Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2009, 01:29 AM
Junior Posting Member

ramon ramos is on a distinguished road
Smile rare smith special order's? WOW!!!

Hi ken just wanted to ask you a couple of questions that i have been wanting to ask you.only thing ken is that my questions are at least 24 yrs old and i hope you still remember.from reading your other post's you still have a good recollection of old time's.anyways so i came across some old guitar player mag's at a swap-meet.the first one is from 1986 and what can i say ken,wow the issue has an interviev with a mr. anthony jackson and low and behold he's sitting down posing with what he say's it's one of two custom smith 6 strings you created for him.i have to say ken your very creative,you know your work.some of the specs he briefly mentions is that it has an ebony custom 34'' scale board and that it has an extreme arch!??. o the string set mentioned is 128-.028 is this a usual set of strings for a 6 string?.article goes on to show and describe the headstock and it's massive!,no dead spots period he says. how did you do it!!!! ken, obiously the mathematics involved but man ive wanted a smith for years and since own a bsr6mw but i never knew that you had done such work in the past it is one bad ass monster bass!!!.the body wings are small but slick. your body design here is smaller in proportion to your BT design.he state's that it is not the usual caviuna wood spec's but solid walnut?.and finally it has a custom made to his spec's quote ''equalizer circuit'' ken is this a concentric 3 knobber?? it look's like it has 6 possibly 7 control's.ok ken now for the Guitar world mag 1981 november issue this article has stanley clark posing with a ken smith flying ''v'' 4 string custom bass and it it's a neck through! and looks to also have a 6 knob custom pre amp smith or hazlab's?? or did you build this electronics package from scratch also did you do the abalone inlay's.well ken bottom line these 2 basses are beautiful.if possible can you include in your smith historythread more info on some of your other unknown bass work's and artist's models.please include any vintage dog house's youv'e repaired all hoping if time permits of course.thanks ken.