Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Music [BG] > General Bass Guitar Music and Playing

Old 06-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Junior Posting Member

ED LOZANO is on a distinguished road
Default Keith Horn

Here is a clip I would like to share with you, with a six a string Ken Smith bass being played as the Master intended it to be played.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h5NcLtHkHg&feature=related Classic Ken Smith sound!

Last edited by ED LOZANO; 06-16-2009 at 08:53 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Posting Member

Christopher Rhodes is on a distinguished road
Default Here is the Corrected link URL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h5NcLtHkHg

Keith Horne "Bass Ball"

Here is a performance from one of the world's premier bassist's, Keith Horne. Here he is performing his own composition, "Bass Ball", with the Cameron Jazz Orchestra, circa 1995.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Thanks Chris

What a gentleman your are Christopher, I have watched this video 20 times and I never get tired of looking at it. I believe Mr. Horne's roots are from country and western music, as are mine. That is why I am so amazed at his soloing capabilities. Appreciate the help in posting this video. I always enjoy hearing an instrument being played as it was intended to be played.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Posting Member

Default Solos sound better on a Smith

I agree. He solos are amazing. I think he sounds better on the Smith than the others. Maybe I am bias towards a Smith bass. Smiths excel at fingerstyle technique IMO.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:19 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Rhodes View Post
Smiths excel at fingerstyle technique IMO.
I would agree. Not only finger-style but slap as well. I know for me it's about the feel first. Using the Smith Medium Taper Core Strings help towards hitting those 16th and 32nd note chops. I like the resiliency, snap-back feel, and tightness in tone you can achieve with these strings up and down the neck.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Posting Member

Default An example what I mean Smith's Excel at Fingerstyle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjZToHAIhE
Chick Corea Electic Band - King Cockroach; featuring John Patitucci on Bass.

Please note all the fingerstyle bass playing on the Smith, while the slap, crackle, pop stuff is done another bass. Mr. Horn demonstrated that both can be done on a Smith - however in this video - it is done using two different basses.

I suppose he desired a different type of tone for the slap (thump) section of the song.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:31 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool humm

Melvin Davis does it all, finger, slap and then some on all his Smith basses, 4, 5, 6 and 7 strings of which I have seen him play them all live.

Some people say they can't slap an 18mm 6-string. Melvin is bigger than the average person with fingers to match and he doesn't seem to have any problems at all.

Anyone here ever see him play the 7 on the Chaka Kahn DVD?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:51 PM
Posting Member

Default To be clear...

I use my Smith's, 6 and 7 string basses, for both finger-style and slap. In the youtube (Driven) clip in my signature area - I slap the 7 string bass 95%. So Smith basses can do both - and do them well.

I merely was stating that, in my opinion - Smith Basses excel at finger-style.

I am playing my 6 string now. Slapping, tapping etc;. When I play fingerstyle - it's another level for me, personally. Other basses can get close, but not the same as Smith is - for me. It just feels good an sounds so clear.

Everyone should "buy" a new Smith and compare for yourself

OK - that's my two cents...
Old 06-18-2009, 02:38 PM
Posting Member

Default Favorable Smith Bass comments

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKqn6Bpv8Q4
Got a Match - John P. on bass.

Notice the favorable comments on this clip. It seems a lot people like the tone and feel of Smith basses.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Greetings Ken!

I have seen Mr. Davis go from 7-string to mini-moog I believe on Chaka Kahn's videos. What a great ambassador for Ken Smith basses. You are right too Ken, his hands are huge.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Junior Posting Member

Gerry Sivers is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED LOZANO View Post
Here is a clip I would like to share with you, with a six a string Ken Smith bass being played as the Master intended it to be played.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h5NcLtHkHg&feature=related Classic Ken Smith sound!
Thanks for posting that amazing display! Anyone know if that's a Bolt on or neck through? I'm still new to the Smith line and can't tell yet.
I did not think that level of clarity could come from passive pick ups. The pops and percussive elements still cut through without sounding thin or brittle. I hope my Bsrmw can do that! I'll find out Monday.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Sivers View Post
Thanks for posting that amazing display! Anyone know if that's a Bolt on or neck through? I'm still new to the Smith line and can't tell yet.
I did not think that level of clarity could come from passive pick ups. The pops and percussive elements still cut through without sounding thin or brittle. I hope my Bsrmw can do that! I'll find out Monday.
Looks like an earlier model BT6 (NT). As far as clarity from passive P/U's? Sure, there could be that level of clarity and/or more. Most of what you are hearing is due to the players ability and the mix he has. One of the bigger differences between NT and BO necks is feel. When you get your MW, just make sure it's set-up well and with fresh strings. If your MW is in perfect working order, I'd bet you won't be disappointed with what you get out of it.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool

Quote:
Looks like an earlier model BT6 (NT). As far as clarity from passive P/U's? Sure, there could be that level of clarity and/or more. Most of what you are hearing is due to the players ability and the mix he has. One of the bigger differences between NT and BO necks is feel. When you get your MW, just make sure it's set-up well and with fresh strings. If your MW is in perfect working order, I'd bet you won't be disappointed with what you get out of it.

As far as it sounding like that in the clip? Well, that's up to you.

Old 07-02-2009, 02:18 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool

Also, Looks like an earlier model BT6 (NT) with what looks like the Smith Concentric BT Circuit (3-knober) with S/P Switches. The Concentric BT Circuit, if I'm correct, does not have the Mid control. The Mid control part of the circuit is where Bass cut's through the mix best. So, this would be good news for you as your MW will have the Mid control.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 07-02-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:21 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Also, Looks like an earlier model BT6 (NT) with what looks like the Smith Concentric BT Circuit (3-knober) with S/P Switches. The Concentric BT Circuit, if I'm correct, does not have the Mid control. The Mid control part of the circuit is where Bass cut's through the mix best. So, this would be good news for you as your MW will have the Mid control.
Great, I was hoping that would be the case! I saw the 3 knobs and guessed that the mid control was missing. I was not surprised to hear another great sounding Smith bass but clarity in the note fundamental was surprising to me because many other basses with passive pups and 2 band eq usually sound muddy. Imho, there's something about the presence of a mid control that adds clarity even if you don't use it.
I can't wait to get this bass!
As far as ability, I just hope I'm never asked to do something like that! Lol, he has a nice touch that suits his style.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Lightbulb huh?

Quote:
Great, I was hoping that would be the case! I saw the 3 knobs and guessed that the mid control was missing. I was not surprised to hear another great sounding Smith bass but clarity in the note fundamental was surprising to me because many other basses with passive pups and 2 band eq usually sound muddy. Imho, there's something about the presence of a mid control that adds clarity even if you don't use it.
I can't wait to get this bass!
As far as ability, I just hope I'm never asked to do something like that! Lol, he has a nice touch that suits his style.
If the mid control is on the bass and set flat not being used, then the sound is not affected by it either. No mid present or not should mean no mid as far as I know. At least that's the case with the Smith circuits.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
If the mid control is on the bass and set flat not being used, then the sound is not affected by it either. No mid present or not should mean no mid as far as I know. At least that's the case with the Smith circuits.
Ken, your Smith circuits must be something else! Hazlab right? I hope I'm allowed to mention this but on another forum, we were asked for our opinions on a new bass that was a bolt on, double passive humbuckers and 2 band eq. It fared well over all but it many that tried it out mentioned the lack of clarity. The next year or so, that brand came out with a NT version of the same bass with a 3 band eq and the improved clarity was the main comment. I wonder if regular 2 band eq's have a pre set mid range setting. Anyway, all that matters now is that my Smith will be here soon (if it survives it's journey from the west coast) and in between practicing more than ever, I can spend my time nit picking over these details to pass the time and maybe learn something!
Old 07-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool pre-set?

Quote:
Ken, your Smith circuits must be something else! Hazlab right? I hope I'm allowed to mention this but on another forum, we were asked for our opinions on a new bass that was a bolt on, double passive humbuckers and 2 band eq. It fared well over all but it many that tried it out mentioned the lack of clarity. The next year or so, that brand came out with a NT version of the same bass with a 3 band eq and the improved clarity was the main comment. I wonder if regular 2 band eq's have a pre set mid range setting. Anyway, all that matters now is that my Smith will be here soon (if it survives it's journey from the west coast) and in between practicing more than ever, I can spend my time nit picking over these details to pass the time and maybe learn something!
I have no clue what other people make. A bass should have a sound of its own within the wood itself. Then the pickups added should be just microphones in my opinion and to amplify the sound of the wood. The average bass out there cannot stand on its organic construction so at the onset, the pickups alone are colored to help a dead pile of wood sound like something. Then the EQ or Circuit is added and its ONLY function is to EQ the sound of the rest of the Bass, wood thru pickups.

Think of a fine violin, add a good mic and then eq it. Make it solid and shape it like an electric bass guitar and what have you? A Smith Electric Bass. We answer to a higher authority..
Old 07-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
I have no clue what other people make. A bass should have a sound of its own within the wood itself. Then the pickups added should be just microphones in my opinion and to amplify the sound of the wood. The average bass out there cannot stand on its organic construction so at the onset, the pickups alone are colored to help a dead pile of wood sound like something. Then the EQ or Circuit is added and its ONLY function is to EQ the sound of the rest of the Bass, wood thru pickups.

Think of a fine violin, add a good mic and then eq it. Make it solid and shape it like an electric bass guitar and what have you? A Smith Electric Bass. We answer to a higher authority..
Well said!
Old 07-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Imho, there's something about the presence of a mid control that adds clarity even if you don't use it.
Quote:
Yep. What Ken said.

My paraphrase: If you leave the Mid control flat (at center detent), than you get no Mid benefit and may as well not have it. I think what you'll find is if you add (i.e. + from center detent) a touch or so of the Mid control from the bass, you'll find your averall tone in the mix better. Just be sure you have a proper set-up for your playing style and a fresh set of strings.