Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Music [BG] > Jazz and R&B Corner

Old 03-15-2007, 10:43 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Hadrien Feraud

Do you guys know about this new young Bassist from France dubbed 'The Next Jaco' by John McLaughlin?

From Bass Player Magazine;

Industrial Zen

Hadrien Feraud (John McLaughlin, Biréli Lagrène)

By Petra Jones | March 2007
Tapped by John McLaughlin as the next Jaco Pastorius, Frenchman Hadrien Feraud is making a name for himself. With his knack for calling upon a bewildering array of voices and effects inspired by all manner of instrumentalists—particularly keyboardists—Feraud is no mere disciple.

Combining rapid Jaco-esque 16th-note runs, expressive fretless slides, and sonic landscapes and textures reminiscent of fellow countryman Jean Michel Jarre, Feraud’s music is a unique style of chilled out, smooth-sounding jazz fusion. Hadrien made his first major concert appearance just five years ago before going on to win the French national contest Haut les Basses. With a breakthrough performance on McLaughlin’s Industrial Zen, which features the tribute “For Jaco,” the 22-year-old Feraud will release his solo debut, Rumeurs, this spring.
How did you come to play bass?
I tried to play guitar when I was five years old, but without much motivation. More and more I began to play bass lines on the guitar. I just love the feel of bass and drums, maybe because it’s so physical. I was 12 when I discovered Jaco; before that I enjoyed playing stuff by Eric Clapton, Sting and the Police, Z.Z. Top, the Rolling Stones, and Earth, Wind & Fire. When I heard Jaco and Weather Report the first time, I fell in love. What I love in Jaco’s music are the feelings and images it creates in your mind—it’s just marvelous! I immediately started to pick up all of his lines and licks, but I never took lessons or bought any books. I only had one idea: to be able to play what he played, as he played it. I knew that technically, through incessant work, I could arrive there. That’s what I always tell my students—you can do it! It’s just a question of patience and passion.
What’s your approach to playing and practicing?
Sometimes I don’t touch my bass for a few days. When I do practice, I try to branch out from my usual licks and phrasing by studying other types of instrumentalists, from guitarists like Biréli Lagrène and Sylvain Luc to pianists like Joe Zawinul. When you love music—not only bass—naturally you take a keen interest in listening to many instruments to feed yourself. It is very important always to think first of the music and to remain lyrical on fast melodies in songs as well as in grooves. I enjoy effects that create ambiences and even strange noises, although for soloing I like smooth effects that keep my sound precise.
How would you describe the music on your debut solo CD?
At the moment I’m into a mixture of hip-hop, jungle, ethnic, and electronic music, so some of the fusion tracks I recorded three years ago are not my vibe anymore. It took a while to coordinate all the musicians I wanted to play with on my project; some of them are really busy. We took the time to listen to all of the tracks carefully and start from zero on some mixes.
Just The Facts

Can Be Heard On...
  • John McLaughlin, Industrial Zen [Verve, 2006];
  • a forthcoming project with Sebastian Cornelissen (Dutch drummer/composer) to be released this spring
Other Projects...
Between his usual gigs, Hadrien plays in the power trio Le Cartel (featuring Jim and Jon Grandcamp, two brothers from Strasbourg on guitar and drums), and with the Jean Marie Ecay Trio.
Gear...
  • Basses: Ken Smith BT5G vintage limited edition; Mike Curry Bass special edition 5-string with wide cutaway; fretless Sadowsky 5-string
  • Rig: Ampeg PortaBass 2210 2x10 combo; SVT-3PRO head
  • Effects: MXR phaser, Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron, DigiTech Synth Wah, Ernie Ball volume pedal, DOD FX22 VibroThang vibrato, T.C. Electronic chorus/flanger