Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > German School of Basses

Old 08-29-2012, 12:28 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Question F-holes

Has anyone seen F-holes like this before?

I have seen parts of the FFs here and there but not this combination of features on one bass including the bigger lower circle, the lower fluting seen easier on the left side, the upper tabs, curve, slant and placement. All in all, I think they are quite unique.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:52 AM
Senior Posting Member

Arnold Schnitzer is on a distinguished road

They look a bit like what Pollmann did in the 60s-90s, other than the extreme tilt, and the narrow shaft.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:35 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnold Schnitzer View Post
They look a bit like what Pollmann did in the 60s-90s, other than the extreme tilt, and the narrow shaft.
Thank's Arnold. I have seen a few old south German and Mittenwald basses with outer linings made flush with the top and back as well like this bass. But, the Varnish, Lion head and round back seems more like a Markneukirchen bass.

The length of the curve from the bottom to top look quite elegant, cut tight at the bottom, swelling open in the middle and then closing again to the upper tab which is small and almost Brescian looking. I think this was a one-off bass with all these combined features. It's not the first time I've found a bass that was hard to ID. I am fairly sure though we are looking at Germany or western Bohemia near the German border.

I thought the fluting on the lower tabs might date the bass later but in the Rosengard book is a Bergonzi that was re-built by Vuillaume and has the same tabs, original from the late 18th century.

In the Elgar book on page 160 is a James Cole bass. The Fs are a bit similar to these. I have seen some English basses with outer linings as well but mostly flatbacks. This bass however is much older. Of the 5 repair labels inside, 4 of them dated, the earliest is 1886, showing that the amount of work done then was enough to warrant a label, printed on vellum (calves skin) in fancy script lettering. One other even fancier label also on vellum and maybe older, has no date either but is a repair label as well.

One more mystery that might never get solved. Thus is the business we have chosen.
Old 09-02-2012, 02:46 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool the slant

I also know of this bass for many years from an English site that has extremely slanted FFs as well. Other than that, the two basses are completely different but attributed to be by an Albani from the South Tirol and listed in my German/Austrian book. This bass however is too Italian'ish to have any relation other than the Stainer influence in both instruments.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:42 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Cool oh, and right under my nose..

This is my friends bass I listed a few years ago, his main bass with exception to his large Orchestra bass with C-Ext as needed. Listed mainly for show.

This bass has slanted f-holes as well and it's a German/Austrian 'school' bass as far as the Top and Scroll goes. The Back and Ribs replaced by A. Meyer about 85 years ago.