Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Music [BG] > General Bass Guitar Music and Playing

Old 04-30-2008, 01:28 PM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols
Default What Kind of Music Do Yall Play?

I was just wondering, what is the most common style of music for Smith Bass Players. Mines is Gospel. I use my other basses for school and stuff, but when I play in church, I play my Smith.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Senior Posting Member

Bob Faulkner is on a distinguished road

Hard Rock/Heavy Metal/Progressive Metal

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 05-01-2008, 03:09 PM
Posting Member

Desmund Nichols is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Desmund Nichols

I never heard rock/metal played on a Smith bass. I wonder how that tone it.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:47 PM
Senior Posting Member

Sweet.. As it is in any style..

We're trying to get a demo put together.. once I have a decent copy of something i'll post it.
in the meantime you can get a complete crap version of it in the post your videos thread in the member bass clips subforum.

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 12-29-2008, 01:06 AM
Posting Member

Roger Vaughan is on a distinguished road

I don't know if I should actually post, as I don't have my Burner back from it's shop visit yet (sending it hopefully ina couple weeks!)... but I don't see myself doing anything different than I do already, once it arrives!

I'm doing a punk-esque rock project, kind of a bare-bones 3-piece. What I write isn't always apparently appropriate for a 3-piece rock band, but we're experimenting. The sound is generally pretty aggressive and fun at the same time.

I gig with a couple groups. One, "The Buddy Roach Quartet", is a mixed-bag combo of jazz, blues, folk and surf/ska. That's a lot of fun, and the Smith ought to slide into that without a seam I think.

The pop cover band on the other hand isn't really much to write home about; but I generally use the Peavey Dyna-Bass Unity or a Danelectro DC Bass for that one. More up-to-date pop stuff with those guys... we get paid to show up and make noise. Not the fav, but it's some side-bread.

I've been doing reggae for the last 4 years (recently left the band), and I was into a Celtic rock band when I was living in Miami around '91-'93 called "The Volunteers". We had a rock rhythm-section with a revolving cast of highland pipes, tin whistle, squeeze-box, harmonica and mandolin. That was a blast. Rough and ready crew, we had dancing, heavy drinking and the occasional fist-fight at gigs, usually instigated by the singer/guitar player's younger brother.

I'll post some clips, as they come up, after the Burner's all set and playing out.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:43 PM
Posting Member

David Alan McIntire II is on a distinguished road

I also play Metal and Rock on my Smith. In fact, been playin heavy music for a long time, and first time I heard a Smith thought it would be perfect. The wide low end is perfect for adding a little drive without thinning your tone, and the mid force and top end clarity keep me in the mix. Bout ten years after hearing a Smith, got one of my own. It's held up exactly as I thought, and made a believer out of my bands' members. I play fretless a ton as well, and as soon as I can get funds up, having a Smith fretless made like my current bass. I'll play anythin, anywhere, any time. But if have a choice, play my Smith. Every time.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:35 PM
Junior Posting Member

Keir Riggs is on a distinguished road
Talking

I play gospel also and believe me , the Smith is the best tone for gospel hands down!!! I also have a couple of off brand modified jazz basses but they rarely see daylight. Whenever I walk out the door it's the SMITH always!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Posting Member

Michael Wilson is on a distinguished road
Talking Everything under the sun

I play what ever pays, but i must say, i dont get many Rock gigs playing a Smith if any. Sure get alot of Funk, Gospel, R&B, Smooth Jazz, Ska, Weddings, Club, Big Stage, Small Stage, ect. But no Hard Rock. Once i got called for a rock gig and the band leader said "Where is your Fender" you mean you dont have a Fender? he made a call and got one and said "play it for my gig" Gig paid big bucks, so played the hell out of it. Still dont own one and never will. But for all the other stuff, they say "You bought the Smith Right" You Know It.

Mike
Old 05-01-2009, 10:43 AM
Senior Posting Member

If I went to a gig and the band demanded I play a Fender, I would turn around and walk out..

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 05-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Faulkner View Post
If I went to a gig and the band demanded I play a Fender, I would turn around and walk out..
You know, I would walk out too if they demanded what axe I play. But I might audition for a gig where the req was a Fender. Might be a good reason why. Otherwise, I'm the bass player, deal with it.
Old 05-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Posting Member

Dave Martin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Really? With no disrepect intended, does income from music make up the bulk of your living? Or, perhaps, is your schedule full enough that you can afford to walk out of a paying gig?

Understand that I came to Ken's forum to read about and learn more about the multiple facets of playing and owning double basses; I'm unqualified and disinclined to discuss the instruments that Ken builds, but anytime a statement like the above is made, I'm curious about the person who made it...

Since my personal taste in electric basses was set long before I learned about Ken's instruments (in 1971, when I bought my first Fender - a 1969 Precision), I'll happily play acoustic, 5 or 6 string or fretless basses when either the music or the person hiring me requires them. I'm honestly not trying to stir up anything here - I simply wonder how you have the freedom to walk out of gigs because you don't like being told what instrument to play.
Old 05-03-2009, 09:04 AM
Posting Member

Any self-respecting carpenter will be affronted if you tell them they can't use their Estwing hammer. They just ain't hearing that kind of thing unless it's a sensible point in their view.

Also it's easy to spew attitude without "being there" or having a real context to the question. Me, I'm only doing pickup gigs or small cover gigs, and the above scenario's just not likely to happen.

If a musical director tells me he wants an instrument, he'll give a clue about why. Now I'm being asked to have a tool-box, and that's different. If a band represents a real business venture and offers a decent livelihood, it again becomes a tool-box issue. I'll attempt to get 'er done.

But I've been hounded by an obnoxious, aggro, "dues-all-paid-up" drummer before about what bass, how I played, etc., and had to finally decide that I was doing just fine and didn't need to hear it. So now, generally when I walk into a situation, I am the bass player. I'm not there to get a bass lesson or be 'placed' with another's choice of instrument, etc. You will either dig it or not dig it, and that's the deal. Same with instrument choice. If I really want the gig, I'll be looking for what I have to do.

But don't cross me, man...!!

Old 05-05-2009, 10:35 AM
Senior Posting Member

I play for the fun of it. I'm in a band, and we get paid for the shows we play, but even with that this is purely what I do for fun. I make my living in the computer field, so I have complete freedom to do as I wish musically. If I made my living playing bass, I probably would still walk out rather than play a Fender..

I'd probably agree to play almost anything else though. I just seriously dislike Fender basses.. They are kindling for a good fire IMHO and that's about all they are good for.. I've never in my life played a good Fender bass. I've played many Fender's in my time, trying them just to try and find one that doesn't suck. Some were almost tolerable, but most would better serve as a door stop than a bass. If all basses in the world other than Fenders evaporated tomorrow, I'd probably just quit playing bass rather than be forced to play Fenders..

I hope I successfully conveyed my feelings about Fenders..

My band's site:
Delusional Mind
Old 05-05-2009, 10:31 PM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Default So, Bob...

Quote:
I play for the fun of it. I'm in a band, and we get paid for the shows we play, but even with that this is purely what I do for fun. I make my living in the computer field, so I have complete freedom to do as I wish musically. If I made my living playing bass, I probably would still walk out rather than play a Fender..

I'd probably agree to play almost anything else though. I just seriously dislike Fender basses.. They are kindling for a good fire IMHO and that's about all they are good for.. I've never in my life played a good Fender bass. I've played many Fender's in my time, trying them just to try and find one that doesn't suck. Some were almost tolerable, but most would better serve as a door stop than a bass. If all basses in the world other than Fenders evaporated tomorrow, I'd probably just quit playing bass rather than be forced to play Fenders..

I hope I successfully conveyed my feelings about Fenders..
So, Bob, how do you really feel?

Old 05-06-2009, 12:28 PM
Posting Member

Dave Martin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I understand, Bob - when i asked the question, I wasn't aware of your freedom to take gigs or not.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:47 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Martin View Post
I understand, Bob - when i asked the question, I wasn't aware of your freedom to take gigs or not.
I've just ventured down into this territory (The Bass Guitar Threads - I usually hang out in the DB department). In my bass guitar playing lifetime I've only put my hands on one Smith bass Down here (NZ). It was a six string and the guy who played it really made it sing. He gave me a go, albeit brief, and it felt like gold. Having said that I've played a trillion gigs using Fenders and they've never let me down - I love them. I've seen many great bass players perform on Fenders.