Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Bows (and Rosin etc)

Old 09-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Senior Posting Member

Thomas Erickson is on a distinguished road
Question Fine bows

I was going to post this in the thread about the Nicolas Maline bow for sale at 45k, but decided not to derail it... anyway -

I don't know much about really valuable fine bows, but then I don't think many of us do - perhaps someone who does can help out. Personally, I'm curious - with these sort of bows, where exactly is the value? What I mean is, for example with good basses, usually it is pretty apparent why an instrument is worth what it is - in material, tone or both. Obviously though, as we see (especially) with instruments other than basses, there are other less tangible factors involved - pedigree, history, etc.

So does the value in these bows tend to come more from these sort of academic qualities, or do they really have that much to bring to the party, so to speak?
Old 09-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool well..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Erickson View Post
I was going to post this in the thread about the Nicolas Maline bow for sale at 45k, but decided not to derail it... anyway -

I don't know much about really valuable fine bows, but then I don't think many of us do - perhaps someone who does can help out. Personally, I'm curious - with these sort of bows, where exactly is the value? What I mean is, for example with good basses, usually it is pretty apparent why an instrument is worth what it is - in material, tone or both. Obviously though, as we see (especially) with instruments other than basses, there are other less tangible factors involved - pedigree, history, etc.

So does the value in these bows tend to come more from these sort of academic qualities, or do they really have that much to bring to the party, so to speak?
I have owned many fine bows including a great Sartory. Back then, a Morizot was a common bow comparatively. The price for fine bows today start at about $5k and up to $15-20k depending on the bow. These usually play not only great but magical. In the case of this auction, it's a fine bow and a very rare pedigree. I have never seen it or another bow by this maker but I have seen bows for Violin and Cello in the upper end selling for $70k and $100k. For a comparable classic in a bass bow is seems that $45k asking price is on par. Perhaps if you call him he will knock it down a bit but don't expect too much shaved off.