Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB)

Go Back   Ken's Corner (Bass Forums Sponsored By KSB) > Electric Basses > Music [BG] > Jazz and R&B Corner

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Bassist, Luthier & Admin

Ken Smith is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up 'Fame' (BSR Burner Deluxe 4)

I am doing the show 'Fame' next week and playing Electric Bass on the gig. It will be the first 'Electric' specific bass Gig I've had since the late 1980's. I have played some Electric here and there but on Gigs, I was always able to either Play the DB, bring a BG by choice or double on both basses.

So, I call me son who has 'borrowed' my 5er and ask, "what bass can I use?" He tells me to use my younger Son's trans black BSR Burner Deluxe made slightly over 10 years ago. Because the color was off from the factory (charcoal black) I brought it home for my son Mike when he was in 5th grade or so. Now he's in 2nd year of college so you can do the math. He no longer plays bass so we have it at home as a practice bass.

I brought it into the shop today and set-up up for my double bass chops on electric and started shedding on the music. Some good R&B lines in this music and 99.8% written out. Reading syncopated 8ths and 16ths a must. Way different than playing in the orchestra.

It kind of feels like my old NY freelancing days playing what's on the stand with different music almost every day and sometimes 2 or 3 times a day.

I also have a doubling job this Saturday playing a concert and was asked to bring both Basses. Before looking over the music which I got by PDF I called and said I can do it all on the DB. After practicing half the 'Fame' book earlier this evening, I think bringing the Burner for a few pieces would be wise. Switching basses between tunes is no fun but playing fast 8th note lines on the lower strings of a DB is way more work for a Tune than taking a minute to switch basses and play an easier instrument for the music written.

So, I will show up Saturday most likely with 2 basses even though I have carte blanch to do as I see fit. Back to the old days for this week only, maybe not!

I just wanted to make it clear that with all the basses we have produced from simple to exotic I will bring out just about the lowest price bass we have ever produced with was an import and still put forth the sound and performance expected from a professional.