'm surprised it's not asking for more money from where it is priced now and certainly with the way English instruments are being sold. Would love to hear and play the bass with arco strings. If I am not mistaken Lisa also has to repair the scroll on the Gagliano as it had an old school extension installed.