Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Music [BG] > Jazz and R&B Corner

Old 02-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Senior Posting Member

Albert Smith is on a distinguished road
Default Gospel Players Corner

One thing I know for a fact is that Ken Smith Basses are among the most commonly played axes in Gospel music today. If you watch or are blessed to participate in any of the numerous Gospel concerts of late you will undoubtedly see a Ken Smith Bass. So I'm reaching out to my fellow Gospel music bottom lovers to show your axes, post a bit about the person, group or choir that has influenced your style of playing, as well as the type of Gospel music you play. (example: Praise & worship, Traditional)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bill& Al2.jpg
Views:	790
Size:	660.8 KB
ID:	48  
Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Smith View Post
One thing I know for a fact is that Ken Smith Basses are among the most commonly played axes in Gospel music today. If you watch or are blessed to participate in any of the numerous Gospel concerts of late you will undoubtedly see a Ken Smith Bass. So I'm reaching out to my fellow Gospel music bottom lovers to show your axes, post a bit about the person, group or choir that has influenced your style of playing, as well as the type of Gospel music you play. (example: Praise & worship, Traditional)
I agree Albert. Our fellow bass players are finding there is nothing like a Smith! I have traveled all over the country playing at some very large venues. I have been blessed to have had and have the opportunity to play with some of the biggest names in Contemporary Christian Music. My heart, however, is with the Praise & Worship music as we know it today. There is simply nothing like going to the Throne of a Holy Spirit lead Praise & Worship experience. I can easily say this because I've played on both sides of the fence. Know what I mean?

Most of my influences came from too many names to mention. All from the Secular side and many from the 70's. Off the top of my head: James Jamerson (Motown/Funk Brothers), Roco Prestia (Tower Of Power), Pete Cetera (Chicago), Dave Hope (Kansas), Stanley Clarke, Jeff Berlin, David Margin (Santana), Jimmy Sloas, on and on I could go, but I would be up for the next week trying to ID all of them. A ton of talent out there and my thanks to all those who contributed.

One of these days I will try to post some of my photo's. My collection is extensive, so, it would take much time. I'll work towards that as I free up more time.

Great Thread Albert!

In His grasp,

Tim B.

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 03-06-2007 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-08-2007, 01:54 PM
Posting Member

Ronson Hall is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up I'll Be There Soon!

Gentlemen,

I wholeheartedly concur with both of you!

I am an excusive Gospel & Praise Music bass player now, as I am the bass player for our church band (known affectionately as "The "E" Street Band"), and the Senior Pastor of our church! I agree, in that I have never played anything quite like a Ken Smith.

I am patiently (yeah, right!) awaiting the completion and delivery of my very first Ken Smith Bass!!! It's a BSR 5 MW Cocobolo over Tiger Maple beauty. It has a 3-piece neck, 3-band EQ, Morado fingerboard, with a Cocobolo headstock.

Our 10th Church Anniversary is March 25th, and I'm hoping I will have it by then. In the meantime, I'll mostly read your posts until the Lord blesses me with mine, then I'll jump in with both feet!

Blessings to you.

www.TrueLightSA.com
Old 03-08-2007, 03:59 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim, thank you for sharing you experiences and your influences, I'm most definitely not as experienced as you, but you inspire me through your post to stay in the shed and to define my style of expressing the music inside of me through my "Smith" bass. I hope to see a thread up soon that contains tips that bless us with knowledge such as yours when it comes to developing bass lines and feeling the groove. Great post Tim and don't be a stranger in this thread.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:01 PM
Senior Posting Member

Ronson, I'm excited for you and you chose great wood choices! Can't wait to hear what you think about it!
Old 03-08-2007, 04:08 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool

Quote:
Tim, thank you for sharing you experiences and your influences, I'm most definitely not as experienced as you, but you inspire me through your post to stay in the shed and to define my style of expressing the music inside of me through my "Smith" bass. I hope to see a thread up soon that contains tips that bless us with knowledge such as yours when it comes to developing bass lines and feeling the groove. Great post Tim and don't be a stranger in this thread.
My Pleasure Albert. I am glad you started this thread. Wish I would have thought of it!

Stay in the pocket on this side of heaven!

Tim B.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson Hall View Post
Gentlemen,

I am an exclusive Gospel & Praise Music bass player now, as I am the bass player for our church band (known affectionately as "The "E" Street Band"), and the Senior Pastor of our church! I agree, in that I have never played anything quite like a Ken Smith.

I am patiently (yeah, right!) awaiting the completion and delivery of my very first Ken Smith Bass!!! It's a BSR 5 MW Cocobolo over Tiger Maple beauty. It has a 3-piece neck, 3-band EQ, Morado fingerboard, with a Cocobolo headstock.

Our 10th Church Anniversary is March 25th, and I'm hoping I will have it by then. In the meantime, I'll mostly read your posts until the Lord blesses me with mine, then I'll jump in with both feet!

Blessings to you.

www.TrueLightSA.com
Hello Ron, I totally understand where your coming from, receiving your first "Smith" bass is a monumental event. I also am waiting for Ken to repair the neck on my CR6 six string bass, I can hardly wait to get it back. But I hope you receive your new "Smith" prior to your church anniversary, and knowing Ken he will do everything he can to ensure that happens.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:26 PM
Posting Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Ronson, I'm excited for you and you chose great wood choices! Can't wait to hear what you think about it!

Thank you, Tim!

You sound like a pretty experienced player, so I look forward to reading your stuff in the future. God bless you real good!
Old 03-08-2007, 05:05 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thanks Ronson. I look forward to hearing your report on your new bass!
Old 03-09-2007, 08:43 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Gentlemen,

I am an excusive Gospel & Praise Music bass player now, as I am the bass player for our church band (known affectionately as "The "E" Street Band"), and the Senior Pastor of our church! I agree, in that I have never played anything quite like a Ken Smith.

Blessings to you.

www.TrueLightSA.com

Ron make sure you post some shots of the new axe once you receive it, I'd love to see it and I'm sure the rest of the "Smith" lovers will too.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:33 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool New Smith on the way!

Quote:

Blessings to you.

www.TrueLightSA.com
The 25th. is getting closer!

Old 03-12-2007, 04:51 PM
Posting Member

Thumbs up

I've got my newest compadres Albert & Tim rooting for me (and you), so I'm looking for my first Ken Smith Bass very soon!

www.TrueLightSA.com
Old 03-12-2007, 05:17 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Will......

Quote:

Don, if this happens, I'm putting you in my will (I'm leaving you my ten speed bike, 8 track tapes, and some even better stuff!)

www.TrueLightSA.com

Hey! What about Albert and Me? Can I have the Smith?

Old 03-12-2007, 06:15 PM
Posting Member

Talking

Quote:
Hey! What about Albert and Me? Can I have the Smith?

As you well know, Tim, when we take leave of this world, it's understood that we'l leave the way we came...naked, and with no material possesions.

However, my brother, concerning my new Ken Smith? I'll have to leave you and Al someting else, cuz...

I'm going to try to haul it in with me!!!!! LOL!!
Old 03-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool

Quote:
As you well know, Tim, when we take leave of this world, it's understood that we'l leave the way we came...naked, and with no material possesions.

However, my brother, concerning my new Ken Smith? I'll have to leave you and Al someting else, cuz...

I'm going to try to haul it in with me!!!!! LOL!!
Too funny! Just make sure the box is big enough!

Old 03-13-2007, 08:10 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
Too funny! Just make sure the box is big enough!
You guys are off the chain, but I can understand once you get a "Smith Bass" its kind of hard to let go of it. Ron, Tim, we got to hook up sometime soon to fellowship, trade chops and grow.
Al
Old 03-13-2007, 10:15 AM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Off the chain....

Quote:
I can understand once you get a "Smith Bass" its kind of hard to let go of it. Ron, Tim, we got to hook up sometime soon to fellowship, trade chops and grow.
Al
The last of the 10 Commandments is "Thou Shall Not Covet".

The last of the 10 Commandments paraphrased: Thou Shall Not Covet (unless it's a Smith Bass). Surely our omniscient God meant it to be this way!

Old 03-13-2007, 10:41 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
The last of the 10 Commandments is "Thou Shall Not Covet".

The last of the 10 Commandments paraphrased: Thou Shall Not Covet (unless it's a Smith Bass). Surely our omniscient God meant it to be this way!
LoL, you are so crazy Tim, Lord forgive him for he knows not what he's said. Besides I got first dibs on the Bass, age before chops. LOL.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Senior Posting Member

Quote:
LoL, you are so crazy Tim, Lord forgive him for he knows not what he's said. Besides I got first dibs on the Bass, age before chops. LOL.
And besides you and Ronson are both from Texas you have to have mercy on us boys up here in NY.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:29 AM
Posting Member

Smile The Order To Follow...

Quote:

To My Newest Ken Smith Buds (Al & Tim)

There are at least two (2) things you must observe, and govern yourselves by:

1. I haven't received my Ken Smith yet (any day now).

2. I ain't dead yet!

Please, please wait until I "check out," then quibble over my bass, OK? LOL!!!