Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Double Basses > Music [DB] > Classical and Symphony Bass Playing

Old 10-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Junior Posting Member

Rob Menapace is on a distinguished road
Default french bow hold question

I've been studying classical bass method for about 2.5 years, as my work schedule allows. I use the same bow hold as my teacher, thumb on frog, middle finger reaches down enough to grasp the hair a little. Does this hold sound familiar to anyone? Or does anyone know of the origins of this hold? It seems common for french players to put their thumb on the stick. I know it's a matter of personal preference, but are there general strengths and weaknesses associated to these different bow holds?
Old 10-15-2009, 12:35 AM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool ok..

Here are the two holds I know most but there are a few variations out there as well. On the stick is known as 'French' and in the Frog is usually called 'Italian'.

Having a good bow helps. I would say the bow itself is more important than the grip. Why? Because even with the best Grip, you can't make a weak bow work well. Better maybe but it will cause more bad habits to form than you can afford the time to correct.

Good Bow, good bow hold, good bow technique, good bass that responds well to a bow, good strings and a good teacher. All this adds up to good music that will be more fun to play than punishment. Playing on bad gear is like getting punished. It's no fun and no matter how hard you work, you still can't get it as good as you would like.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:19 PM
Senior Posting Member

Richard Prowse is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Smith View Post
Good Bow, good bow hold, good bow technique, good bass that responds well to a bow, good strings and a good teacher. All this adds up to good music that will be more fun to play than punishment. Playing on bad gear is like getting punished. It's no fun and no matter how hard you work, you still can't get it as good as you would like.
Very true. I tried a bow a couple of weeks ago that was nowhere as good as mine. It made me think,
"My bow is definitely the most important piece of my bass equipment."
Old 10-17-2009, 05:37 PM
Junior Posting Member

Rob Menapace is on a distinguished road

thanks for the pics and comments, I was mainly wondering what is more common for french holds, seems like thumb on stick. My experience with trying the thumb on the stick is that I get a weaker sound, but maybe more control towards the tip. I always end up going back to thumb on frog.
Old 10-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Cool which?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Menapace View Post
thanks for the pics and comments, I was mainly wondering what is more common for french holds, seems like thumb on stick. My experience with trying the thumb on the stick is that I get a weaker sound, but maybe more control towards the tip. I always end up going back to thumb on frog.
That's is impossible to know which is used more without lining up all the players in the world and checking their hands.

The French grip is as you say, weaker in sound but better control of the tip. Spiccato might be easier. I use mainly the Italian grip and with a good bow, spiccato is just as hard to do..lol

Learn both grips and a few in between. Use what ever works.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:59 AM
Junior Posting Member

John Delventhal is on a distinguished road

Bow grips are very personal. Even the same grips can have little things that are very different about them. Like with a grip on the stick, the middle finger placement could be slightly on the hair to as far back as behind the ferrule on the frog. It depends on the person. Go with whatever feels right.

I've seen Edgar Meyer play a few times and he mostly uses one of the two grips Ken covered already. I believe he's an on the stick or "French grip" guy. This is just speculation from what I have seen. But, on occasion I have seen him play with his thumb on the slide of the frog. Here is a video of him doing it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZibZ-sB5YJA. He may do this for speed or to try to get flatter hair across the string, I don't know. Does anyone have a clue why he does this?