Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Strings [DB] > Jazz/Pizz

Old 11-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Posting Member

Scott Pope is on a distinguished road
Default Don't Laugh - Prelude G string

Don't Laugh - D'Addario Prelude G string. Yes, the "student" one.

I just got done with a series of "standards" gigs and took off my Bel's ADG (kept my Spiro 3885.5W) and put on the Jazzer D & A I purchased some time ago for the upcoming Christmas party/dance club gigs that I play a wider repertoire, and I needed a G string quick and cheap. $13.00 and two days later I had a Prelude G string.

The Prelude is stainless steel wrap, a little more grey, than the shiny chrome steel wrap of Spiros, Jazzers and others. It's a mellow string with absolutely no twang. It has just a hair less sustain, but balances well with volume and feel. As a matter of fact, the entire Prelude set is almost identical, tension wise, to a Spiro S42 mittel set when strung on the same 106 mm bass. (PM me for a link to the threads with the math).

Let me say that again: good feel, intonation, mellow tone, sustain - No twang. None. Zero. Zip. Nil. Just tone.

Hey, for less than $15 (a lot of places are running free shipping specials now to Christmas), that's cheaper than most of the used G strings. Since they're that mellow, I'm not sure I'd use the EAD strings since I don't really arco, but the G seems to be a keeper.

So for everyone who routinely discards a Jazzer G, or Spiro mitt G, for being too bright or twangy, check this out.