Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > The Bull Pit

Old 06-28-2007, 12:53 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Cleaned up..

Chip, I deleted some off-topic posts. This IS the Bull Pit so I give it some room to move off the direct topic but when it gets nasty or offensive, I think it needs to be cleaned.

Chip, if you like go back and clean up your own posts if what you are referring to is no longer posted.

Guys, please keep it friendly and not TOO stupid no matter how difficult that may be for some of you.

This is still a BASS Forum and not a Bull Forum. I expect MOST of the Chat to be Bass related with SOME of the Chat being non-Bass oriented to a degree.

Still, there are a few Threads and Posts in some Threads I do not at all like. This is not a public Street Corner. It is MY personal Private Corner that I share with fellow Bassists. Lets keep it Bass oriented as much as possible and find some other place for the silly 'I have nothing else better to do' kind of postings.

I believe that some of the nonsense here actually makes other more serious minded Bass People shy away from posting here.

Against the advice of my Son Mike, I still may go back in the 'Pit here and clean up some of the mindless chatter that does little more than take up cyberspace 'bits. Not my intention at all for starting this Form in the least bit. See also HERE for more of my meaning!
Old 06-28-2007, 11:54 AM
Posting Member

Steve_M is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Still, there are a few Threads and Posts in some Threads I do not at all like. This is not a public Street Corner. It is MY personal Private Corner that I share with fellow Bassists. Lets keep it Bass oriented as much as possible and find some other place for the silly 'I have nothing else better to do' kind of postings.
Ken, are you intending to create an online community or hold court? I can tell you which is going to last longer and grow faster, but it depends on what you want to achieve.

In my experience the most effective way to deal with attention seeking is to ignore it, or deal with the user offline. Having said that, this site needs activity or you run the risk of it dying on its proverbial feet. Richard in some respects has been keeping things bubbling although that has tended to over spill on occasions.

The other thing is that if there's too much control people feel like they're being imposed on and will leave. There's a fine balance to be achieved here. You can be dictatorial if you like but you may end up cutting your nose off to spite your face. Forums are about tolerating (within limits) and including people, not about restricting and isolating them.
Old 06-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question oooookk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
Ken, are you intending to create an online community or hold court? I can tell you which is going to last longer and grow faster, but it depends on what you want to achieve.

In my experience the most effective way to deal with attention seeking is to ignore it, or deal with the user offline. Having said that, this site needs activity or you run the risk of it dying on its proverbial feet. Richard in some respects has been keeping things bubbling although that has tended to over spill on occasions.

The other thing is that if there's too much control people feel like they're being imposed on and will leave. There's a fine balance to be achieved here. You can be dictatorial if you like but you may end up cutting your nose off to spite your face. Forums are about tolerating (within limits) and including people, not about restricting and isolating them.
So, in a shorter sentence, what do you suggest?
Old 11-18-2007, 11:45 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Is Steve M still thinking?
Old 12-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Junior Posting Member

Chip Diemond is on a distinguished road

Merry Christmas Richard!!!....
Old 05-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote: