Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > Italian Bass School

Old 07-09-2013, 08:18 AM
Posting Member

Eric Hochberg is on a distinguished road
Default Da Salo

This was posted on TB and I thought you would be interested.

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainme...708-2pm6c.html
Old 07-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up wow..

Nice, gotta get me one.. lol.. Both at this last ISB and in 2009 there was a d'Salo brought in to one of the booths for a day or so but like in 2009, I missed seeing it because I didn't know till it was too late.

There is an old Brescian style bass available now but in extremely distressed condition. I saw it at the ISB but declined to get involved with its purchase. They thought it might be Maggini but the Fs are totally different and the upper bout and neck block area looks too modern for my mind to be Maggini or d'Salo. Having no clue what it is in make and the condition combined, I think it's a huge risk to get involved with such a project.

One bass that had been known for decades as a Maggini recently came to market and after its restoration, it was re-marketed as a d'Salo. So, if that is correct, then I have played on one of his basses briefly for a few notes. I have also played on two smaller Maggini's as well. When you play something that old, you can almost sense the ghosts of the past that played on it from centuries ago. Also, the brilliance of the sound is totally unique as compared to instruments from later periods.

I am usually worried about taking my John Hart bass out fearing it might get damaged at rehearsal or on stage in concert by some naive musician walking by too close and hitting it with a case or stepping over it. Compared to a d'Salo or Maggini, the Hart is a fraction of that value. Still, John Hart is recorded to have had instruments by both these Brecian masters and my bass is a copy of one of them in that respect. Possibly a 3/4 version of the Dragonetti bass. The upper angle break is higher up from the usual area of the regular Maggini basses and closer to the Dragonetti d'Salo that he played when he lived in London.

I can only imagine what it would feel like to play that d'Salo or Draginetti's old bass or one of the other few that are around. My friend Leon Bosch came close to buying a d'Salo once but it didn't happen as some foundation or origination bought it and then loaned it out to another well known player. A d'Salo is about 10-12 times more rare than a Stradivari violin. Think of it that way. Amazing!

Thanks for posting this. Now I can take my Hart out on all of my gigs and rehearsals as if it's just another bass in comparison. A d'Salo dwarfs most other fine English and Italian basses.

D'Salo IS the King of double basses without a doubt.
Old 07-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Senior Posting Member

Anselm Hauke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post

I can only imagine what it would feel like to play that d'Salo or Draginetti's old bass or one of the other few that are around.

D'Salo IS the King of double basses without a doubt.
Yeah, reminds of one day, about one or two years ago, when i played a gasparo and an amati side by side.

great feeling! :-)

i doubt an occasion like this will ever come again.