Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > New Forum Member Introductions

Old 12-30-2008, 06:05 PM
Junior Posting Member

Andreas Henningsson is on a distinguished road
Default Greetings from Sweden!

Hi there!

My name is Andreas Henningsson and I come from a small town Kristinehamn, in Sweden, for the moment living in Skurup in the Swedish south studying jazz and improvisational at a great school called Skurups Folkhögskola. I play mainly doublebass but I occasionally play other instruments like cello, tuba electric bass or whatever I can get away with.

I mostly play modern jazz and almost free jazz/improvisation. But the sound that I feel most comfortable with is the good old gut sound! I really love listening to Mingus, Chambers, Earl May, Oscar Pettiford, Richard Davis, Jimmy Garrison, Scotty, Haden among others!

I you have any questions about me, feel free to ask them!

Best Regards, Andreas Henningsson
Old 12-31-2008, 10:37 AM
Posting Member

Craig Regan is on a distinguished road

My Grandmother was from Sweden! She used to make a delicious coffee bread for breakfast. We used to call it "kruntz". (spelling?)

Anyway, welcome to Ken's Corner.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:19 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up You like Guts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Henningsson View Post
Hi there!

My name is Andreas Henningsson and I come from a small town Kristinehamn, in Sweden, for the moment living in Skurup in the Swedish south studying jazz and improvisational at a great school called Skurups Folkhögskola. I play mainly doublebass but I occasionally play other instruments like cello, tuba electric bass or whatever I can get away with.

I mostly play modern jazz and almost free jazz/improvisation. But the sound that I feel most comfortable with is the good old gut sound! I really love listening to Mingus, Chambers, Earl May, Oscar Pettiford, Richard Davis, Jimmy Garrison Scotty, Haden among others!

I you have any questions about me, feel free to ask them!

Best Regards, Andreas Henningsson
I am using my Gut strung Pollmann tonight and Friday with just an old AKG Mic wrapped in foam under the Bridge arch. I love the Guts myself. Fun to play and I can hear my notes acoustically a bit better than steel. Not as smooth as Steel which I admit but it does take me back in time. Who wants to be living in the present time anyway?.... lol
Old 12-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Who wants to be living in the present time anyway?.... lol
People who don't want to be dead?
Old 01-01-2009, 05:32 PM
Junior Posting Member

Andreas Henningsson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Regan View Post
My Grandmother was from Sweden! She used to make a delicious coffee bread for breakfast. We used to call it "kruntz". (spelling?)

Anyway, welcome to Ken's Corner.

Hmm, I'm not certain about what you mean. Do you know any of the ingredients? Whe Swedes sure do like coffebread!

KEN:

Is that the Chordas you got from Carlos? What are they like?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:29 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool uh huh..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas Henningsson View Post
Hmm, I'm not certain about what you mean. Do you know any of the ingredients? Whe Swedes sure do like coffebread!

KEN:

Is that the Chordas you got from Carlos? What are they like?
Yes, the Carlos set. They are smooth under the fingers and slightly easier to Bow or play than the regular Chorda set.

I worked with them on last night's gig using my Pollmann. The band was a bit loud for playing acoustic or with a Mic and a small Polytone Amp. They heard me just fine but I would have liked to hear a little more myself. I don't have the Pollmann Bridge fit for a pickup. We play again tomorrow so I will bring my Bohemian Bass which had my Shadow pickup in the bridge tabs (Underwood copy) and use my own Bass Amp as well. I need more amplified type volume and a tighter sound than Guts with this group.

Sorry in advance for the off topic question and reply..
Old 01-02-2009, 12:13 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
I worked with them on last night's gig using my Pollmann. The band was a bit loud for playing acoustic or with a Mic and a small Polytone Amp. They heard me just fine but I would have liked to hear a little more myself. I don't have the Pollmann Bridge fit for a pickup. We play again tomorrow so I will bring my Bohemian Bass which had my Shadow pickup in the bridge tabs (Underwood copy) and use my own Bass Amp as well. I need more amplified type volume and a tighter sound than Guts with this group.

Sorry in advance for the off topic question and reply..
First grits, and now the frustrations of turning up at a gig with not enough clout!
This is starting to sound like the 'Down here (NZ)' thread! lol!

Last edited by Richard Prowse; 01-02-2009 at 12:14 AM. Reason: God, I hate those little green men and what they do in limiting the powers of the English language to explain itself!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:03 PM
Senior Posting Member

Oren Hudson is on a distinguished road

Hey Richard - I'm glad you haven't forgotten the grits. RE: You're previous question that you discovered the answer to by watching the Beverly Hillbillies. We typically use Quaker brand quick grits a/k/a enriched white hominy. Cooks in about 5 minutes - then you're in heaven.

The answer to the too little clout issue with Ken is perhaps best described with a paraphrase of a statement made by a past President of the USA, and I'm not sure which one, but it would be "Play softly and carry a big amp." Well, if you gots the room - use it.

I'm sorry you and the green guy just can't get along. Maybe a hybrid combining him and the yellow guy

Enjoy your weekend. I'm working on a partial restoration of an Acoustic Control Corporation 301 folded horn cab from 1973ish that I picked up January 1. It's got the 300 watt RMS Cerwin Vega 18" speaker. A true monster .
Old 01-03-2009, 06:22 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oren Hudson View Post
We typically use Quaker brand quick grits a/k/a enriched white hominy.
Oren, I think you might have meant harmony - please watch your spelling. I'm assuming that 'white harmony' is very diatonic.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:16 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Prowse View Post
Oren, I think you might have meant harmony - please watch your spelling. I'm assuming that 'white harmony' is very diatonic.
Thanks for catching that Richard. You are so right - those grits get to boiling, there's definately a major musical scale, normally in E, going on. I only wish that you could hear it for yourself. E I E I O.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oren hudson View Post
thanks for catching that richard. You are so right - those grits get to boiling, there's definately a major musical scale, normally in e, going on. I only wish that you could hear it for yourself. e i e i o.
g# g# f# f# e

Last edited by Richard Prowse; 01-05-2009 at 12:40 PM. Reason: ...and on that farm he had a bass player,
Old 01-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Senior Posting Member

Sorry Richard - my grits just won't do the g# g# f# f# e as long as the bass player is on the farm. Of course, if it were me, it would be the "funny farm" if you know what I mean.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:17 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Of course, if it were me, it would be the "funny farm" if you know what I mean.
Funny farm? I've never heard of humorous animals!
"Nay, but seriously folks..." added Betty the Cow after yet another of her witty retorts.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Senior Posting Member

Richard - are you so content after having your grits on the funny farm that you haven't been able to tell us about it? That's my guess. NO? Still looking for the perfect bowl or plate to put them on? I understand the problem. Make sure you check with Betty the Cow for your butter needs. Load your grits up with that fresh butter and let it melt right down the middle.

Enjoy your weekend. This one I'm spending on cleaning and servicing and installing wheels on an 80s Hammond 8202M spinet size organ. Played well during my tryout with 3 speakers and internal Leslie, but it is nasty and smelly. The owners had a cat that must have peed all over that hunk of keyboard , so first thing is the wheels and then the deodorizing.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:42 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Richard - are you so content after having your grits on the funny farm that you haven't been able to tell us about it? That's my guess. NO? Still looking for the perfect bowl or plate to put them on? I understand the problem. Make sure you check with Betty the Cow for your butter needs. Load your grits up with that fresh butter and let it melt right down the middle.

Enjoy your weekend. This one I'm spending on cleaning and servicing and installing wheels on an 80s Hammond 8202M spinet size organ. Played well during my tryout with 3 speakers and internal Leslie, but it is nasty and smelly. The owners had a cat that must have peed all over that hunk of keyboard , so first thing is the wheels and then the deodorizing.
Good use of the little faces Oren.