Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Smith Basses, Handmade

Old 08-02-2007, 03:37 AM
Posting Member

Mike Jenkins is on a distinguished road
Default Any suggestions on a 3rd party case?

My brand new BSR6 should be finished in a month or two. I’m looking for a ruff and rugged case that I can use for those times when I’m forced to check my bass with the rest of my baggage when I travel. I need a case that I don’t mind getting scratched up that will fit the BSR6 snuggly. I love the original Ken Smith case but the airlines will mess that case up pretty quickly. I also want a different case for travel because I don’t want Ken’s name on the side so that less than honest airline workers will not be as tempted to cause it to “mysteriously disappear.” And besides that, I just don’t want that nice Ken Smith original case to get scratched and/or damaged. Any suggestions?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:49 AM
Senior Posting Member

Tim Bishop is on a distinguished road
Cool Case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jenkins View Post
My brand new BSR6 should be finished in a month or two. I’m looking for a ruff and rugged case that I can use for those times when I’m forced to check my bass with the rest of my baggage when I travel. I need a case that I don’t mind getting scratched up that will fit the BSR6 snuggly. I love the original Ken Smith case but the airlines will mess that case up pretty quickly. I also want a different case for travel because I don’t want Ken’s name on the side so that less than honest airline workers will not be as tempted to cause it to “mysteriously disappear.” And besides that, I just don’t want that nice Ken Smith original case to get scratched and/or damaged. Any suggestions?

Mike,

I would suggest getting an ATA Cat-1 Flight Case. You can either have one special made to fit the dimensions of the bass, or you can do what I did. What I did was this....

I had an ATA Cat-1 Flight Case (made by Omni-Case out of Henderson, TX.). made based on the dimensions of the Smith OHSC. This way, not only can I include the bass inside the Smith OHSC and inside the Flight Case; I can also use the Flight Case for any of my other Smith's and just about any other cased bass I would ever own. Great protection and peace-of-mind (at least as much peace-of-mind one can have dealing with any Airline)?....Absolutely the best! Also, I had the case designed with recessed heavy-duty wheels and a pull handle.

Heavy?....yes. Will it cost extra to check it?....probably. Was the Flight Case expensive?......Was your Smith Bass expensive and do you want it protected on a flight?.....duh!

An alternative may be to get a well-fitted gig bag with an attached coat hanger. I have done this where I carried the gig bag on the plane as a garment bag. Now, that's been a couple of years since I've done this, however, you might check with the Airlines and see if this is an option. The problem here is this: Depending on who you talk with at the Airline, the risk is having a run-in with some "Barny Fife" Airline Attendant that feels the power to give you a hard time about carrying it on as a garment bag.

Or, maybe you can just locate a "decent" bass (lol..) to use on the "gig-end" of your flight?

My advice....go for the Flight Case if you intend to fly much with your bass.

At any rate.....Good luck!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 08-02-2007 at 06:04 AM.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:11 AM
Posting Member

Dennis Michaels is on a distinguished road

The only downside to it all is the fact that DON'T allow you to lock your cases any more. They want them unlocked so they can check the contents at any point... they are the reason I want to lock them. Good luck.
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Tone matters so play the best through the best.
Old 08-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Yep...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Bishop View Post
Mike,

I would suggest getting an ATA Cat-1 Flight Case. You can either have one special made to fit the dimensions of the bass, or you can do what I did. What I did was this....

I had an ATA Cat-1 Flight Case (made by Omni-Case out of Henderson, TX.). made based on the dimensions of the Smith OHSC. This way, not only can I include the bass inside the Smith OHSC and inside the Flight Case; I can also use the Flight Case for any of my other Smith's and just about any other cased bass I would ever own. Great protection and peace-of-mind (at least as much peace-of-mind one can have dealing with any Airline)?....Absolutely the best! Also, I had the case designed with recessed heavy-duty wheels and a pull handle.

Heavy?....yes. Will it cost extra to check it?....probably. Was the Flight Case expensive?......Was your Smith Bass expensive and do you want it protected on a flight?.....duh!

An alternative may be to get a well-fitted gig bag with an attached coat hanger. I have done this where I carried the gig bag on the plane as a garment bag. Now, that's been a couple of years since I've done this, however, you might check with the Airlines and see if this is an option. The problem here is this: Depending on who you talk with at the Airline, the risk is having a run-in with some "Barny Fife" Airline Attendant that feels the power to give you a hard time about carrying it on as a garment bag.

Or, maybe you can just locate a "decent" bass (lol..) to use on the "gig-end" of your flight?

My advice....go for the Flight Case if you intend to fly much with your bass.

At any rate.....Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Michaels View Post
The only downside to it all is the fact that DON'T allow you to lock your cases any more. They want them unlocked so they can check the contents at any point... they are the reason I want to lock them. Good luck.

Yep, that is a fact and where possible, make sure you are there to see it happen.....

.....And to each and every Terrorist out there: Bend over, bow down (whatever, either/or, you choose), I have a Flight Case I want to introduce to you!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 08-02-2007 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Posting Member

Mike Jenkins is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestion of the ATA case. Every time I fly with my bass I use the hard case because I know I’m going to have to check it because it takes up to much space in the overhead compartments. Those lucky guitar players can get away with just a gig bag since their instrument won’t hog all the space.

Once when flying I got my bass back at the baggage claim and all but one of the latches were undone. Every time I fly with my bass the airline personnel assume that it’s a rifle and insist that I check it in. And since they want it unlocked what I normally do now is show them that it’s a bass guitar and ask if I can check it in at the plane like people with strollers and such do. Most times they allow me to. So after I pass through the screeners I'm able to lock the bass and check it at the plane. The bass still comes back to me at the baggage claim.

Last week I flew out of Ontario California. I checked my bass in because I had other things to carry. When I insisted that my case stay locked I was of course told that it had to be unlocked, then the security agent working the checked baggage screener told me that I could just wait with him until the bag cleared the security check. All cleared and the case stayed locked.

When returning home I flew out of Omaha Nebraska. The checked baggage screening machines where behind the ticket counter wall. Every thing went back there on one of those conveyer belts. I again insisted that my case stay locked. Of course I got the standard, "It must remain unlocked" response. I told the lady my story about the undone latches and that I didn't want my bass to spill out all over the tarmac while the guy drives that baggage rig. I've seen plenty of bags fall off that thing while watching thru the windows at the gate. She proved reasonable and told me that I could give her the key and she'd lock it after it was screened and bring the key back to me. So I waited and when she came back she told me how beautiful my bass is. I felt a little violated because in CA they didn’t have to open the case they just screened it. In Omaha they opened it and this lady was the ticket agent not a security agent. But nonetheless the case got locked and all was well with the bass.

I said all that to say that you can keep the case locked for the flight but you might be subject to a little more BS than the average traveler. But in the end its worth it to make sure your bass stays protected.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:31 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Yep....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jenkins View Post
Thanks for the suggestion of the ATA case. Every time I fly with my bass I use the hard case because I know I’m going to have to check it because it takes up to much space in the overhead compartments. Those lucky guitar players can get away with just a gig bag since their instrument won’t hog all the space.

Once when flying I got my bass back at the baggage claim and all but one of the latches were undone. Every time I fly with my bass the airline personnel assume that it’s a rifle and insist that I check it in. And since they want it unlocked what I normally do now is show them that it’s a bass guitar and ask if I can check it in at the plane like people with strollers and such do. Most times they allow me to. So after I pass through the screeners I'm able to lock the bass and check it at the plane. The bass still comes back to me at the baggage claim.

Last week I flew out of Ontario California. I checked my bass in because I had other things to carry. When I insisted that my case stay locked I was of course told that it had to be unlocked, then the security agent working the checked baggage screener told me that I could just wait with him until the bag cleared the security check. All cleared and the case stayed locked.

When returning home I flew out of Omaha Nebraska. The checked baggage screening machines where behind the ticket counter wall. Every thing went back there on one of those conveyer belts. I again insisted that my case stay locked. Of course I got the standard, "It must remain unlocked" response. I told the lady my story about the undone latches and that I didn't want my bass to spill out all over the tarmac while the guy drives that baggage rig. I've seen plenty of bags fall off that thing while watching thru the windows at the gate. She proved reasonable and told me that I could give her the key and she'd lock it after it was screened and bring the key back to me. So I waited and when she came back she told me how beautiful my bass is. I felt a little violated because in CA they didn’t have to open the case they just screened it. In Omaha they opened it and this lady was the ticket agent not a security agent. But nonetheless the case got locked and all was well with the bass.

I said all that to say that you can keep the case locked for the flight but you might be subject to a little more BS than the average traveler. But in the end its worth it to make sure your bass stays protected.

Yep, been there and done all that.

Going forward, I will most likely just rent the equipment on the playing side of a flight and avoid the hassle of dealing with Airline personnel. I simply don't have the patience to deal with it anymore. I hate flying anyway and getting me on anything higher than 8 feet off the ground is not easy!

Last edited by Tim Bishop; 08-03-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:52 PM
Posting Member

Quote:
Yep, been there and done all that.

Going forward, I will most likely just rent the equipment on the playing side of a flight and avoid the hassle of dealing with Airline personnel. I simply don't have the patience to deal with it anymore. I hate flying anyway and getting me on anything higher than 8 feet off the ground is not easy!

I can't agree more. But sometimes it is a must...then I complain a lot.
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Old 08-08-2007, 09:32 PM
Senior Posting Member

Cool Complain?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Michaels View Post
I can't agree more. But sometimes it is a must...then I complain a lot.
Hey Dennis, if you complain half as much as I do, then between the two of us, we have the complaint department quite busy!

Old 08-09-2007, 11:21 AM
Posting Member

Quote:
Hey Dennis, if you complain half as much as I do, then between the two of us, we have the complaint department quite busy!

lol...what was their number again?
www.kensmithbasses.com
www.eden-electronics.com

Old 08-17-2007, 02:09 PM
Posting Member

Bill Doss is on a distinguished road
Talking traveling...

I agree with Mike Jenkins, give the case to the stewardess and the will check it inside the plane on a closet. They will give it to you as you leave the plane.

http://www.myspace.com/pbass19