Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > This Old Bass > German School of Basses

Old 04-22-2015, 12:44 PM
Junior Posting Member

Matt Sorrentino is on a distinguished road
Default Bass Identification Help

Hey all,

So I bought my bass from Tom Wolfe's in Virginia about 2 years ago but have never been able to get much info about it's origin. The best Tom figured, it was a German bass from around the 1920's. No maker's mark just a repair label on the inside.

The varnish is not original and though it looks cool, it was an uneven job.

Measurements:

Scale 33 1/4 in.

Rib Depth: 8 1/4 in.

Upper Bout: 19 in.

Mid Bout: 15 in.

Lower Bout: 25 in.

Here's a link to an album with a ton of pictures of it if you are curious:

http://imgur.com/a/qxsIY#18

Thanks for looking and also for any info you may have!

-MS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1oL4Eor.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	3121  Click image for larger version

Name:	qhxrPLS.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	3122  Click image for larger version

Name:	tnGWGHy.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	3123  Click image for larger version

Name:	fyMMKcO.jpg
Views:	576
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	3124  Click image for larger version

Name:	IJ0GwK3.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	1,000.2 KB
ID:	3125  

Name:	ZXmbsyX.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	3126  
Old 04-22-2015, 02:37 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Default Scale 33 1/4 in.??

Really, 33 1/4" or.. 43 1/4"?

Being a violin cornered round back with sloping shoulders makes it a nicer grade bass. Mainly the wood, and corners. With the varnish re-done its not easy to tell if it was an oil or spirit or what color it was before.

Regardless of the varnish, I think the Saxon area pre or post war is the ball park. I think it would be possible to use old pre-war machines on post-war basses IF that's what the shop had left over in stock. On the string length (mensur or scale length for guitar people), if it is 43 1/4, then possibly pre-war as many 3/4s from the the late 19th to early 20th centuries were made a good inch or so longer in playing length than post war basses were made. I have seen 41s as well with older Bohemian flatbacks or roundbacks but many of the German made basses were long.

As far as an actual maker if there even was a maker or shop, I have no idea. The Germans made so much of the same thing for over 100 years that without a label that is authentic, you will never know. Also, even with a label, it could be a brand or shop label and not the maker or shop where it was made.
Old 04-22-2015, 02:59 PM
Junior Posting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Really, 33 1/4" or.. 43 1/4"?

Being a violin cornered round back with sloping shoulders makes it a nicer grade bass. Mainly the wood, and corners. With the varnish re-done its not easy to tell if it was an oil or spirit or what color it was before.

Regardless of the varnish, I think the Saxon area pre or post war is the ball park. I think it would be possible to use old pre-war machines on pot-war basses IF that's what the shop had left over in stock. On the string length (mensur or scale length for guitar people), if it is 43 1/4, then possibly pre-war as many 3/4s from the the late 19th to early 20th centuries were made a good inch or so longer in playing length than post war basses were made. I have seen 41s as well with older Bohemian flatbacks or roundbacks but many of the German made basses were long.

As far as an actual maker if there even was a maker or shop, I have no idea. The Germans made so much of the same thing for over 100 years that without a label that is authentic, you will never know. Also, even with a label, it could be a brand or shop label and not the maker or shop where it was made.
Sorry it's 42 in. exact on for the scale.

Thanks for all the info. I had a feeling that who made it would be lost to time I just wanted to hone in on the region a bit.

I don't know if you saw the label that was in there (attached at the bottom of this post) but I've always figured that it never had one and the repairer from the 70's just put a new one on.

Appreciate the help once again for helping with my history itch about this bass.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6Cq4Ob8.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	715.6 KB
ID:	3127  
Old 04-22-2015, 03:06 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool 42 in..

It would be 42" string length or mensur in DB talk, not scale.

On the who made it, it can be plural as necks might be made by suppliers, top and back plates and ribs but a team and assembled by another, finished by another, etc. Shop or cottage industry work. Whether this is a Handmade individual bass or not, we would only know if we find other exact basses that are labeled and confirmed along with knowledge of that maker or shop on how things were actually done there. So, probably just go with Saxony area and put it to rest at that.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:13 PM
Junior Posting Member

Default Good ol' basstard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
It would be 42" string length or mensur in DB talk, not scale.

On the who made it, it can be plural as necks might be made by suppliers, top and back plates and ribs but a team and assembled by another, finished by another, etc. Shop or cottage industry work. Whether this is a Handmade individual bass or not, we would only know if we find other exact basses that are labeled and confirmed along with knowledge of that maker or shop on how things were actually done there. So, probably just go with Saxony area and put it to rest at that.
Ha. So the bass is a ******* pretty much. That's fitting.

Thanks a lot for your help, Ken.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:52 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Yes, but a pretty *******!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:52 PM
Senior Posting Member

Eric Swanson is on a distinguished road

Yes, but a pretty one, nonetheless...